Zigbee Smart Plug with Power Monitoring (Australia) in ZHA

I am looking for a zigbee smart plug with power monitoring and was wondering if anyone can confirm one that fits this criteria:

• AUSTRALIAN plug
• ZHA Integration in HA
• Power Monitoring exposure in HA
• Can handle a TV plugged into it

I know about blakadder, but would prefer to hear from someone who has actually used one and can confirm the ZHA and power monitoring exposure aspects.

If nothing suits I’ll go for a wifi device but I was keen to add to my existing zigbee network.

I’ve found some devices but unsure if any actually fit all the requirements:

Aeotec Zigbee Smart Plug - read that it doesn’t expose the power usage
Philips Hue Smart Plug - I dont know if this would handle a TV and unsure about it exposing the power usage
Telstra Smart Power Plug - unsure if ZHA compatible and does it expose power usage
Oz Zigbee Smart Plug - cant find much info on this

Ah yes, I had forgotten about those as the price is a tad steep.
Also haven’t seen anyone confirm they work with ZHA.

More likely to get a response in that thread. I don’t have any zigbee plugs personally.

FYI, most devices work out-of-the-box however few require a “quirk” (parser/converter/translator), see:

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#knowing-which-devices-are-supported

and

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#zha-exception-and-deviation-handling

If a Zigbee device doesn’t work with ZHA then report issue as feature request to ZHA Device Handlers:

https://github.com/zigpy/zha-device-handlers/issues

That’s good to know, thanks @Hedda

Having read through many similar posts as a relative newbie I have to say how simple adding an Aeotec socket was . It’s called an outlet (I’m sure there’s a good marketing reason for that but beats me - it’s a socket). I already had a ConbeeII pluged into my RaspberryPi4 running HA OS (I don’t think it makes any difference whether you run this setup or Supervisor mode) and when I say the ConbeeII was plugged in that’s pretty much all I did - no complex configuration stuff

the ConbeeII was automatically detected as a device but needed me to press Migrate Radio" once to wake it up. After that it sat patiently doing nothing until I took the plunge and ordered an Aeotec Smart Plug from Smarthome Enterprises (no connection but just trying to keep this post ozzie based). Once received plug the device in - wait until the Led blinks pale red and bright green then go into Home Assistant, click Settings then Devices & Services and find your ConbeeII and click configure then “add device” tucked away bottom right. The ConbeeII will then find the new socket (give it time - this took 2 minutes for me) after that it’s plain sailing - this socket exposes a whole raft of power details as well as the basic on off stuff.

It’s rated at 10A which is plenty enough for all but the biggest heaters - I am using it to turn my home security cameras on and off when I leave and return home - I’ll post a bit more on that experience later

These aren’t the cheapest of sockets but they worked straight out of the box which is a big winner for me

I’m not affiliated with any of the devices I’ve described here but I am affiliated with stuff that does what it says on the box and works first time without requiring that I learn how to flash code onto it!!

1 Like

It appears as if the aeotec power plug’s aren’t made for zigbee anymore, and that aeotec have moved to z-wave. Or atleast, the power plug hasn’t been in stock for 3-6 months.

I’m still in the market for a good zigbee power monitor for AU plugs. Oz Smart Things seem to have their own branded one ( Oz Zigbee Smart Plug Energy Monitoring Smart Home Automation Australia (ozsmartthings.com.au)), but the fact that it’s some small company and it appears they’re just white labelling something makes me a bit nervous as to the quality.