šŸŽ® ZHA, deCONZ, Zigbee2MQTT - Ikea E1743 On/Off Switch & Dimmer Universal blueprint - all actions + double click events - control lights, media players and more with Hooks

Iā€™m kinda lost at the moment. I have little experience setting up advanced stuff in HA.
After 2 weeks of trying to setup an IKEA E1743 to HA I have finally given up.
I came to the conclusion that I have no idea what Iā€™m doing.
Most things that I have setup I have done by following YouTube tutorials, but blueprints are beyond my capabilities it seems.
I have read the documentation like 1000 times but iā€™m still not getting it.

My setup is running version core-2021.4.3 of HA, the installation type is Home Assistant Container (running on a pi4). My ZHA dongle is a Texas Instrument CC2531 USB. My Ikea E1743 is paired and visible as a device. Which step do i need to do to get this up and running? Sorry for my incompetence but Iā€™m really stuck.

Hi @dashdash, what do you want to control with this remote?
You need do ā€˜install/downloadā€™ the blueprints.
For sure you need: https://epmatt.github.io/awesome-ha-blueprints/docs/blueprints/controllers/ikea_e1743
On top of that you need a Hook Bleuprint for what you want to do.

You can load blueprints from the configuration - Bleuprints screen; there you have to provide the links for these bleuprints.
From there on, you have to create your automations.

@Nick4

Thanks for your reply, iā€™m trying to set the controller to turn on my Hue bulb.
So i downloaded the ikea_e1743.yml and the light.yaml from the hook page for lights.
i made an automation of both templates but to no avail. iā€™m like 100% sure that im looking over some minor detail, maybe the configuration of the automations are totally wrong.

Can you post your automations?

Controller Automation

Light hook Automation

these are the only options i have changed, the rest are as is.

=======
6-12-2021

i cant post new replies so i have to edit this one:

I added a helper called ā€œhelper_last_controller_eventā€ choose text as input.
Left everything default, now there is a input_text.helper_last_controller_event entity.
Selected the helper in my "Controller "Automation. Still no difference.

i manually trigged my automation (dont ask me why) and looked at the trace log and found this:

ā€œerrorā€: ā€œUndefinedError: ā€˜dict objectā€™ has no attribute ā€˜eventā€™ā€,

I have no idea if this is the reason.

@Nick4

Still no luck, are there prerequisites that I might be missing?

Almost there: you still have to provide " Helper - Last Controller Event", itā€™s required.
Check the additional notes of the button bleuprint.
In the configuration menu of HA there is a ā€˜Helpersā€™ section.
More info on: Controllers-Hooks Ecosystem | Awesome HA Blueprints

Trying to get this to work. Using Deconz and only single up and down button for now.
So Input Text Integration should not be required, correct?

Still I get the error:

Stopped because an error was encountered at 13 July 2021, 11:19:19 (runtime: 0.03 seconds)
not a valid value for dictionary value @ data[ā€˜entity_idā€™]

My automation looks like this:

alias: Light switch slaapkamer
description: ''
use_blueprint:
  path: EPMatt/ikea_e1743.yaml
  input:
    integration: deCONZ
    controller_device: 88fcb3807dd64eb735aa5b688d6da946
    action_button_up_short:
      - service: light.turn_on
        target:
          entity_id: light.slaapkamer_plafond
    action_button_down_short:
      - service: light.turn_off
        target:
          entity_id: light.slaapkamer_plafond

Hi @spudje, have you provided the ā€œHelper - Last Controller Eventā€?

1 Like

Thanks, now I have and it works. The documentation is NOT clear about this, hence so many people struggling:

Input Text Integration (ZHA, Zigbee2MQTT, Double press action Required)

Iā€™m not using ZHA nor Zigbee2MQTT, nor double press actions. Still I need to create this helperā€¦
Just make this ā€œRequiredā€

2 Likes

Youā€™re welcome!

I have also struggled with that not having understood that this helper is needed.
Afterwards, when knowing, it is more clear.

@epmatt has done a great job in creating these bleuprints and the effort documenting it so extensively.
The best you can do is to make a suggestion on how to improve it.

I just started myself with these remotes and in my case zigbee/deCONZ, so no idea if you missed some prerequisites.
You might change that helper to a string without spaces - just a wild guess.
Maybe create a new topic for your issue?

What is going on with your account? Something seems offā€¦

As a new user you apparently have restrictions they have been lifted now.
I think that iā€™m gonna give up, return the E1743ā€™s to Ikea and buy some SONOFF SNZB-01ā€™s.
Iā€™m sure that they are a lot less hassle.

With the E1743ā€™s my setup does not react to any input. Short presses, long presses nothing works.
Strangely at random times (i didnt press any botton), like at 3 am the controller automation is triggered by a ZHA event, but the automation still doesnā€™t do anything.

Really glad that is works for others but iā€™m giving up.

Itā€™s a pity that you cannot get it to work but I understand your frustration completely.

Have you searched here in the community for a thread with similar setup/problems/issues?
You could also create a new topic with a good/clear title to attract help or try discord, that might get more attention then hereā€¦

Just an ideaā€¦

Hi @U.R.A.M.Q.T.T, thank you for your feedback.

Iā€™ve created a new issue in the projectā€™s GitHub repository to track the development of a blueprint for this controller:

Iā€™ll let you know as soon as support for the IKEA E1766 is available. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Hi @dashdash @Nick4 @spudje,
sorry for the long delay in my response.

Thanks, now I have and it works. The documentation is NOT clear about this, hence so many people struggling:

Input Text Integration (ZHA, Zigbee2MQTT, Double press action Required)

Iā€™m not using ZHA nor Zigbee2MQTT, nor double press actions. Still I need to create this helperā€¦
Just make this ā€œRequiredā€

@spudje thank you for pointing out this issue. This note in the documentation was probably left from one of the previous versions of the blueprint, back when the text helper was not required. Iā€™ll take care of updating the docs asap. Thank you.

@dashdash I think something might be missing in your blueprint configuration, since in my little experience support for the E1743 is quite good. Just write to me if you want to try to set up this blueprint again, and Iā€™ll do my best to help you and answer your questions. :wink:

Moreover, if you have suggestions on how to improve any part of the Awesome HA Blueprints project just let me know. Iā€™m always happy to receive feedback, with the goal of making the project a better place to share amazing blueprints. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi! Iā€™m trying to use your Blueprint(s) for my E1743 IKEA remote. This is the first time Iā€™m trying out blueprints so its probably an easy question to answer. At first Iā€™m simply trying to get a remote to to turn a light on and off, and also dim / brighten it. For this it seems to make sense that i would not only need this controller, but also the Light hook blueprint, so I added both. However this is where I get a bit confused. Iā€™ve created an automation from the controller blueprint, where all Iā€™ve chosen is the integration being deCONZ, and the Controller Device being the remote. I left the actions empty, as i suppose this is what the Light hook then takes care of (?). I can see that the controller automation that i just created is then triggered when i press the buttons on the remote ā€¦ So far so goodā€¦ I then went ahead and created a new automation from the Light hook blueprint, where i simply select the same Controller Device as i chose in the controller automation and then the light. But this automation is never fired and nothing happens when i press the remote

What am I missing?

Hi @Da9L, have you created the input_text helper?

No I thought that was only required if I wanted ot use double press ?

Just added the helper and included it in the controller automation configā€¦ Works now! Thanks for the hint!

2 Likes