ZigBee failing since last updates

Hi,

Can i ask for some help please?

Since I did the last core update last week to 2024.4.3 and I think at the same time the Zigbee update to 1.36.1, I have been experiencing serious problems with my ZigBee devices.

Most of the problems are from automations that use a ZigBee sensor to detect motion of a ZigBee device to turn on a light. Either they don’t turn on, or the sensor stays on detecting. I had one Ikea smart plug chatter really badly that I had to disconnect.

All my Zwave devices & automations are working very well and response is normal and quick.

To try and fix the problem I put the Zigbee into join mode and query the device. I am getting very large red errors that simply don’t make sense but seems to indicate a major problem with that device. Yet if I repeat the process a few time it fixes the problem.

So not sure what was changed at the last updates but is there a known problem and if not any way of rolling back as this is driving me to the point of throwing HA into the nearest large body of water …

Any help is appreciated , thank you

Regards

Andy

Have you looked at the Z2M logs?
What kind of coordinator are you using and how is it connected?
What kind of motion sensors?
Is your MQTT broker showing traffic (using something like MQTT Explorer to view)?

There’s a LOT of variables to figure out. :slight_smile: If you can post up your Z2M log, that would be a good start.

Thank you . When you say Z2M logs what do you mean ?

I can see logs for Zigbee - Connection state / bridge log level /bridge permit join / bridge restart and bridge version.

I’m assuming Connection state ?

Zigbee sensors and smart plugs vary , I have Smartthings, Develco,

How do I find MQTT broker traffic – what is MQTT explorer , where do I find that

Sorry fairly new to Zigbee

Regards Andy

Just used log book to view any logs for connection state and it says no events recorded. I did change the date & times to when the problems occurred.

Also found how to switch on debug mode in MQTT so I am hoping that will provide more log info. I will do that tomorrow night after work to see if I can capture anything.

What I cant understand is it was all working fine before the recent updates… Whats changed?

1 Like

In your Z2M (Zigbee2MQTT) interface (which should maybe be a menu item in the HA sidebar or through the addons page), there’s a tab for logs. I think you can also get them from the addon page (I don’t run HAOS, so I’m a little daft when it comes to addons). But, from the Z2M interface, you go to Logs:

Once you are there, switch to showing error only:

Then, copy and paste those (provided you have any there).

Ok, so nothing jumping out as “problematic” per se (although I’d definitely suggest replacing the Smartthings ones with better replacements sooner rather than later (they kinda suck when not paired with a Smartthings hub… ask me how I know lol)).

MQTT Explorer is an app: http://mqtt-explorer.com/ You download it on your computer (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc) and then point it to your MQTT broker and you can see all the messages flowing in. Really helpful for diagnosing issues.

Thanks, had a look in Zigbee logs - Nothing to display

Agree the SmartThings devices seem to work fine with the ST hub , but for some weird reason they are no where near as stable via direct Zigbee connection.
Any recommendations for replacements ?

Will try to have a play with the MQTT Explorer tomorrow after work.

Thanks for the help

Hi, update.
It was nothing to do with any updates or the type of devices … it was a much simpler fix.

I had set my Google Backups to run at 22:00 and it was around that time two night running the problems occurred. Moving the time of the backup fixed the problem.

Obviously the hub could cope …

Well at least my sanity is restored … Thanks you to all that helped.

Regards Andy

1 Like

That’s a loaded question really. In my mesh, I removed EVERYTHING Smartthings… plugs, motion, contacts, literally everything. My preferred brand (as of today at least lol) is Aqara. Their devices are small and work really well in my mesh. But, they are quite finicky in regards to what routing devices they want to connect with. Smartthings plugs are just horrible routers themselves and do not play nicely with Aqara kit. I’ve also seen a lot of people getting good results with Sonoff kit and also newer Ikea devices as well. Ikea has been doing a good job of closely following the Zigbee 3.0 spec, so their newer devices are actually fairly solid now.

Oooof, yeah, that would probably do it. I tend not to do any major backups until between 02:00-04:00 if I can avoid it. Glad you got it worked out!

1 Like

Thank you … all working now !

1 Like

thanks for sharing the updates.