ZEN32 Scene Controller - Z-Wave JS

Just dropping by to say thanks for taking the time to map out this blueprint, great time saver. Thank you.

Hmmm. I got an OTA notice for 10.40.2 in HA a week or so ago, and updated, for the two ZEN32 (700) switches I have. Now, the blueprint doesn’t work. There are traces, but they all end in an X.

Executed: April 7, 2024 at 6:06:10 PM
Result:

result: false
entities: []

with StepConfig

'{{ trigger.event.data.device_id == device_id }}'

I updated to the latest blueprint (by using the “override” update feature in HA itself) and… now I don’t even get those traces.

FWIW, the main “relay” switch works fine and shows up in home assistant as normal

Any ideas?

Did you do a full re-interview of the device after the update? Mine wasn’t functioning properly at all until i did that and re-set some config values.

no issues here

Ah, yeah, a re-interview fixed it. Thanks!

the UI had a note on it saying that I needed to do a re-interview, but it was kinda small and it took me a while to notice. If that’s required after an updated like this, i wonder why it isn’t just part of the update workflow and has to be triggered manually.

1 Like

I just upgraded two ZEN32’s (700) to 10.40.2, and one works and the other doesn’t. Both are using the blueprint from the OP. Both are in the same room, one of the ZEN32’s relay is controlling a light in that room. The second ZEN32 controls scenes correctly, including the relay on the other ZEN32. The ZEN32 with the active relay seems to have zero scene control.

I re-interviewed both of them.
Logs from the ZEN32 with active relay when a scene is triggered:

2024-04-12T20:51:38.351Z CNTRLR « [Node 076] received CentralScene notification {
                                      "nodeId": 76,
                                      "ccId": "Central Scene",
                                      "ccCommand": "0x03",
                                      "payload": "0x1a8305"
                                  }
2024-04-12T20:51:44.235Z CNTRLR « [Node 076] received CentralScene notification {
                                      "nodeId": 76,
                                      "ccId": "Central Scene",
                                      "ccCommand": "0x03",
                                      "payload": "0x1b8005"
                                  }
2024-04-12T20:51:50.446Z CNTRLR   [Node 015] treating BasicCC::Set as a report

I don’t see anything else in the system logs pertaining to this device. The way it’s acting is that the blueprint automation is not even applying to this ZEN32.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Apparently the previous re-interviews I was doing were failing. I rebuilt the routes and re-interviewed the ZEN32 again, and it seems to be functioning properly now. Still odd that no errors were cropping up.

1 Like

@fxlt , could you add an option to the Blueprint to set the Automation Mode as described here

My thoughts are that I would like to run an automation in parallel if more that one button is pressed on the same ZEN32. Currently, when I go to control two devices controlled by the same ZEN32, I need two wait for the first trigger of the automation to complete before I can kick off the second device control.

@Papester That is one of the improvements I made when I made this blueprint:

Thanks Roy, I will check it out.

@rwalker, I took a look at your blueprint (version 2024.4.5) and I don’t see any “mode” option in the blueprint or the generated automation.

@Papester Line 865 and 866 set the mode to ‘parallel’ and max to 10. This will allow 10 parallel runs of the automation. Will caution you that if try and press all 5 buttons in rapid succession you may get inconsistent results if all the calls are Z-Wave and there are many devices in the action blocks.

Thanks @rwalker, I found the statements. For some reason they are on line 953 and 954 respectively in my version of your blueprint.

Is there a reason you did not include the option to set the button LED status/color for the Hold and Release functions?

You can only have the LED track 1 device… how would you propose that working?

First, thanks so much for this blueprint. I’ve got my Zen32 triggering lights at 5 different brightness levels. The relay button also acts as a toggle between off and 50% brightness–all working great.

What I am unable to do is control each LED to show which button (brightness) is selected. I’m wondering:

1. Maybe I don’t have the initial config right. I’ve got them all set for always ON.
  2. Maybe I need to create dummy or virtual entities (like lights that don’t really exist) for each button and put this in the optional track field.

Or, maybe I’m totally off and need more help that I thought. Any comments/guidance is appreciated.

So the way I currently use my ZEN32 Controllers is as follows.

This is an example.

Main button controls the local connected door light (on and off) LED color shows Green for Off and Red for On

Button 1 controls deck spot lights (press once for On and Hold and release for Off) LED color shows Green for Off and Red for On

I do the same for the other 3 buttons.

I found it easier to use the Press and Release function for turning devices off then using the multiple press function.

If the main button is controlling the relay, then don’t set that scene. Just set the track entity and colors. For button 1, set the single press to on and hold to off, then set the colors (don’t have to set the entity it will get it from the action).

I have set the buttons up with a toggle configuration. Press to toggle from on to off to on. I am not going use multiple presses - too confusing for people who dont know it.

Can you give some more details to how you are accomplishing that?

Are you able to get the LEDs working properly? Mine are always on.