Z-wave works under VirtualBox, impossible under Docker

I have a Nortek HubZ stick with both Zigbee and Z-Wave functionality. Zigbee is detected and works under Docker.
But, no matter what I do or how I map devices, I get “Failed to connect” when I try to add the Z-Wave integration under Docker.
The container is running in Host network mode and is privileged. I’m convinced the devices are correctly mapped, using both /dev/ttyUSB0x and /dev/serial/by-id/…

I believe there’s some issue with the z-wave JS server, but since I’m running the containerized version of HA I don’t have an add-on store to manually install it from. When I set up the integration in VirtualBox it must have gone ahead and installed it automatically.
It fails instantly when trying to connect to ws://localhost:3000 and via the machine’s IP. Possibly also relevant: when running under Docker, HA is not accessible via. homeassistant.local; I have to use the IP or localhost.

I’m not sure which logs to check or where they’re located.

Any help is appreciated.

HA doesn’t use the Z-Wave device. It integrates with Z-Wave by connecting to a remote server, and the server talks to the Z-Wave device. So mapping the device into the HA container doesn’t accomplish anything.

With a container install, you’ll need to install and manage the Z-Wave software yourself, most people use Z-Wave JS UI.

Once you have a server running, you can configure the integration to talk to the server, giving it a valid IP/hostname and port.

This diagram explains it. You can replace “add-on” with “container” or any other implementation.

That’s wild. I’ve run what feels like hundreds of searches trying to get this working and none of the results made this clear.
So I guess it worked automatically in the VM because HA thinks it’s running directly on its own machine so it can just go ahead and install the server, whereas in Docker it needs an additional container which it can’t create.

Thanks!