ZHA and RaspBee from Dresden-Elektronik

I have bought a RaspBee Pi shield from Dresden-Elektronik, the device is visible in /dev as /dev/ttyAMA0 however I am getting an error and I can’t find any ZigBee devices.

Log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 310, in async_setup
    hass, self)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 94, in async_setup_entry
    await zha_gateway.async_initialize(config_entry)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 90, in async_initialize
    await self.application_controller.startup(auto_form=True)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/zigbee/application.py", line 42, in startup
    r = await self._api.version()
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/api.py", line 223, in version
    timeout=COMMAND_TIMEOUT
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py", line 423, in wait_for
    raise futures.TimeoutError()
concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError

Configuration:

zha:
    radio_type: deconz
    usb_path: /dev/ttyAMA0
    baudrate: 38400
    database_path: /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/zigbee.db
    enable_quirks: true

Hi Jack

I am having the same issue here, did you find your answer? This seems to be the key

Personally I am running HASSIO and don’t know how to get to the linux host to run the command.

Unfortunately not, modemanager wasn’t installed on my device and I’m getting this error on boot.

Error setting up entry /dev/ttyAMA0 for zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 310, in async_setup
hass, self)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 94, in async_setup_entry
await zha_gateway.async_initialize(config_entry)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 90, in async_initialize
await self.application_controller.startup(auto_form=True)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/zigbee/application.py", line 42, in startup
r = await self._api.version()
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/api.py", line 223, in version
timeout=COMMAND_TIMEOUT
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py", line 423, in wait_for
raise futures.TimeoutError()
concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError

In regards to HASSIO and the linux host. Hassio runs using HassOS is pretty much just sets up the docker enviroment, so it isn’t actually running in linux. https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/8szdwo/hassio_vs_hassbian/
It was for this reason that I switched to Hassbian, it’s a stripped version of raspian/linux with home assistant running in a virtual container. This is useful if you want access to the linux os as well.

1 Like

Hi Jack

I have abandoned ZHA in preference for the deconz integration. It is far more stable for my needs. Devices kept going unavailable with ZHA and don’t have that issue with deconz.