Zigbee Doorchime - anyone?

Both more or less similar ideas that are worth digging into during the holidays, thanks!

@Xelanc, is it a jack to Bluetooth cable one can buy, or is it more like the cable @nickrout referenced too?

@xelanc was proposing a lead from the rpiā€™s audio out port to a convertor that takes an analogue audio in and outputs bluetooth audio so that a bluetooth speaker will play it.

My suggestion is an esp8266 that will receive an mqtt message on wifi and generate an analogue audio signal that will play on an audio system (where audio system ranges between a speaker at one end to your prize stereo at the other end.)

Zigbee chimes are not common, but once you have home assistant it doesnā€™t matter. A trigger on zigbee can result in an action on wifi, or zwave, or a text message, or your lights flashing or whatever. Just because you have a zigbee switch for a doorbell does not constrain how you get alerted to that doorbell.

Check, I indeed read your suggestion the other way around, plugged in the RPi.
Itā€™s too bad that Bluetooth seems to be a tough nut to crack. The RPiā€™s have it on board for a while, but a BT-speaker is not yet natively supported in HA.

Iā€™m not so into microchips, but maybe I should get into it :+1:

Something like this should be plug and play I guess? There are more of these if you search for ā€˜bluetooth transmitterā€™.

it still matters.
i ended up here because im also looking for a zigbee chime.
why do i want zigbee?

i got a max from 255 IP addresses and that is the ultimate max, most ikely my router will die before that.
and im already on over 150 devices.
i want the chime in at least 7 areas, so that would means 7 more IPs gone.
i could use 433 mhz with my active broadlinks, but activating the broadlink is relative slow.

i already use messages to alexa and tablets, but that also is relative slow, plus that i need to stop what is going on on those devices, set sound level high, then play the sound, set sound level back and start backup what it was doing.
that all is a drag.

with zigbee i can have hundreds of devices and sensors without trouble, and i got a strong network everywhere. i got the button, just still no good way to alert us when someone is at the door.

i know they are hard to find, but as you see it does matter for some of us.

1 Like

Back to the concept of a simple ZigBee chime, has anyone tried this?

It appears like it is only available from Control4, which means that it may be pricey. I have a request in for more information. The specs are confusing (temperature? batteries? external contacts?)

Sounds interesting. Looking at the specs, I think itā€™s also about the button at the door.

Anyway, I havenā€™t found a shop that sells them yet and am curious about the price, the answers to your questions and compatibility with HA.

i saw a price from 210 dollar somewhere.

Hello Guys, Iā€™m looking for the same. Just a simple doorbell or chime, with the possibility to trigger different sounds from HA. Preferablly Zigbee/but Wifi will do it as well as long as itā€™s not a complex thing. Did anybody found something?

im still searching.
tried a smoke alarm that supposed to have several levels og loudness, but as a doorchime it was useless.

Get a noise making device, eg a buzzer.

Connect it to a zigbee chip, eg a cc2530.

Install ptvo firmware.

Hello hostrup,

I have the Conbee II in combination with a lot of Xiaomi sensors (like the door/window sensor). works great! well if you want to trigger a normal non smart device, like a normal doorbell, even that is possible, you could use a xiaomi t1 for a normal door ring for instanceā€¦

yeah, i understand thats possible, but i would prefer non DIY.

1 Like

@ReneTode: I know the problem, and itā€™s a suprisingly tedious journey. I have Wifi, a Conbee Stick and a RFXtrx433XL 433MHZ transceiver. I thought it should be easy to find a simple door chime which would connect to one of the many protocols I can support. I didnā€™t find anything. The most promising was one of the cheap doorbells which are listed in the RFXtrx documentation, but even if the model name matched, the protocol had changed.
I ended using a Google Nest Mini and casting a mp3.

i use 13 alexas, and send a txt to it
and 7 tablets and send an mp3
and a few old 433 mhz chimes that i send a code to with broadlink.
but its all slow. direct zigbee should be faster.

I could not find a compatible chime, so ended up putting a Wemos D1 into one of my spare 433 MHz chime and flashed Tasmota. As I see now, it is much more reliable with MQTT commands rather than with a RF protocol.

Interesting. May I ask what kind of latency (rougly) you are aiming for, and what you are seeing at the moment? Because I plan to grow my installation and want to avoid running into a similar situation.

This kind of chime I modified. It is taking power directly from mains, so power requirement is not an issue. Regarding latencyā€¦ Strange question. Yes, 433MHz protocols may take some time to encode then decode but MQTT is fast. Clearly, that idea is workable if your doorbell is able send MQTT commands. For example my (video) doorbell is such that when it starts to make ringing sound on pushing ring button, the MQTT driven chime already rang. I donā€™t think latency is of any issue, never thought about it. Not ringing (joke) can be a problem for a chime that relies on Home Assistant and Node Red. Buit it is not if properly designed. My doorbell mod I described on github,, but modding a chime is not (yet).

The question about latency was for @ReneTode , but your posts are very good, thanks for the suggestions.

i dont mind a second delay, but at the moment with the amount of locations and ways i want to warn, i can say that the paket delivery already is gone way before my last device ā€˜announcesā€™ that there is someone at the door.

it helps that i got a motion sensor that announces a person long before they can trigger the doorbell.

1 Like