Z-Wave siren that can beep as well as alarm?

I’d like to find a z-wave alarm/siren that can make multiple different types of noise based on the message sent to it.

I’ve got a Neo Coolcam one, and I can configure it to make different noises, but once configured that’s the only noise I’ll get if I toggle its switch.

Instead I’d like to be able to ask the siren to beep every so often, for example while my alarm is setting, but also be able to make it do a siren noise if the alarm goes off.

If it can act as a z-wave range extender, so much the better :slight_smile:

Haven’t got one myself, but this looks promising

Look for Gen 5

User guide:

I would like an answer to this as well. It would be nice to have a siren lightly chirp when a door opens, etc. I have heard that the siren included with the Aeotec doorbell can perform this function.

@metbril I have that siren, while you can change the sound it makes on alarm, it cannot chirp or do anything other than perform as a dedicated siren.

From the manual it says you can create different scenes, and in each scene:

Step 3 - Input LUUP script “luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘altid’,Data=‘112 4 37 2 769’},1)”
769 is the only number you are concerned with changing. This comes from the hexidecimal value 0x301 (you can confirm this in a calculator) which will output sound 3 and volume 1.
If you want Sound 4 and Volume 2, then convert 0x402 hexidecimal to decimal and replace 769 with the new decimal number (1026).
The easiest way to view the hexidecimal is 0xYZZ where Y is Sound, and ZZ is Volume. Y can be changed from a number of 1-5, while ZZ can be changed between 01-03.

Which implies you can send it different message to make different sounds. Not sure how you’d do that in HASS though?

The Neo Coolcam should support an alarm and a doorbell. Both with 10 sounds.

http://manuals-backend.z-wave.info/make.php?lang=en&sku=NAS-AB01Z&cert=ZC10-17025443

I thought it can only be set to do one OR the other though?

It only has 1 switch in HASS for me to trigger.

This looks promising.

That’s a custom branded Neo Coolcam

As someone else said, the Aeotec siren will not chime/chirp but you can change the sound:

test_siren:
    alias: test siren
    sequence:
      - service: zwave.set_config_parameter
        data_template: {
          "node_id": 8,
          "parameter": 37,
          "value": "Sound 1 - Low Volume"
          }
      - service: homeassistant.turn_on
        entity_id: switch.switch
      - delay: 
          seconds: 1
      - service: homeassistant.turn_off
        entity_id: switch.switch

In the data template change node to the node of your siren, leave parameter as 37 and value is Sound <1 to 5> - <Low, Mid or High> Volume. If you turn it on then immediately back off it will usually chirp but sometimes does nothing. If you put in a 1 second delay it will sound for at least 3 seconds, which definitely sounds like an alarm not a chirp even at low volume. If you’re looking for the occasional warning but not quite siren it’s good (I use the different sounds entry delay/exit delay/alarm arming/etc on my alarm system). If you’re looking for a gentle chime when a particular door gets opened multiple times a day, this isn’t it.

2 Likes

See my fix for this (for a wired siren) here;

I looked into that a few weeks back and found a few threads that said it worked similarly to the Aeotec siren in that it basically just shows up as one switch. The other functionality isn’t implemented.

Found out that while my Neo Coolcam siren only shows 1 switch, you can use a script to switch it between doorbell and alarm mode before playing the sound, or change the sound itself. e.g.

set_siren_to_alarm:
  alias: "Set Siren To Alarm Mode"
  sequence:
        "node_id": 7,
        "parameter": 7,
        "value": "Alarm music"
      }

set_siren_to_doorbell:
  alias: "Set Siren To Doorbell Mode"
  sequence:
        "node_id": 7,
        "parameter": 7,
        "value": "Door bell music"
      }

Hi soul which siren you are using? Snd with which doirbell please? Im buying dome staff to start working on mine snd would rather buy something ghat can eork.

Thanks jurgenp

I’m using the NeoCoolcam battery powered one.

Thanks a lot for the reply,

I am more inclined in buying the one with 5V power supply to avoid having changing the batteries.

Guess i need to buy one and try it to check if i can work the same you did. I will check the commands at least before to confirm that they are similar and w’ll take it from there.

thanks again

Do you have more info into how to install the Neo Coolcam siren into HASSIO? what controller are you using?

I do have the HUSBZB-1 USB Hub, I can see it but what should I configure to be able to activate it ot de active it?

Sorry to restart an old thread, I have my siren connected to a Raspberry Pi via a Z-Wave.Me UZB Smart Home Stick and using the standard Z-Wave integration (https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zwave).

It shows up fine, I can see all the config details and they are as shown above. But I don’t seem to get a response when I send a command to configure sounds, and using the switch it doesn’t make any noise. Any ideas?

EDIT: I stopped and restarted my Z-Wave network and it now appears to be working as expected.

Thx for your scripts. They worked for me, but until I upgraded to z-wave js.
The new service to change configuration parameter in z-wave js is zwave_js.set_config_parameter but unfortunately the same values in the template do not work. Any idea how this would work in z-wave js case?

I’ve got the same issue here, and from trying to read at zwave-js - Z-Wave driver written entirely in JavaScript/TypeScript, I am not so sure we can even expect it to be fully implemented :-/

“The API for the required Command Class is not implemented in this library yet”

Although, since I cant really see what the real result of a COMMAND_CLASS_INDICATE becomes, since the log only complains on key-errors or suchlike.