Zigbee motion sensor 809WZT (Tuya) does not pair

tl;dr: device wouldn’t pair, but trying to pair for another hour or so while holding it right next to the coordinator and then manually clicking to “reconfigure” it in ZHA eventually got the device working.

Hi all,

My first post here after using HA for about a year now. I wanted to ask if anyone has had any success or issues with Zigbee motion sensors that require a Tuya gateway.

I recently purchased a motion sensor called 809WZT on AliExpress and did not pay attention to the line " Note: (Need to work with tuya zigbee gateway)". I got it with another Onenuo motion sensor (a square-shared one), which paired flawlessly, but HA just does not detect this one. I am using Sonoff ZBDongle-E as my gateway with ZHA integration.

Picture of the device in question:

AliExpress listing: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005099780623.html

So far, all my Zigbee devices just worked out-of-the-box. Is there some group of Tuya Zigbee devices that only work with their specific gateway?

Thanks in advance.

At least with Zigbee2MQTT (Z2M) this motion sensor is already supported. Maybe just not with ZHA yet?

Anyway, since you are using a Coordinator (Sonoff ZBDongle-E) no “Tuya gateway” or any other branded Zigbee Gateway is needed.

1 Like

I’ve used cosmetically identical tuya sensors in both zha and z2m.

I find it very odd they won’t pair at all. I’ve never seen a device that wouldn’t at least pair with zha, even if after pairing it was useless because there were no recognized endpoints.

What zigbee channel?

1 Like

Thank you for your responses.

I managed to get it to pair eventually by putting it in pairing mode 20-30 times or so right next to the coordinator and then pressing “reconfigure” in ZHA. The first few times it reached the “configuring” stage, never finished, was added as a device but didn’t display any entities or was stuck displaying that motion is detected.

I don’t know why it finally worked, because I literally just did the same thing over and over again. This is the only device where it wasn’t just an instantaneous pairing, so I don’t think it’s my environment. Maybe it’s some issue with loose wiring inside or the antenna not being properly attached.

One thing I noticed is that this sensor is recognized as the same device as the square sensor I got along with it. The square one paired flawlessly, so perhaps it’s an issue with this specific unit.

Must be 15, because I never changed it. I have 5 other devices that work all right, so I don’t think it’s congestion affecting this speciifc device.