Zigbee CC2652P USB dongle not working in HA Zigbee Home Automation Integration, but working in Zigbee2MQTT

Hello everybody,

My Home Assistant OS runs on a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB), as follows:
Home Assistant 2022.11.5 / Supervisor 2022.11.2 / Operating System 9.3 / Frontend 20221108.0 - latest

I just received this USB Zigbee dongle from the friendly people in China :smiley: :

Zigbee Dongle CC2652P

It installs just fine when I go through Add Integration → Zigbee Home Automation → Serial Device Path, then I am selecting first port below:
*/dev/ttyACM0 - USB Single Serial, s/n: 54A7005273 *
/dev/ttyAMA0 - ttyAMA0, s/n: n/a
Enter Manually

Then choosing Erase everything and form a new network
Finally it shows up like this:

Diagnostics data mentions the firmware: Texas Instruments CC1352/CC2652, Z-Stack 3.30+ (build 20220219)
The file downloaded via ZHA → Download diagnostics is here: { "home_assistant": { "installation_type": "Home Assistant OS", "ve - Pastebin.com

I can add my Zigbee devices - added a wall switch and a PIR.

Now - no events are fired!
My automations based on the Zigbee devices never run.
Also, no Zigbee-related events ever show up here (tried to listen to zha_event, then to * ):

I deleted the configuration a couple times and re-added the dongle, no luck.
Tried to select the /dev/ttyAMA0 instead, HA can’t communicate with the dongle.
I also used the manual config with the really long /dev/…by name that I’ve got by executing ha hardware info, dongle gets added just fine but the events do not trigger.

As an alternate test setup - this is just temporary as I would like of course to use HA with ZHA instead:

• I’ve installed Zigbee2MQTT on my Windows laptop
  • linked it to my HA MQTT
  • connected the dongle to the laptop
  • in seconds, my light switch showed up in HA MQTT with the button pushes triggering correctly

I’m at a loss here, anything I could try? Thanks!

some devices are supported, some aren’t (yet).

I understand.
However:

• The feedback on product page mentions about it working out of the box in HA
  • Isn’t a CC2652P just a CC2652P in all implementations? I see there’s also indication that similar looking (not identical, though) products are working just fine with ZHA: Zigbee 3.0 coordinator CC2652P E72

I tried a couple other things to make the adapter work with Zigbee Home Automation:

• moved across Pi’s USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 ports
  • used an extension USB cable as I understand the dongles are sensitive to RF noise
    Still no luck.

In the end I went with installing Zigbee2MQTT as an add-on in Home Assistant. After failing to start with Error while starting zigbee-herdsman I just added the port in the serial section of the config
     port: /dev/ttyACM0
and all is good now.

No idea what this refers to.

If it has the same firmware, yes. But the variable is the software. Zha and z2m do not support an identical list of zigbee devices.

I thought we were talking about 1 device not working, not the co-ordinator. Either I am confused, or we both are.

I think that your problem is that you configured zha and zigbee2mqtt on the same adapter and than you try to run it all on single adapter. It wont work that way.
If you are running zigbee2mqtt than you don’t need any integration for your zigbee stick. Just plug it, check if it is there in devices list and that is it.
If you want to run ZHA then you have to install integration. Your adapter maybe isn’t compatible with ZHA. Remove ZHA integration and run in in zigbee2mqtt.

As my thread title says - the coordinator is not working in ZHA. All Zigbee devices get associated correctly but do not trigger events.

I installed the ZHA integration first, and the dongle did not work.
I deleted the ZHA and installed Zigbee2MQTT as a service on a separate test machine, and this approach worked.

1 Like

I deleted the ZHA and installed Zigbee2MQTT as a service on a separate test machine , and this approach worked.

I don’t used ZHA but as I saw not all adapters that works with z2m will work with ZHA. And from what you say this is probably issue.

No, you only mentioned that you get no events from the switch. I see nothing about the pir not working, and I would’nt expect events from a pir.

Anyway, z2m is great, stick with it.

1 Like