Zigbee devices suddenly unavailable

Hello folks, newbie first post, please excuse if this doesn’t look pretty.

A few days ago, my Conbee II stick became unavailable to HA latest build. Everything had been working well for a few months. The problem did not occur with any changes to the system that I’m aware of. Was working in the morning, not when I returned home from work.HA Error

I’ve spent a couple of days trying to figure it out, reading many posts and watching YT videos. I’m running HA in an Oracle Virtual Box on a Win10 laptop. The pertinent error log entry:
Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
Source: config_entries.py:370
First occurred: 3:46:53 PM (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 3:46:59 PM

Config entry 'ConBee II - /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2489324-if00, s/n: DE2489324 - dresden elektronik ingenieurtechnik GmbH - 1CF1:0030' for zha integration not ready yet: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2489324-if00: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2489324-if00'; Retrying in background

I’ve tried restoring a previous backup, but the problem persists.
I tried removing the integration, but when I try to install, the USB stick path cannot be found, despite showing up in the virtual box. The Conbee stick works fine in deCONZ and Phoscon leading me to believe there is a configuration error somewhere in the HA core.
I’ve read many posts similar to this including this one:

My problem with that solution is that I don’t really know how to perform step 2, which is find the usb paths by typing in ls -laR /dev/serial My terminal window does not recognize that command.

Any help to an old electrician with minimal coding skills would be appreciated. I would rather not start over from scratch if possible, but I really miss all of my zigbee devices and thier automations.
Thanks

You mention it works in deconz. Be aware that neither deconz add-on, nor the deconz integration should be installed in HA. Only ZHA. This can be misunderstood in the documentation, and ZHA will in many instances work. However if deconz open the port before ZHA and staysb active, then ZHA will fail.
Not sure this is you problem, however something to check

Thanks for your thoughts. I reached out to Conbee support, and they told me to use the deconz add-on. I did try, but got an API error when going that route, so I stopped. I’m curious, why do you suggest not using the deconz integration?
I would prefer to use the ZHA, but I seem to be spinning my wheels trying to get it configured again. It worked flawlessly for months.
My latest roadblock is I’m currently unable to get Samba share working. I’ve watched many videos, read many articles, tried many tweaks, but no luck so far. I want to look at the config file in HA and see where its trying to find the usb ports.
Yesterday I received 8 new Zigbee devices that I would love to integrate into HA.
Perhaps a fresh install of everything is in order, but I really feel that there is a very minor config error causing this. I really enjoy the power and flexibility of HA, but it certainly consumes a bunch of my time.

If you are going to use ZHA, then all deconz should be removed, both the add-on and the integration. Im not sure a deinstall is enough, maybe you also have to delete some deconz files, however have never tried.

If you make a fresh install it should work. Remember again, no deconz, just the ZHA integration. You will have to re-pair any devices.

Remember to put the conbee on a long USB extender cable to avoid any interference and secure all wifi devices are kept away form the conbee.

Thanks again for your thoughts. For the record, I’ve always used a USB extension cable, and never installed the deConz integration in HA. I did use their software to make sure the Conbee stick was not the problem.

I created another virtual machine, installed a clean HA, installed the ZHA integration and it worked. Dismayed by the dozens of hours I would have to spend recreating my system, I tried again with my original HA instance.

I removed the ZHA integration (again), removed the USB port from Virtual Box (again), rebooted everything , but this time I installed the USB on a different port in the VM, and HA recognized it! I had to re-pair all of my Zigbee devices and tweak automations, but it all works. After everything was working, I shut it down, moved the Conbee to the original port and all is well.

I don’t know what caused the original snafu, and I’m not 100% sure why its working now, but I consider this to be closed.
Thanks again

I agree with what I read above : you should NOT have ZHA and Deconz installed at the same time.
Pick one (ZHA, Deconz or Zigbee2MQTT) and uninstall the others otherwise you might have conflicts (I made that mistake myself for a long time)

In the configuration of the Deconz add-on (if you end up choosing that one), you should have this :