ZEN32 Scene Controller - Z-Wave JS

@sycto Ok. I edited it. It would really be better if @fxlt moved my version to the top of the thread.

1 Like

Done. Thank you.

Question;

In my home all of my light switches are IP based but I do have several Z-Wave scene controllers and buttons (Zooz products including the Zen32 & Zen34) and Zigbee devices.

I just started “migrating” over to Home Assistant a few weeks ago after running Hubitat for the past year or so. Since my HA server is a VM running on an ESX server my strategy has been to keep Hubitat so I can leverage its radios for these Z-Wave & Zigbee devices using the Hubitat Integration for Home Assistant.

Like I said I am new & just getting up to speed with HA and haven’t delved into any blueprints yet as seems to be leveraged here and just today I realized my Zen32 devices are only showing in HA as a single entity.

Any chance the blueprint in the first post here will work for the Zen32 THROUGH the integration / connector? Just below is the only reference to buttons on the integration’s GitHub page.

So does he device & single integration for the Zen32 that is passing through the connector look to HA just as if it was directly connected to my HA server natively through a Z-Wave dongle (and this will work) or am I basically screwed? Same question for my Zen34 as its essentially the same.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Event-emitting devices

Some devices, such as pushable buttons, emit events rather than having state. Other devices such as locks both emit events and have state. Devices that only contain event emitters and have no stateful components won’t have any associated entities in Home Assistant.

Event emitting devices can be used as triggers in Home Assistant automations, or in Node Red. In Home Assistant, you can use event emitters as “Device” triggers. Whenever a the device emits an event, such as a button press, the automation will be triggered. In Node Red, a workflow can listen for hubitat_event events and filter them based on properties in payload.event.

First off thank you for creating this blueprint. this was one of the motivating factors for me picking the Zen32 over just a regular Zooz switch for my back deck lights to replace my burnt out GE switch.

Secondly, if anyone is having issues getting this to work make sure you have the latest firmware installed on your device. I was having issues because the “value” element wasn’t being generated (i.e. the KeyPressed3x) which was screwing up this blueprint. Updating to firmware 10.10 fixed it for me.

1 Like

@domenicdistefano I don’t believe this blueprint will work via the Hubitat integration as written. It may be as trivial as changing the event_type: zwave_js_value_notification to something like event_type: hubitat_event instead, but as I don’t use that integration myself, I’m not 100% sure and can’t test it.

this does not have an import to get into home assistant blueprints

You can use the URL of this thread to import the blueprint.

1 Like

Slightly off topic so apologies in advance, but how are you guys pairing this switch? I’m trying to associate it via ZWaveJS2MQTT and despite trying everything I can find including a factory reset, no dice. I’m beginning to wonder if I but a defective switch perhaps?

I didn’t have any issues pairing the switch. I started inclusion in ZWaveJS and tapped the large button 3x quickly. I don’t use security for my light switches, only locks and the relays for my garage doors. If your gateway supports S2, you can try pairing it by using the QR code. Also, are you sure the switch is within range of your gateway?

1 Like

I own 5 of them. Ive not had a single problem pairing any of them. I did have problems delivering OTA firmware to them inside Zwavejs2mqtt but thats a minor issue and was related to other things on my network at the time.

I’m thinking it’s just defective. I’m following the same process @fxit mentions - start inclusion then hit the main button three times. The blue light on that button starts flashing but inclusion just times out. I’ve tried moving the switch to be 10 feet from the hub (the switch is attached to a test harness and not in the wall yet) and I get the same behavior.

Are you watching the debug window while you do it? What does it say is happening? Also how far from the coordinator is it? Is it possible its trying to pair through a repeater thats having issues?

I do usually spot repair the closest other hardwired devices and restart Zwavejs2mqtt before trying to add new devices…

It’s about 10 feet from the coordinator which I think rules out needing to repair hardwired devices (of which I only have two and they’re both extenders) but I have not tried monitoring logs and will give that a go. Thanks.

1 Like

I had the buttons controlling some scripts when pressed and the big button controlling a script on a double push now all of a sudden they no longer trigger the script the Trace show it just bypassing everything

Circling back on this, looks like it was a defective unit. I got a replacement from Amazon today and it paired up without any fuss. These are amazing little switches with the number of physical buttons, the ability to control the color and brightness of the leds for each button, good stuff. I’ll be using this one as a test in my office with the main button for the light and two scene buttons to raise or lower my window shades. Now, what to do with the other two scene buttons??? :wink:

Thanks all for your help and suggestions!

Bummer that the switch was defective, but glad you were able to get a replacement.

I use mine on the patio. The large button controls various lights (string lights and flood lights) via scenes. The smaller buttons are for controlling the speakers connected to my whole house audio system (power, volume up/down, source).

That’s an interesting idea - volume control. Like I said I was thinking shades up and down, then maybe shades “home” position and the last being an exit button to disengage the magnetic locks on my office doors (yea, don’t ask :slight_smile: ) running these with zwavejs2mqtt really opens them up for just about anything.

I encountered something weird, hoping this helps others that have a similar issue,
the script was not working for me at all, when I investigated the event I found that the value the trigger was sending was numerical, instead of ‘KeyPressed’ etc. Essentially I got the value_raw value as my value also. when I replaced the ‘‘KeyPressed’’ with 0 and ‘‘KeyHeld’’ with 1 etc in the blueprint all was well…
my firmware is version 10, so I’m not sure what caused this weirdness, but yeah hope it helps someone else.

device_id: f8e6b5067a561844bf23f5ff784f406f
this:
  entity_id: automation.new_automation
  state: 'on'
  attributes:
    last_triggered: '2022-04-18T15:43:00.145491+00:00'
    mode: single
    current: 0
    id: '1650269110354'
    friendly_name: New Automation
  last_changed: '2022-04-18T08:19:38.762293+00:00'
  last_updated: '2022-04-18T15:43:00.171873+00:00'
  context:
    id: 960d7b9f864d839621b1d89fd6cba6c9
    parent_id: ad87a71c6299e6d53950ca334fabde89
    user_id: null
trigger:
  id: '0'
  idx: '0'
  platform: event
  event:
    event_type: zwave_js_value_notification
    data:
      domain: zwave_js
      node_id: 39
      home_id: 4234907287
      endpoint: 0
      device_id: f8e6b5067a561844bf23f5ff784f406f
      command_class: 91
      command_class_name: Central Scene
      label: Scene 001
      property: scene
      property_name: scene
      property_key: '001'
      property_key_name: '001'
      value: 1
      value_raw: 1
    origin: LOCAL
    time_fired: '2022-04-18T15:43:00.854198+00:00'
    context:
      id: e4a4cb150b752f69e8db492aae274899
      parent_id: null
      user_id: null
  description: event 'zwave_js_value_notification'
1 Like

Interesting. Still on the OG version (1.01) here. I wonder why they number their revisions the way they do. I see the latest version (10.20) adds the ability to disable the LED flashing during setting changes which would be nice to have. I wish they offered the firmware for download directly rather than requiring it be requested via support.

Generally, yes. But given my experience with Zooz support I’d be surprised if you have to wait longer than a few hours for a reply during business hours.
The firmware updates nicely through the ZwaveJS2MQTT web interface directly from within HA. No need to follow their guide which will have you use your Zwave USB Stick on a Windows Machine.

3 Likes