ZHA with Hive via Zigbee SLR1b

Hi all,
I have a spare SLR1b and SLT3b and would like to ditch my current Hive cloud reliance and move everything to my own HA installation since I find hive problematic, non-flexible and they’ve now blocked my home static IP address (via AWS WAF).
I followed the various guides to pair first the boiler controller SLR1b to my Home Assistant Zigbee Home Automation instance, then paired the SLT3b to it and all looks good. Green light and changing temperature is seen in ZHA and the boiler control turns the relay on and off.

However, leave it for 5-10 minutes and go to the thermostat and click anything, it lights up and shows “No signal”. At the same time the boiler controller shows a solid red light.
They seem to stay like this for a while then randomly will start working again and connect back up (sometimes takes a few attempts), when reconnected the boiler controller goes green again.

I also don’t seem to be able to control them remotely using the states.

If I change target it won’t do anything. You’ll also see current temperature shows 0oC so it’s not receiving the information correctly either.

Has anyone got any tips on what I can look into to diagnose this further, see why it’s dropping and clearly there is a miscommunication between ZHA and the units?

• Core2023.11.1
  • Supervisor2023.10.1
  • Operating System11.1
  • Frontend20231030.1

Thank you!

This is still happening so i’ve made a few notes:

The hive thermostat seems to keep signal, if I press a button on it, it wakes up shows correct target and current temperature.
The boiler control goes red light solid and switches off the relay. In HA it shows the “Last Seen” when that happened so it appears to be the boiler controller not communicating with Zigbee.

If I change target on the hive thermostat, it seems to wake things back up (not repeatedly though, and changing settings in ZHA don’t seem to wake it back up, despite the temperature changes actually being reflected on the hive thermostat itself), boiler controller goes green switches relay on and ZHA last seen updates and shows correct target.

So, my thinking is, there is a ‘checkin’ event failing somewhere and the boiler controller stops talking to the zigbee gateway ZHA on my HA instance.
How would I go about diagnosing/solving this?

Sadly this is constantly happening.
Today so far I’ve heard/seen it drop from relay on to red only light (it turns relay off) about 10 times, so this isn’t usable for me :frowning:

If anyone has any ideas please let me know!
I’ve tried the temperature change, changing settings automatically in HA and nothing seems to keep it connected long enough to be reliable.

I recently got a Hive heating+water (SLR2d and SLT3d) with a new heating installation and decided not to bother with the hub at all. Pairing with ZHA worked fine, but getting the thermostat and receiver to see each other initially was tricky. I suspect this is related to the intermittency issue that you’ve had.

I came here to say that I had the same issue - state history for the heating would show ok for 10 minutes, off for 5, ok for 10, off for 5. I’ve also discovered the solution.

The issue seems to be that the receiver expects to hear from the thermostat at least once every 10 minutes, but ZHA as coordinator appears to set the reporting interval to 15 minutes. You can work around this by installing zha_toolkit from HACS and issuing the following one-off command from “Developer Tools->Services”:

service: zha_toolkit.execute
data:
  ieee: sensor.hive_thermostat_temperature
  command: conf_report
  endpoint: 9
  cluster: 0x402
  attribute: 0
  min_interval: 5
  max_interval: 120
  reportable_change: 50
  tries: 100
  event_done: zha_done

This will set the reporting interval to 2 minutes or any time the temperature changes by more than half a degree.

I’ve also done some work on reverse engineering the manufacturer specific cluster that the thermostat uses, which seems to be mainly related to holiday mode. My intention is to put together a ZHA quirk to get this working properly, as there are other problems particularly with hot water support, due to the need to write multiple attributes over and above the normal thermostat mode setting.

1 Like

That’s great work Mike and thank you for posting it back so others can see how you solved it. I just ran out of time to get it working and a happy family so I ended up completely going for my own solution so I now use my own Zigbee relays to control the heating itself and my own HA solution for temperature control, timings, etc.