Zigbee Doorchime - anyone?

@sp00025 : I don’t know Rene’s setting, but what I have seen often is collision and a lot of retransmission which makes collisions even worse with these simple wireless protocols. Obviously Wifi (which you probably use with the Wemos) doesn’t have that problem (at this small scale).

the only simple protocol is the broadlink sending 1 signal.
alexa goes over wifi and my tablets over LAN or wifi.

so its not collision.
but for alexa it goes to the amazon server (which off course delays)
tablets over wifi are not the fastest
and broadlink also isnt the fastest.
add that to the automations, the incoming signal from zigbee > mqtt > Appdaemon
so a lot of delay points adding up.

thats why i like a zigbee to zigbee solution.

@rheinlaender : Yes you are right. Mostly due to low power requirements the protocol should keep high level of redundancy. I am sorry that my post here is off-topic.

1 Like

Sorry Rene, I was offtopic too, and not meant as a comment to your setup (which, as I said, I don’t know).

no problem.
im a moselaner, so i understand :wink:

i just wanted to clarify for others that are also searching.

1 Like

So guys, after not able to find anything reasonable priced and suitable to my needs I decided to go the DIY way. I have purchased a 60 Tone sirene (e-bay) and a 4Ch Zigbee relay ( aliexpress). The relay board perfectlly fitted into the sirene housing.

I’m able to preset the 3 channels of the sirene, 1 and 2 anything from the fire sirene - to burglar - to chime, and channel 3 is only a continous 970Hz tone, but I can use it pretty well for different warning by turning it on/off.

Total cost, about 40 euro. I will power it thru passive 24v PoE so that I can power it from the IT rack from my basement, which will receive soon a UPS.

It would be great to be able to select from HA all the different sounds, but I’m happy with the current solution.

Can you point to the websites to buy those devices

So, the Zigbee relay was this one, and the siren was purchased from a private seller, link is not availble anymore, but a similar item with less tones can be found here. And as new item here.

1 Like

Thanks very much :slight_smile:

More questions :slight_smile:

How does this zigbee module present? Is it z2m compatible? What firmware is it running?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it is, was reconizes from 1st try. Everything works well.

Not sure where to read the firmware, here is a screenshot from Z2M.

Just to complete the discussion TuYa TS0004 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT

i bought this, https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09288V4SZ/?coliid=I3296KYNDSBAXL&colid=3RDG7XV9GXC0J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

and connected it to

im going to look for another chime though, because i cant fit the zigbee part inside, and its not loud enough to my wish.

but it works.
i still keep looking for a ready made solution though.

Looks like the same (or very similar) zigbee device.

its just a switch without a casing. but mine has only 1 relay, and that makes it smaller.
it also has a 433 mhz reciever that you can connect to a 433 mhz remote (which did come with it)
i dont think i will ever use that (maybe it is usefull for some garagedoor situations)

i did connect it to an usb adapter, and the chime is on battery.
the result is that the relay turns off immediately after it turns on (most likely because the input power is to weak) but thats in my case very helpfull.

There are lots of complaints that the chime is too quiet.

mine? :rofl: i even needed to stick some foam into the horn, because 120db was a little bit too much.
Exacttly that’s the second reason I went for an industrial solution, because most of the simple chimes available on amazon are just to weak.

Rene’s.

it is way too quiet

This is guaranteed to be the best solution if you don’t want to be disturbed by visitors

Unfortunately, too quiet.

Absolute scrap, too quiet. I can’t imagine that this gong reaches the 82 dB. Not suitable as a doorbell.

i know. but because i need several on different places i took the risk anyway.
for others it might be useless, but i got rooms where its good enough.

and reviews like that are hard to trust, because its very subjective.

but in this case its indeed not loud. it isnt usefull for people who want in in the hallway, and then want to hear it in the livingroom with the door closed.

Would it not just be possible to get a zigbee relay, and connect it to your existing doorbell button wiring such that when triggered it would act as a second doorbell button that when pressed rang your existing doorbell.