ZHA Conbee II Stick stopped working after Core Update

Hello,
today i did the latest 2023.10 core update. The update went trough without any problems, but now my Deconz Conbee II Zigbee stick completely stopped working and all my entities are offline…

I already tried to restore to the backup before the core update and a complete restore of the VM - nothing works.

I’m running HAOS in a proxmox VM

I hope someone can help me with it…

Here is the log:

Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
Source: config_entries.py:399
First occurred: 13:06:15 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 13:06:15

Error setting up entry ConBee II for zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/api.py", line 313, in _command
    return await fut
           ^^^^^^^^^
asyncio.exceptions.CancelledError

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 197, in startup
    await self.connect()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/zigbee/application.py", line 88, in connect
    self.version = await api.version()
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/api.py", line 465, in version
    (self._proto_ver,) = await self.read_parameter(
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/api.py", line 430, in read_parameter
    r = await self._command(Command.read_parameter, 1 + len(data), param, data)
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/api.py", line 312, in _command
    async with asyncio_timeout(COMMAND_TIMEOUT):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/asyncio/timeouts.py", line 111, in __aexit__
    raise TimeoutError from exc_val
TimeoutError

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 399, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 172, in async_setup_entry
    await zha_gateway.async_initialize()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 214, in async_initialize
    raise exc
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 201, in async_initialize
    await self.application_controller.startup(auto_form=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 201, in startup
    await self.shutdown()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 406, in shutdown
    await self._dblistener.shutdown()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/appdb.py", line 187, in shutdown
    await self._set_isolation_level(None)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/zigpy/appdb.py", line 205, in _set_isolation_level
    await self._db._execute(lambda: setattr(self._db, "isolation_level", level))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/aiosqlite/core.py", line 126, in _execute
    raise ValueError("Connection closed")
ValueError: Connection closed
1 Like

Sadly, I don’t have an answer, but just adding that I have very similar problems with a Conbee II stick. Upgraded today to 2023.10.0, initially appeared to go ok, but none of my Ikea zigbee buttons are working, nor tradfri lamps, or hue bulbs and presence sensors.
Afraid I’ve not got any logs at the mo as I’m trying to restore pre-upgrade backup.

Hello,

Have you tried unplugging the USB stick and plugging it back in? And Restart machine…

Restoring pre-upgrade backup solved the zigbee problems, but has left it in a state where no files are showing under /config. Can’t see the log or any of the yaml files.

I tried all of these steps of course. Even unplugging, downgrading, replugging… but nothing helps.

I even updated the firmware of the stick and restored a VM backup from one month ago… same still issues :frowning:

I just ordered a Sky Connect stick and hope it‘s better in compatibility - but as i have two slave instances running across the house and garden, both with conbee sticks, it‘s a pretty bad situation

I did exactly the same but I can access my config files without a problem.

I don’t think its the conbee stick that’s the problem, been using one for years with 40ish devices without problems, I’ve found it to be very reliable with a good range - until 10.0. Downgrading has temporarily got things back up and running for me.

Have you checked the USB path to the Conbee device hasn’t changed?

Yes, it didn‘t change

Hello,
I have same issue and configuration HAOS in proxmox VM.
Now running:

Home Assistant 2023.10.1
Supervisor 2023.10.0
Operating System 10.5
Frontend 20231005.0 - latest
deConz 6.22.0

after the latest update the Conbee 2 is not working anymore, proxmox is seeing the usb properly, assigned to the VM and in the config of deConz I can see it but nor deConz or Phoscon can connect to it connected.

I tried all the basics, reboot, unplug/plug, change usb, restart, change config, restart the app, nothing.

any idea?

1 Like

I noticed that deConz cannot connect to the Conbee2 anymore, I moved the stick to a W10 system, same issue. I tried zshark and can connect and works perfectly.

I did manual update of firmware on the W10 following the guideline here. unplug/plug it again into W10 and now deConz can connect to it.
I put it back in the machine with proxmox and it works.

Not sure what the update of HAOS trigger to have the Conbee2 partially freeze, maybe a side effect of the update?