Zigbee conversion of Air Wick Freshmatic Autospray

I have a number of Airwick Freshmatic Autosprayers in my house. For those that do not know what these are, they are automatic air freshener dispensers which spray at a pre-set time interval.

I wanted to integrate with Home Assistant with the following requirements:

• To remove the built in time schedule and instead use smart triggers to prolong the life of the canister
  • Visually, the external appearance of the unit should remain unchanged
  • The unit should remain battery powered
  • The unit should integrate using Zigbee (as I felt using wifi would conflict with the previous requirement of using battery power)

To complete this build you’ll need the following bill of materials:

And tools:

• Drill with small drill bit
  • Soldering Iron
  • Knife
  • Hot Glue Gun

Steps:

1. Pair the Fingerbot to your Zigbee network (this can be done later however is advisable to do up front)

2. Disassemble the Fingerbot device and remove the circuit board
    Screenshot 2023-12-18 113910

3. Remove the yellow wire and copper contact pad from the JST plug as this will be unused

4. Extend each of the wires from the Fingerbot circuit board

5. Disassemble the Airwick unit. This needs to be drilled via 3 points from the top of the unit to slide apart

6. Remove the circuit board from the Airwick unit and cut the traces from the motor contacts and to the battery terminals to isolate them

7. Solder the Fingerbot wires to the Airwick circuit board (Please note motor positive is on the left…despite me using a red wire to extend the motor negative). If you get this polarity in reverse, you’ll find the unit doesn’t spray as it is applying the torque in the wrong direction

1. Use hot glue to secure the Fingerbot circuit board to the side of the Airwick internals and stop the wires from moving around

1. Slide the Airwick internals back into the main unit. You can choose to secure it with a dab of glue but I found when it is assembled with the can, that nothing moves around. As a result I preferred to keep it unglued for future disassembly as needed
  2. Create an adapter of sorts to bridge the gap between the CR2 battery (extracted from your Fingerbot) and the battery terminals. I used a small piece of tube with a copper wire wrapped around it
  3. In the Zigbee configuration, change the Fingerbot settings to the following

Controlling the unit:
A single flick of the switch (on/off) will cause the trigger of the Airwick arm to engage/disengage. As a result if you want to trigger the unit, you need to send 2 commands, one to spray and a further one to disengage. Otherwise you’ll find it only sprays every other time

Area for further investigation:
I have purchased some 3.3v relays and have found that the Fingerbot device is also able to trigger these. As a result, the Fingerbot may be a very versatile device which can be modded to activate multiple products, even where they have alternative power sources.

2 Likes

Dude, this is very interesting! Exactly what I was looking for.

Question: Does this mean that you run the Freshmatic motor with 3V (considering it was running with 1.5V of the AA Battery)?

Hello!

What do you mean by “cut the traces from the motor contacts and to the battery terminals to isolate them”. Do you mean that we should flip the Airwick circuit board and scratch away the circuit board traces between the battery terminals and the motor?

Do you possibly have a picture of how it should look like?

Also, step 10 would be interesting to have a picture of the battery adapter. :pray:

I would really appreciate it if you could make a video because I’m not very skilled at crafts, but I would love to recreate the project. :sweat_smile: :hammer_and_wrench:

Big Clive to the rescue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OC4U6FiJus

That should be enough to cover the disassembly part and get you familiar with the unit. It’s not exactly what you wanted, but it’s a start.

If being battery powered isn’t a requirement for you, you could just use a so called ‘battery eliminator’ (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004135695495.html), a (2A) phone charger and a $5 smart plug. No soldering or alterations required.

Didnt know this battery eliminator existed. Nice share! I simply cut a USB printer cable and joined the open wires to the positive and negative battery terminals to achieve the same result. Then plugged the USB into a SONOFF plug with a USB 5v adapter and configured the SONOFF to turn on/off after 5 seconds using automations. This gives it enough time to spray. The automations after this is endless. Here is a screenshot of 1 of my cards for the Kitchen spray