Zigbee Laser/Infrared (Line crossed) Sensors?

Okay, we have Motion sensors, we have Contact sensors, but has anyone found Laser sensors?

You know like the ones in movies - The sensor fires a single constant beam, if the beam is cut off, that would set the sensor to motion detected.

2 Likes

Usually Infra Red is used for this. Laser is just for movies, where they use hairspray to make that laser beam visible, before they break into the bank.

True, but I also have needs where a beam sensor would be a much better fit.

Maybe one day I’ll cobble together an esphome or door sensor hack. Keep hoping something shows up to buy off the shelf.

Laser is just for movies, where they use hairspray to make that laser beam visible, before they break into the bank.

That’s exactly what I meant hahah

So we’re looking for Infra Red products then. I have so many use cases for it which would fit 10x better than a plain motion sensor. Can’t believe this hasn’t been made yet.

I’m not sure how it’s supposed to work technically, be it a beam sensor or an infra red one, basically what I’m looking for is a “LINE crossed sensor”.

• It would be perfect for an open balcony (to detect if someone hops the fence)
  • It could be placed inside the house to trigger room presence detection at a height, so pets don’t trigger it, only humans, etc.
2 Likes

I found an easy solution for a Laser beam sensor.

I purchased the following:

-Seco-Larm E-931-S35RRQ Enforcer Indoor/Outdoor Wall Mounted Photoelectric Beam Sensor with 35 Foot Range

-Zigbee WiFi Mini Smart Switch Relay Module

I wired the Beam Sensor NO wires to the switch input of the Zigbee Module. When the beam is broken, a closed (ON) signal is sent to HA. Works perfectly! I have the beam sensor mounted outside across the entrance to my property, used 22/4 wire to extend the power out to the beam sensor, 2 wires provide power out to the beam sensor and the other 2 return the signal back to the Zigbee module. I have the Zigbee module inside and mounted in a plastic utility box with an attached power plug.

2 Likes

Quite hacky, but that’s literally all that Home Assistant is about.