The Issue

I’m noticing this error message about Zeroconf in Home Assistant:

[IMAGE REMOVED because of “new user” restrictions]

Invalid config
The following integrations and platforms could not be set up:

zeroconf (Show logs)
default_config (Show logs)
Please check your config and logs.

I didn’t pay much attention to it until I found out that Google Cast won’t work without Zeroconf:

My Setup

I installed Home Assistant from the official TrueNAS app (not TrueCharts) and did check the Host Network checkbox:

1. I’m using a UniFi network with a network controller running UniFi OS and the Gateway Pro router.
  2. My NAS is on the same network as the Casting devices, but since it has four NICs and SMB Multichannel set up, only one of those NICs is gonna be on the subnet with my Cast’able devices.

I did make sure to put Home Assistant on the correct NIC though:

There is public IPv6 on my network, but for some reason, this TrueNAS install only has a link-local address.

Is there any reason mDNS might not be working? I can cast to other devices from my phone and PC no problem:

Obvious first question: What did the log said?

1 Like

Or a cleaned up configuration.yaml to see why default_config or zeroconf is complaining.

I just installed Home Assitant a few days ago. There’s not much in here:

$ cat configuration.yaml 
# Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)
default_config:
# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google_translate
recorder:
  purge_keep_days: 30
  commit_interval: 3
  db_url: postgresql://home-assistant:[REDACTED]@home-assistant-postgres:5432/home-assistant?sslmode=disable

The log wasn’t helpful:

The setup error says this:

OSError: [Errno 98] Address in use

Not sure how to fix or reset it. It’s been 3 days since I setup Home Assistant, so I’m not really sure what could’ve caused that.

Wild guess: TrueNAS also enables zeroconf, so the needed ports are no more available to HA.

1 Like

That’s interesting. The only open port in this container is 8123. So you might be right.

I’ve been considering installing the Home Assistant OS on a Raspberry Pi. Should I do that in general?

I like that TrueNAS makes it easy to upgrade apps, but if it’s gonna cause that many issues, it might be better just to use the native OS version itself.

Actually…

Google make miracles :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You were correct!

Sadly, their old forums are read-only now.

Would turning off mDNS for TrueNAS be an issue? What is that gaining me?

Multicast DNS. Uses the system Hostname to advertise enabled and running services. For example, this controls if the server appears under Network on MacOS clients.

So it’s just for Mac? Or does it do something else?

Either way, I turned it off for now to see what happens.

I’m fine moving this to a Raspberry Pi if that’s a better solution, I just don’t know how much RAM I should have. I have a 1GB, 4GB, and 8GB Pi 4 currently not in use.

Also, I don’t know how easy it would be to upgrade the OS on a Raspberry Pi versus TrueNAS. TrueNAS isn’t automated, but upgrading Docker images is super easy: click “upgrade all”.