Zigbee setup with HA - newbee!

Hi all. I am new to all this and I am struggling A LOT.

I have a raspberry-pi 4b with a 125gb ssd with HA installed, and a conbee3 stick connected to it. I have tried using deconz and also zigbee2mqtt (always uninstalling the other when trying one), and I still haven’t managed to connect any zigbee devices. I initially thought it was a problem with the devices I had, since I’ve read that Aqara has lots of issues with zigbee… but I am now trying BSEED switches and I’m running into the same issue: I can’t pair!

Could someone please help me out?

I tried:

• Aqara wireless smart mini switch
  • Aqara door/window sensor
  • BSEED 3 gang 1 way wall switch

I can get the two first ones to flash their light, but I can’t see them on HA. The third one, I can’t even get to flash constantly red… it flashes twice and LEDs go off and then back up… Unsure if I just buy shit sensors, or whether there’s a problem with the conbee stick… how can I know it’s working properly?

Thanks

UPDATE! I fixed this issue following the link in the comments, there was interference caused by the SDD being connected to the USB3.0 which was affecting my conbee III stick connected to USB2.0

All sorted and working. Thanks all for the advice :slight_smile:

If you’re using the Z2M integration you need to have MQTT - you don’t mention that…

1 Like

Which one are you using now? (ignore previous config)

Is the stick connected directly to the Pi or do you have an extension cord.

What does the log say?

Start by following all the tips here regardless of Zigbee Gateway used as both EMF interference and lack of Zigbee Router devices can prevent you from pairing/joining any device → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimizing using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get best possible range and coverage

3 Likes

Let’s start from the basics. Are you clicking Permit Join in Z2MQTT when starting the pairing process?

Sorry. When following zigbee2mqtt (which I’ve read is better than deconz), I have deconz add-on uninstalled, have the zigbee2mqtt add-on installed, I have this linked to ‘mosquitto broker’, and in the ‘devices’ page I have the mqtt integration…

Everything runs, logs show they are running… but I can’t pair.

The config on zigbee2mqtt:
data_path: /config/zigbee2mqtt
socat:
enabled: false
master: pty,raw,echo=0,link=/tmp/ttyZ2M,mode=777
slave: tcp-listen:8485,keepalive,nodelay,reuseaddr,keepidle=1,keepintvl=1,keepcnt=5
options: “-d -d”
log: false
mqtt:
broker: core-mosquitto
base_topic: zigbee2mqtt
server: mqtt://MY_HA_IP_ADDRESS:1883
user: username
password: password
channel: 25
serial:
port: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ConBee_III_DE03189184-if00-port0
permit_join: true
frontend: true
zigbee_herdsman_debug: false

the config on my mosquitto broker:
logins:
require_certificate: false
certfile: fullchain.pem
keyfile: privkey.pem
customize:
active: false
folder: mosquitto
logins:
- username: username
password: password

and the mqtt integration in the devices page is also configured to this same username and password, and I have tested sending and receiving info from within the config page.

The stick is connected to the pi via the nespi box.

The zigbee2mqtt log says the following… not very useful I don’t think…

Zigbee2MQTT:info 2024-03-29 14:27:01: MQTT publish: topic ‘zigbee2mqtt/bridge/state’, payload ‘online’
Zigbee2MQTT:info 2024-03-29 14:27:01: Zigbee2MQTT started!
Zigbee2MQTT:info 2024-03-29 14:28:46: Zigbee: allowing new devices to join.
Zigbee2MQTT:info 2024-03-29 14:28:48: MQTT publish: topic ‘zigbee2mqtt/bridge/response/permit_join’, payload ‘{“data”:{“time”:254,“value”:true},“status”:“ok”,“transaction”:“ofo6r-1”}’
Zigbee2MQTT:info 2024-03-29 14:28:48: MQTT publish: topic ‘zigbee2mqtt/bridge/response/permit_join’, payload ‘{“data”:{“time”:254,“value”:true},“status”:“ok”,“transaction”:“ofo6r-2”}’

Yes, so I click on ‘Permit Join (All)’ and it starts a 4-5 minute counter.

The log says the following. while this is happening I have tried long press of the sensor’s button, but also pressing it once per second as recommended in other pages.

Zigbee2MQTT:info 2024-03-29 14:27:01: MQTT publish: topic ‘zigbee2mqtt/bridge/state’, payload ‘online’
Zigbee2MQTT:info 2024-03-29 14:27:01: Zigbee2MQTT started!
Zigbee2MQTT:info 2024-03-29 14:28:48: MQTT publish: topic ‘zigbee2mqtt/bridge/response/permit_join’, payload ‘{“data”:{“time”:254,“value”:true},“status”:“ok”,“transaction”:“ofo6r-1”}’
Zigbee2MQTT:info 2024-03-29 14:28:48: MQTT publish: topic ‘zigbee2mqtt/bridge/response/permit_join’, payload ‘{“data”:{“time”:254,“value”:true},“status”:“ok”,“transaction”:“ofo6r-2”}’

Is the stick connected directly to your Pi or are you using an extension cable?

1 Like

Get at least a half meter extension cable,
Connect to a USB 2 port and / or connect the stick to a USB2 hub. To isolate the stick from the Pi’s 2-3ghz interference. Good practice for ZWave sticks too but absolutely CRITICAL for Zigbee. Yes it can cause a perfectly good stick to not allow a join.

2 Likes