Zigbee repeater in home assistant

Hi,
I’m using Zigbee CC2531 USB Dongle with my Rpi4 to get zigbee devices. It lasted for some time but now I’m starting to have devices that are outside of it’s range. I was thinking of extending it using this thing:

Could anyone explain how it actually works? Will it work just as an extension of my existing zigbee network?
I’m using zigbee2mqtt in my HA network. Will it work without any issues?
Those extenders are small and around 10$ so relatively cheap so I would probably use max 2 to cover all of my home. I need to extend the range by about 2meters. Will this be enough?

You can also use mains powered zigbee devices to extend your zigbee mesh, e.g. a light bulb or a smart plug, which you can than use for other things as well instead of just extending the mesh.

1 Like

This. Devices on mains, like sockets, bulbs are routing devices that will extend your mesh.

Hm I dont have any :< My all network consists of motion sensors and door sensors. Also some water leak, light, and humidity and temp sensors. and the place I would like to have it already has a spare usb socket to connect this small repeater. That’s why the question :slight_smile:

1 Like

I extended my zigbee network using a few Ikea TRÅDFRI Signal repeater in my house.

I first paired the individual Tradfri repeaters to my Nortek HUSBZB-1 using a paperclip to hold down the pairing button on the repeater and then Clicking “Add Devices via This Device” on the Zigbee Coordinator (Nortek HUSBZB-1) in the Zigbee integration screen.

After the Tradfri was paired successfully it shows up as device in the Zigbee Integration and then you can Add subsequent Zigbee devices with the closest Tradfri instead of the Zigbee Coordinator stick.

They extend the zigbee network so it works further away from the coordinator. It also has a usb port which you can use for charging a device if you wish. With a few of the Tradfri’s I am able to keep zigbee devices that previously would become “unavailable”. I have more than 30 zigbee devices all throughout my house and they have been working without issue for months.

I also would suggest a usb extension cable to get the coordinator usb stick further away from the raspberry pi. That seems to help as well.

That’s not possible as far as I know, ZigBee devices decide for themselves which route they take and they also are not static but can randomly change the route from time to time, especially the Xiaomi ones are rather picky about the route to take. It’s just more likely that they take the route through the repeater (or any other mains powered device that acts as a router) when it’s closer to the device than the coordinator, but it’s not guaranteed.

1 Like

Should work, it will just be a new device available for your battery powered devices to route through, however as stated in my post above, it’s not guaranteed that the devices will take the route through this device.

But they will, if there’s no other way (unless they are Xiaomi, which - in violation of Zigbee specs - stick to the device they used to enter the network initially).

Not necessarily, I had some devices that just wouldn’t route the traffic through an IKEA repeater. I even cut power to all other devices, and the sensor was around 1 meter from the IKEA repeater and more than 10 meters with thick walls in between from the coordinator but it just didn’t pair.

Uhh all of those are xiaomi :smiley: But then after adding this repeater I could just re-pair them right? They then should connect to the best signal source? Cause those devices are sometimes connecting now to my PI but it’s random and signal strengh is usually 0%

Normally yes, but Xiaomi devices are special xD No matter how hard I tried, some of them would just not route their traffic through some mains powered devices.

They should re-evaluate and adjust routing again any again.

Just installed a new Zigbee network at my parent‘s property (11.000m2) and - so far - about 40 devices (mains and battery)

I paired every device next to the coordinator (Raspee II), then installed it at it’s final location. It took up to 2 days after install time for the network to stabilize, but now it is running all smooth.

Looking at the current network map, only 2 devices are currently directly communicating with the coordinator, the rest has found and alternative path.

1 Like

Well the ones I need to get too are door sensors.

Hi,
That’s a good one actually. I did not know that they work like that. I was thinking about them like a wifi device. Connect and that’s it not finding best route.

You may be correct about the Zigbee protocol picking it’s own route. However you definitely can add a zigbee device from the Zigbee ZHA integration by clicking on a repeater that was previously added and clicking the “Add Devices via this Device” button.

1 Like

I second that. I have some Xiaomi devices I can’t get to change route, no matter how many times I try to re-pair them.

Without exception, if I have range issues, I just throw one of these INNR Outlets into a vacant wall outlet near the sensor and the mesh is extended: https://amzn.to/3iGMUFK

1 Like

Hi

I realise this is an old thread but thought it better to post here than start a new one.

I am currently using smartlife app with wifi light switches and blind motors. I have had some issues with routines not processing when I was on holiday so am looking to get started with home assistant to keep things local.

I’m at the planning stage and trying to decide between tuya local or changing my devices for zigbee. I would need some zigbee repeaters and have seen the recommendations for Ikea products. However I would rather use something that I know will never be switched off so am thinking about zigbee wall sockets.

Has anyone any experience with any sockets acting as repeaters, any issues working with home assistant?

I am in the UK.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum :wave:t3:

You should definitely go for Zigbee. Especially if you are after:

Make sure the Zigbee devices are supported by ZHA or Z2M before you buy and you should be good to go.

Wow, fast response. Thanks for the info