Aeon Multisensor 6 - No Motion or Tamper

With these sensors it is important that you already have the power connected when you include them.
This changes some setting in the device to report quicker.

If you first include on battery and then attach a powersupply, it will report on a much lower interval (because it thinks it is still running on batteries).

3 Likes

Good to know, as I’m getting my first MultiSensor 6 tomorrow! :grinning:

Have you noticed any (excessive) battery drain after setting up the MultiSensor 6 using USB power but switching to batteries afterwards? The manual states that you should include the sensor the same way you’ll be using it, as the settings based on the power source are set upon inclusion of the sensor.

For instance, on USB power the sensor will serve as a repeater, something it will not do on battery power. This means that, by including the sensor using USB power, you will make it serve as a repeater on batteries too.

I got my sensor a few hours ago. However, I forgot to order batteries with it…DOH! :disappointed:

I don’t use any battery powered sensors, i hate them :stuck_out_tongue: They slown down the network (it has to wait for all nodes to respond before being ready) and i don’t like changing batteries. So no experience with that.

In fact i have even modded a battery-only Fibaro motion sensor to work on mains power: https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/47703629#47703629

Hmmm maybe I’ll work on having this sensor run on USB power as well, considering I have the option. I recently also got a Door / Window Sensor 6 Gen5, but that one runs on a rechargeable battery only (and seems to do very well).

Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

I have several of these - for motion detection battery power isn’t an issue as they wake up immediately and report. For all the other attributes like temperature etc., they can;t report more frequently than once an hour on battery power which sucks. I have 2 I use primarily for motion on battery but the one I use for light levels to turn lights on is on USB power, and set to report once a minute.

And yeah, it kind of sucks trying to change their parameters with OZWCP on battery - you either have to go get them and put them on USB power or wake them up with motion and hope you can get the changes over before they go back to sleep.

Once they are setup however they work great. I had the previous version and these are a hell of a lot better.

Ah, good to know, thanks! I plan to use the sensor in my office to trigger the lights when it gets too dark while I’m working. So based on your info, that will only work properly if the sensor is USB powered.

I can confirm that changing settings of a sensor running on batteries through OZWCP is a pain. I had that experience with my Door / Window Sensor 6, it was constantly going back to sleep so it took some trial and error to get it right. Ever since then, however, that sensor has been working like a charm and seems to be very reliable.

Hmmm I seem to have a small issue and I don’t know how to fix it. In an attempt to test the burglar (motion) sensor, I picked the sensor up and the value went from 8 to 3, as expected. But it’s been stuck at 3 ever since!

Restarting HASS had no effect. Pressing the action button on the sensor once didn’t reset it either. Any advice?

EDIT: I figured it out myself: once the burglar (motion) sensor reports being tampered with (state 3), it will not go back to motion detected (state 8). It will first reset to state 0 (nothing detected) if no motion has been dected within the set timeframe (240 seconds by default, 300 seconds in my case). After that, it will go back to state 8 when motion has been detected.

1 Like

I have a couple of these previous GEN5 version (ZW074) and I can’t get motion or tamper to report either. The ‘burglar’ state seems to be just stuck on 7. Were you able to get them working with motion, everything else works fine.

I’ve spent a week going through all the threads here I can find trying everything I can think of - uninstalling, reinstalling, resetting, repairing and just can’t seem to get motion detected which is really all I want them for.

I’m using a Pi 2B with the AIO installer. Would it be worth ordering a Pi3 and trying a clean install, or after your previous experience should I be thinking about using something else - multisensor 6?

If you are going to change something I would say get the multisensor 6 - it worked a lot better. HA ran fine for me on a PI2 although I have upgraded to a PI3 then Beebox since then. I don;t remember ever getting the gen 5 to work well, the grn 6 works great.

barry, i had the same sensor and same issues.You will need zwave control panel (install as a docker install)

The fix is easy.
remove the sensor from your zwave controller via the control panel. Then ensure your sensor is powered via USB as it wont go to sleep. Then add the device, and configure group 1 225 and ensure iset to binary sensor. Ensure the device doesnt sleep during this process. Use the following docker command to get the config synced, replacing your zwave xml file name. Once saved, ensure that the xml file in the hass directory has the right value for the Command Options (i deleted the file xml in my hass to know once i saved in control panel the file was being saved by control panel).
Below it looks like its set to basic set as the vindex is “1” but its not. The options are either 0 or 1, 0 is basic set, 1 is binary sensor report.

>  <Value type="list" genre="config" instance="1" index="5" label="Command Options" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="1" max="2" vindex="1" size="1">
>                     <Help>Which commands to send when PIR motion sensor triggered OZW Ideal Value is Binary Sensor Report</Help>
>                     <Item label="Basic Set (default) " value="1" />
>                     <Item label="Binary Sensor Report" value="2" />

sudo docker run -d
--name="ozw-cp2" -u 0 -p 8008:8008 --device=/dev/ttyACM0 -v
/home/hass/.homeassistant/zwcfg_0xcxxxxxxx.xml:/home/ozwcp_user/open-zwave-control-panel/zwcfg_0xcxxxxxxx.xml
openzwave/openzwave-control-panel
1 Like

That’s fantastic news switched. Thank you. And thank you aimc - I might get a ‘6’ anyway, just to get things working.As long as someone has it working I’m not wasting my time plugging away.

One step I have definitely been missing is the remove device and add device part when making changes. I think I’ll reset all the z-wave devices tomorrow and just add a single sensor and see if I can get it to work.

Hang on… If I copy the zwcfg…xml from the OZCP directory to the home assistant directory and replace/delete the existing xml will this achieve the same thing as the command above? (After making the changes of course.)

The all-in-one installer installs the control panel at /srv/hass/src/open-zwave-control-panel . It’s working, making changes but I have noticed the xml in the HASS directory only changes modification date after I initiate a restart of HASS. I don’t know if it’s a docker install or not, I think the OZCP file changes as I make and save the changes in the control panel.

And yes, the vindex=0 on my HASS xml despite changing in OZCP to binary reporting.

The final arbiter of whether or not a device is paired is the stick itself. The zwcfg seems to be a cache and can be deleted and will be recreated by OpenZWave by running either HA or OZWCP. However, it seems to be possible to add some info and have it picked up like for instance device names by editing the file (although I always do this in OZWCP to be on the safe side) - in either case you should synchronize the file between OZWCP and HA - I use a symbolic link to do so.

Thank you aimc, I’ll look up symbolic links later.

Some success, they are now stuck on 0 instead of 7! I’ll see if they shape up after a few restarts.

I’ve reset the devices, reset the stick, even updated sensors to latest firmware (1.03) and seem to be doing the same thing over and over with no success. I think I might be missing something obvious. I tried editing the xml directly but no luck.

I might have to consider ditching my v5 sensors and replacing them with v6.

Is it possible to check if motion is even being reported at the sensor end with a Windows application?

One of my Aeon 5 sensors was “7” and still is i believe, this inst what you need to be monitoring. The motion detect is the BINARY sensor, infact just checked my configuration file and this is the name below. Check in your STATES to see what the status of this sensor is (it would be prefixed with “binary_sensor”)
binary_sensor.aeotec_zw074_multisensor_gen5_sensor_5:

These are the sensors that are useless, I’ve hidden them as they don’t change.
sensor.aeotec_zw074_multisensor_gen5_sourcenodeid_5:
sensor.aeotec_zw074_multisensor_gen5_alarm_type_5:
sensor.aeotec_zw074_multisensor_gen5_alarm_level_5:

I have the lux, temp, humidity and motion detect working.

Before using ZWCP, stop HASS process, remove the XML file in the HASS directory (zwcfg_0xc…xml). Fire up ZWCP, initialise device ensuring the unit was factory reset and USB powered before joining), from memory i joined to the contorller whilst in USB powered mode. Once added you should see the device not go to sleep mode… this is very important.
Make the changes, and then save the config. If all is successful, it will save to your config directory at this point. Check to ensure. Validate settings in XML as per the above and you should be good.

Remember to modify the docker run command to suit your environment, my config is in /home/hass/ as I am a standalone installer (not AIO) change the path to your directory, and to match the same name as your XML file name (this is different per controller).

1 Like

EUREKA!

There it is, my stupid simple error. It was working all along, I’d done it properly but was looking at the wrong sensor.

Thank you so much.

Glad you got it sorted, like you, I was close to just getting a 6 version of it!
Now, I thoroughly enjoy setting off the motion, and having it send me an alert via pushbullet for all my hours spent working out what and how to use zwave!

Already had the lights set up, and they are reacting nicely now, once I changed the sensor names it all came good. Had a “6” in my shopping cart today but decided to hold off for a week because I couldn’t really afford it. On to the next challenge!

1 Like

After restarting HASS, my motion (burglar) sensor is stuck in the ‘motion state’ (value 8) until actual motion is detected and the timeout has occured. Anybody happen to have this problem too with the Multisensor 6 (running the latest firmware V1.07)? And if so, how can it be fixed?

I’m getting tired of having to wave at my Multisensor 6 after restarting HASS. On top of that, I don’t always remember to do so. And it’ll only get worse if/when I decide to add more of these sensors to my setup.

Same error at my 2 Multisensores. Any solutions yet?