Zibgee USB stick with ZHA support

I’m currently using Pi3+ and Elelabs ZigBee Raspberry Pi Shield with ZHA.

Plan is to move to NUC, because I’m facing lot of problems with Zigbee shield and Pi. For unknown reason after few days something happens to zigbee database and all devices goes to offline. I have to reboot whole Pi, but not all battery powered devices won’t come online even after reboot. And if they come online, they won’t stay long. They have to be removed from zigbee.db and paired again. Constantly powered devices (bulps and plugs) are usually working fine after reboot.

Connected devices:

• IKEA of Sweden TRADFRI bulb E27 W opal 1000lm
  • IKEA of Sweden FLOALT panel WS 30x30
  • Phillips White HUE bulb
  • Osram plug x3
  • Xiaomi Temperature sensor x5
  • Xiaomi Smoke detector x3
  • Xiaomi Door sensor x3
  • Xiaomi water leak sensor

Is the problem Xiaomi devices, zigbee shield or ZHA itself?

I really like ZHA and want to stick with it. The main question is what THE best USB stick to use with ZHA currently?

Thanks in advance!

I am using this https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-CECOMINOD016164-HUSBZB-1-USB-Hub/dp/B01GJ826F8 and I know others are as well. The benefit is you get zwave support with it.

Not sure why you are having the problems you are having as I haven’t used the Pi shield and haven’t used a Pi for ZHA at all.

I can’t say what’s the best, but this newbie got the HUSBZB-1 working on a R Pi 3+B without much trouble. That’s got to count for something.

It’s been almost a week now and so far no issues with disconnects. I recall reading somewhere about issues reconnecting when the batteries on sensors get low, but I’m nowhere near that point yet.

I’m also using the HUSBZB-1 on a RPi 3 B+ with pretty good results, it has been pretty stable and minimal issues. I am building a new system and want to split Z-Wave and Zigbee so I have been trying the Conbee USB with native ZHA for Zigbee but the compatibility list is very small right now so I have not really tested it.

Hello @Hepokatti, did you persevere with the Elelabs Shield? I am having trouble getting mine to work at all so wondering if it is worth it?

Update: It’s been almost a year now and the HUSBZB-1 has been 100% reliable. It’s the one thing I never have to think about - it just works. All the sensors are always there and communicating correctly. I’ve replaced sensor batteries about five times. I did one today. By the time I got back to my laptop it had already re-connected and was showing 100% charge.