Zigbee Bed occupancy sensor

All good bro

My bill is just help someone else in here

4 Likes

Now the next trick put some automation in place so that something happens when get in or out of bed lol

1 Like

Which Iā€™ve done lol. Get into bed and in bed for more than 10 seconds, all the lights turn off. Get out of bed for more than 3 seconds and a night light comes on. All set without time frame parameters.

3 Likes

Great project!
My tip would be to use:

device_class: occupancy

That way it detects if the bed is occupied (on) or not.

1 Like

Hi, i was looking at using load sensor and using aqara seems to be good alternative since the battery for the sensor can last for quite a while (I still havenā€™t changed mine that I got 2 years ago)
Just curious, how exactly does this work?
Assuming my mattress weight is already around 30kg (70 lbs), would this affect the close status for the sensor?

Cool & Awesome!

I remember reading that the activation weight was 16kg-25kg. on the ones Iā€™ve ordered (not received to test yet).

If your whole mattress weighs 30kg only part of that will be on the pressure mat so youā€™ll probably be ok if your mat has a similar specification.

I see, guess Iā€™ll have to try it out
Also, does this need to be connected to power source?
If the 2 cables are already connected to the door sensor, what about the other 2 cables?

No, only two sensor cable connections required. No power. See further up in the topic on how to work out which two.

No idea what the other two are for. Mine only has two cables.

Also to work out how much weight will be on your sensor:

mattress weight * mat_area / mattress_area

For the 16-25 kg required for my mat this would mean my mattress would have to weigh 120 to 190kg to activate it. Which means I should be ok too. Iā€™ve lifted it before, thereā€™s no way it weighs that much.

Thanks! Iā€™m grabbing from this link, should be similar to @sender picked up with 4 cables

https://my.element14.com/multicomp-pro/pm3-pk/pressure-mat-large-720x560mm/dp/1146764

Nice calculation, i thought that was for obtaining weight if you connect the 2 cables to esp(if possible) :sweat_smile:

The datasheet on the webpage you linked to shows what the other two wires are for:

Theyā€™re for a tamper loop (the normally closed switch). This will only open if someone cuts the wires, not by force on the mat.

2 Likes

Hi, so i just received this, soldered the wires to aqara sensor and it works well for sofas and couches but not really for my bed

I tried it on my queen size & single bed, i donā€™t think the mattress is the memory foam type, just regular ones.
Placed them below the mattress and Iā€™m not getting any response.
Putting it under the bedsheets also didnā€™t really do any better (probably because my weight distributed when laying down)

For those with working setup, how do you position the pressure mat?

I think you need to eat more :grinning:

2 Likes

I weigh around 70kg/154 lbs šŸ„²
Also, the smaller mat works better for you compared to the larger mate based on your previous post?

Hi All, have a spare one of these if someone wants to make me an offer (UK/European shipping). Thanks.

Thanks for the idea :+1: it is very simple to makeā€¦ at least if the pressure pad I used was accurate.

I am struggling to get it work with this pressure pad Past 5 weeks :

Got two of these, first tried it under the mattress but it did not trigger, that is fair because we have a thick mattress with memory foam surface. Then I tried it above the mattress under the sheet, this works but not reliable enough, sometimes it keeps triggering if you go out the bed, you have to strike it couple times and than it will un-trigger, and sometimes it will trigger like crazy on and off all the time if someone is in the bed, I did fix constant on/off triggers with node-red using a trigger node, which only passes the signal through to off when it was not triggered more than 4 minutes.

But than again I was done striking the pad ever time when I got out of the bed to un-trigger it, sometimes it did not work and had to strike the pad flat againā€¦

Couple days ago I checked under the bed and saw I a possibility to use a microswitch to make it work, it has been reliable for last couple days, I made a 3D printed holder for the microswitch and placed between the frame of the bed and the slatted bed base, our bed base has small slats and those move almost 2cm up and down and that is enough to trigger the microswitch. I made sure that the slats wonā€™t brake the microswitch and rest on the 3D print instead of the microswitch.

I know it wonā€™t work for every bed, but I am sharing this to people looking for another solution than the pressure pads, it is possible to make another holder which can make this work for different bed types, micro switch also gives opportunity to make it switch how ever you want since it has a NO and NC connections, so there is no need for a script to reverse the signals.

This is how the micro switch holder looks like:
bed_sensor_01

bed_sensor_02

And this is where I put the assembly, somewhere in the middle and it still triggers fine, the black tape between slats will be replaced with a 3D printed plate:
bed_sensor_03

Here a video how it works, I am pushing the mattress with my hand:

5 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for all your ideas. I followed the tutorial In-Bed Presence Detector (SmartThings + Z-wave Pressure Mat) : 5 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables but used fibaro fgk-101 window/door sensor because Iā€™m in Europe and worked like a charm.

Thank you.

For those of you using the mat trick OP posted:

1. If your mat canā€™t detect your presence (memory foam mattress chief guilty party here), fold the mat one third or two thirds of the way, and try different accommodations (usually horizontal right where your shoulders should be).
  2. To invert the logic, chain the sensor output in Node-RED to a node-red-contrib-debounce node, then invert the logic using a switch (ā€œonā€ means ā€œoffā€ and vice versa), and pipe that into an HA sensor entity created directly in Node-RED.
3 Likes

Do you have the STL for this design please? I have the same IKEA bed slats so think this would be perfect for my needs.

Processing: bed_sensor_switch_mount.STLā€¦
Processing: bed_sensor_trigger_plate.STLā€¦

I am not sure if this upload works through here, but here it goes.

1 Like