ZHA - IKEA five button remote for lights

2022.08.01 has the following Problem:

WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant. helpers.template] Template variable warning: 'dict object' has no attribute 'param1' when rendering '{{ trigger.event.data.params.param1 }}'

Do you have any suggestions?

No idea. Let me do some tests here. I am not using it anymore as I am waiting for a new ZigBee coordinator because of battery issues

Fixed. Just delete the blueprint and import it back again the warning should be gone.

Hi, first of all thanks for the blueprint.

I noticed that the buttons for changing the brightness aren’t working anymore. This is the log entry for the remote device:

IKEA Remote Step With On Off event was fired with parameters: {'step_mode': 0, 'step_size': 43, 'transition_time': 5}

The remote automation looks like this:

alias: Remote Lounge
description: ""
use_blueprint:
  path: frenck/zha-ikea-five-button-remote-for-lights.yaml
  input:
    remote: abcdef
    button_left_short:
      - service: script.lounge_scene_toggle
        data: {}
    button_right_short:
      - service: script.lounge_scene_toggle
        data: {}
    light:
      device_id:
        - ghijk
        - lmnop

Any idea where to look for more information? HA Core Log shows nothing.

@engeles20 @Tykwondo1 @nstrelow @SAGV @Indianb0y016
Did any of you ever fix the left & right button not working on ikea 5 button remote (not firing any ZHA_Event). I enabled OTA udates and have now run into the same issue.
I think I should be able to force a firmware downgrade if I can find the previous firmware file - but wondered if there is a better way.

1 Like

hi, thanks for putting my mind at rest a little. i recently got a ikea 5 button remote and found that the left / right buttons do not work, no event showing at all for the left / right buttons. i thought maybe my remote was faulty but reading your post i guess it is a known issue for this remote that i hope will be addressed in an update soon. :slight_smile:

Since posting I found a bug filed for this issue on the zha device handlers github ([BUG] Issues with TRADFRI remote control and latest firmware 24.4.5 · Issue #2139 · zigpy/zha-device-handlers · GitHub) and was fixed and merged into the dev branch of zigpy 3 days ago (TRADFRI remote control - add fw support v24.4.5 by stickpin · Pull Request #2156 · zigpy/zha-device-handlers · GitHub). SO I guess we just need to be a little patient til it ends up in production and gets rolled out to ZHA.

1 Like

got notification of a HA core update this morning and got all excited but its not fixed the ikea remote yet, will just have to be a bit more patient. and on another topic i just had to re-do all my tuya devices / automations after my tuya service expired, i got it extended for 6 months now but had to re-vamp all the automations etc. now im looking to change all my tuya switches, bulbs and sensors to zigbee, or sonoff or anything thats NOT tuya before i have the same problem again in 6 months time lol.

@murtoz @alerton123

do you have a folder in your config named custom_zha_quirks?

if not add this to your config

zha:
custom_quirks_path: /config/custom_zha_quirks/

and create a new folder named custom_zha_quirks — create a sub folder inside named ikea and add this in filename fivebtnremotezha.py

https://pastebin.com/raw/mfmkkZNw

restart

Hi @engeles20, thanks for your suggestion. I have just tried this but it hasn’t made a difference. Just to be sure I completely removed the remote from zha and then re-added it (after having applied your changes) but situation remains the same, remote works fine except for left and right buttons which simply do not get detected.

When i go to developer tools → events and listen to zha_event. I can see all the various button presses, but when i press left and right arrows it sees nothing.

The only place I can see that the remote is still sending something when pressing these buttons is to go to integrations → zha → add device, then click show logs top right. Then when I press left button, it capturs this zigbee packet but doesnt know how to decode it:

Received a packet: ZigbeePacket(src=AddrModeAddress(addr_mode=<AddrMode.NWK: 2>, address=0x226E), src_ep=1, dst=AddrModeAddress(addr_mode=<AddrMode.NWK: 2>, address=0x0000), dst_ep=1, source_route=None, extended_timeout=False, tsn=0, profile_id=260, cluster_id=5, data=Serialized[b'\x05|\x11"\x07\x01\x01\r\x00'], tx_options=<TransmitOptions.NONE: 0>, radius=28, non_member_radius=0, lqi=108, rssi=None)
[0x226E:1:0x0005] Received ZCL frame: b'\x05|\x11"\x07\x01\x01\r\x00'
[0x226E:1:0x0005] Decoded ZCL frame header: ZCLHeader(frame_control=FrameControl(frame_type=<FrameType.CLUSTER_COMMAND: 1>, is_manufacturer_specific=True, direction=<Direction.Server_to_Client: 0>, disable_default_response=0, reserved=0, *is_cluster=True, *is_general=False, *is_reply=False), manufacturer=4476, tsn=34, command_id=7, *direction=<Direction.Server_to_Client: 0>, *is_reply=False)
[0x226E:1:0x0005] Unknown cluster command 7 b'\x01\x01\r\x00'
[0x226E:1:0x0005] Received command 0x07 (TSN 34): b'\x01\x01\r\x00'
[0x226E:1:0x0005] No explicit handler for cluster command 0x07: b'\x01\x01\r\x00'

Almost identical to the right press except one byte is different:

[0x226E:1:0x0005] Received command 0x07 (TSN 35): b'\x00\x01\r\x00'

I’ve had a quick look at your custom quirks file but cannot figure out how to add this in. Any help would be welcome!

@engeles20, @alerton123 So after my attempt this morning that didnt work, I saw this new post in another thread: IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged - #430 by FloatingBoater

Pretty much the same approach of using custom quirks, but apparently with a newer file ( from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/stickpin/zha-device-handlers/fbc724d8ac96471210efa8bfc2431b5f029f9094/zhaquirks/ikea/fivebtnremote.py)

I removed the remote from zha, removed the quirks file that engeles20 linked, added the new quirks file, restarted, re-added the remote and now all buttons work. Looks like these changes will be included in the next release 2023.3 and you should remove the custom quirks file once that drops.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. i dont want to start trying to add quirks and remove them again later so i shall just wait for the next HA update.

BUT whilst visiting a relatives today i knew that they had a 5 button ikea remote that was ‘retired’ a long time ago so i hunted it down to their junk drawer and ‘acquired it’. new battery and added it to my HA, it still has an old firmware (0x12223573) and it works fine. although i have to say that for the sake of £12 each i also ordered and set up a couple of the newer 4 button remotes from ikea and they work fine.

Hi,
i have set up the automation and the on/off butten works fine.
Are there any further steps i have to take, to make the dimming work?
Thanks for the help!

i set it up using a blueprint (Blueprint to use ZHA - IKEA five button remote for lights v2)

that gives you the option to assign actions to the buttons including dimming options, BUT if your remote has the latest firmware its not working properly with home assistant, apparently its meant to be fixed in the next release (i hope).

well, HA 2023.3.0 core update arrived / installed and now the remote with the latest ikea firmware works fine . Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

Hi all

Since the last update i have a problem with this blueprint.

Sometimes with works and sometimes not and give me this error on the logs :

Logger: homeassistant.components.automation
Source: components/automation/config.py:207
Integration: Automation (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 08:40:58 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 08:40:58

Blueprint 'ZHA - IKEA TRADFRI - 5 Button Remote - Custom Actions' generated invalid automation with inputs OrderedDict([('remote', '6a71d4d7654e924c19a8026d6122c6b1'), ('power_short', [OrderedDict([('type', 'toggle'), ('device_id', 'f76e2bce5d44f9a4553e008caf5dfd21'), ('entity_id', 'light.luz_teto_light'), ('domain', 'light')])]), ('power_long', [OrderedDict([('type', 'toggle'), ('device_id', 'c78ee59cc0cb8e9503425645d459b97f'), ('entity_id', 'light.luz_light'), ('domain', 'light')])]), ('dimup_short', [OrderedDict([('device_id', ''), ('domain', ''), ('entity_id', '')])]), ('dimup_long', [OrderedDict([('type', 'toggle'), ('device_id', '9d34047dd1aa81d9d7853d01ed55ffbf'), ('entity_id', 'light.lampada'), ('domain', 'light')])])]): Integration '' not found

Can you give me any hints about this, i´ve already searched a lot of things and i cant find any solution.

Im on 2023.3.6 and tried to control my Model Version E1524 (like in the picture) and dimming does not work at all with this blueprint.
Toggling on/off via middle button works though and assigning e.g. service calls to the left/right buttons also works. It looks like it does not recognize the long press / release events…
I also looked up if my buttons might be broken but the events are getting recognized, but not from the blueprint.

Firmware: 0x23014631
Quirk: zhaquirks.ikea.fivebtnremote.IkeaTradfriRemote2

if it helps someone.

grafik

EDIT:
forked version 2 seem to work though.

If you update the remote to Firmware: 0x24040005 it will work with the latest blueprint v2 version.

Im on that firmware you mentioned but its not working for me.

Dimming does not work at all. Toggle On/Off is working. It does not recognize the long press at all, sometimes it does but sudddenly stops.

I think if i recall what i did you need to update the quirks file too. Listed above in the thread. TBH as much as I am a massive geek I find this Zigbee stuff to be a pain in the bum in HA. Once something breaks you end up wasting hours trolling through threads that have conflicting info. There needs to be a source of truth in this forum somewhere with up-to-date information for the less technical and those who don’t have time to spend in here looking for answers that inevitably end up being incorrect due to being out of date.