Zigbee has very laggy input. (Video)

Hardware: Raspberry 3b, CC2531 controller flashed with 20201127 (Texas Instruments), Ikea Symfonisk volume controller, Trafaldi bulb (no hub).
Software: Hassio (latest), zigbee2mqtt, originally used ZHA with the same results.

Note: I know zigbee2mqtt is depreciated but im using it to see if the input lag is any better… Its the same.)

Basically, there seems to be some bottlenecking happening when alot of commands are sent from the Ikea device. You can see from the video, its fine at the start. but the more commands that get sent the Ikea unit the slower it gets.

Zigbee controller lag

I have a very simple flow working and the delay in changing brightness to the light can get to over 10 seconds.

In my investigation into this, its not the flow in Node-red, its the data coming from the controller to HA… when I was looking at the inputs using zha_event with ZHA the delay and laggy qualities were exactly the same.

I mean, sure I could write some sort of function to mitigate this issue, but I would much rather have a better quality stream of inputs from the device before I do this…

Is anyone else having this issue, or is there a solution to this issue?

Since when is Z2M deprecated?

The problem isn’t the coordinator or even HA; It’s the Ikea devices themselves as they suck when it comes to quality and can easily become flooded with messages. From what you are describing, that’s exactly what is happening here. Most hardware based coordinators (Hue bridge, Ikea gateway, etc) implement workarounds (usually message queuing/throttling) to mitigate message flooding. Most software based coordinators (ZHA, Z2M, deCONZ, etc) do not do this (and honestly, that’s the way it should be).

For anyone else coming across this post. I was the Raspberry Pi hardware, It just wasn’t fast enough to process the flood of messages. I have a Pi3b, so hopefully it was just the USB bus not fast enough. I would be interested in seeing if it works on a Pi4

I ran HA on a decent Intel i5 computer running a virtual environment and it works perfectly with the volume controller, no lag or loss of messages. No lag at all!

I plugged the usb controller in a USB 3 slot (haven’t tried any other).

1 Like