Z-Wave USB Stick Recommendations

I currently have older zwave USB stick looking for recommendation on replacement.

Looks like Zooz or Aeotec Z-Stick 7 Plus is a solid choice. Anybody play or have zooz 800?

Also if I change out my USB stick do I have to remove and re include all my devices?

I’ve successfully running the Aeotec 5 series for about 6 years so I’d imagine the 7 would be good.

With the Aeotec devices there is a way of backing up the config to a PC to then dump onto a new stick.

Why do you want to replace it? Is it not working?

Do you have to rejoin depends on what stick you have now, what firmware level it has and what ZWave integration you use.

I’m using zwave js UI and stick that I have is an old stick from homeseer stick 700. for the pass few days I will get drop outs through the day

Ther are known stability firmware updates for sticks running a 700 series chip. Be sure you are up to date for your stick to clear known issues before you start upgrading because you might not be fixing the right issue.

From a newer stick running a 500 chip or a 700 chip using ZwaveJS-UI is pretty much as easy as backing up the nvm and restoring it to the other stick and restarting JWJSUI a couple times. But again to confirm we’d need the EXACT MODEL number of your stick and what firmware level it is at.

The Z-Wave JS documentation (look at the Add-ons page for the Documentation tab) has a lot of useful recommendations and opinions of how specific manufacturers behave:

After many years of Z-Wave, the reviews look balanced to me - e.g. Fibaro make pretty kit, but outright refuse to release firmware updates. This lack of support forced me to buy an old HomeCentre Lite just to fix several broken FGD-212 dimmers.

Overall Aeotec are good, but do screw up occasionally and igmore the issue (e.g. v5 stick USB hardware mistake).

I’d heard the 700 series driver issues had calmed down (sadly no direct links to share), but then again, mine is a 500 (Aeotec v5 with a hardware fix applied).

EDIT: Found the 700 series reference

this bug is largely, if not completely, resolved as of firmware version 7.17.2

Hey guys this is what I have

Not sure if it’s specific my for there’s software. Looking close it looks like it’s silicon labs that made it for them. But I could be wrong. It does come up as silicon labs at ha and firmware is 7.17.2

Just this morning I woke up with all my landscape lights still on and one of my dead bolts locks gray out. I was able to remotely turn off all the lights but lock I had to manually turn to come back on line. Lock was gray out showing unavailable.

7.18.3 seems to be the current Silicone Labs version running on my Zooz 700 series, seems rock solid.

Is there a way to update firmware right from home assistant ?

Ok so I just find out that homeseer usb drive is specific to there software, at list is what they say.

So going back to the original question what would you guys recommended for a new USB Dongle for US market.

There’s an Update button on the device page.

The SmartStick+ G3 USB controller is not tied to any specific software. It works the same with Z-Wave JS as every other USB stick. It even says that on the page you linked.

Z-Wave Plus V2 (700 Series Chip) Interface for use with HomeSeer and other brand software and hubs

Yes, I saw that but when I spoke to homeseer tech support they claim the difference. I even ask them who make it for them and they said its there own. To me it looks just like siliconlab one in black case instead of white.

There was some miscommunication then. Their USB stick is their own, but it works with any software.

You should at least update the stick firmware. HS currently provides 7.18.2. You can use the PC-Controller software as instructed, or download the GBL file and update through Home Assistant.

https://docs.homeseer.com/products/interfaces/smartstick+/updating-z-wave-firmware-for-smartstick+-or-z-net

Thank you, Im so new to home assistant im still all over the place, How can I download gbl file to do it through HA?

It’s in the zip file you can download in the link above.

I did download PC version not the znet and I found this files with the file extension:

Also i would use awave js u to perform this update? do i have to shut down the controller when doing this in HA

Click the update button on the device page and provide the file.

Or move the stick to a Windows PC and follow the instructions from HomeSeer.

This is what i got doing it through the zwave js U
How do i put the controller in boot mode ? and its not being updated don’t understand