Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

My guess is that I don’t l think anything will happen as you can have two separate switches connected in other configurations. The controller logic will just ignore the second command trying to override the first.

1 Like

So I got all the parts and tested this out. 3 momentary SPDT switches in parallel with each other and the shelly dimmer 2 at the end before the light and it works as expected. Conflicting inputs does nothing as you expected – so that’s a relief. One will also need an additional 2-core cable between the switches to carry the SW1 and SW2 signals.

The only thing I don’t quite get is forcing up/down position to off/on exclusively. With the “dual switch” setting in the dimmer’s setting, either position (up or down) of the switch can toggle the light. Dim and brighten work as expected though, ie up to brighten and down to dim.

1 Like

My setup works the same. Initially it annoyed me but over time I don’t notice anymore. More importantly my partner doesn’t care and is just happy it always works.

1 Like

I don’t seem to have guest access in my Kasa app anymore. Used to be able to skip create account. But it’s not possible now? Anyone else confirm? I can’t do anything with my existing devices currently.

Can confirm I don’t have ‘guest’ available either.

That said I have an account so can still get in, as long as I remember to unblock the tp-link domains in Adguard!

I just bought two of these: https://smarthomedirect.com.au/product/zigbee-smart-plug-with-repeater/ as I was sick and tired of flashable wifi plugs dying after 12 months (also they are getting harder to find).

The ones I was sent look nothing like the picture. They are actually these: Climax Power Plug PSM-29ZBSR Zigbee compatibility with an AU outlet.

Specs and approvals seem the same.

No issue pairing with Zigbee2mqtt. Power updates every 10 seconds, switch has no lag.

The only thing is the price. $100ea :grimacing:

They had better bloody well last twenty years.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even pay that for Z-wave…

The other thing I forgot to mention was that I’m heading overseas for a year in two weeks and needed some simple to configure spares for my house sitter.

:open_mouth:
Makes me glad I picked up a few of the samsung ones when they were running out at JBHifi before covid hit.

You think that’s bad, the MSRP is listed as $280 in a number of places :exploding_head:

Hi there,
I have started a sauna build at home and have read an interesting github from Kille, GitHub - killee/Sauna-controller: Sauna Controller with esp8266 ESPHome for a integration in Home Assistant
Has anyone else in Oz or Nz had a go at using HA to control your sauna? I know many heaters have wifi control panels and there are posts where integrations with these are attempted but I haven’t found a simple integration - most require some coding and fiddling.
Pat

I will doing a similar set up in the near future, do you have a drawing or a visual of the wiring?

You also have to excuse my ignorance, but I don’t get how you turn the light on/off. Obviously pushing up turns the light on and down dims the light, but how do you turn it off?

A short press on either will toggle the light on or off.
A longer press will dim.

1 Like

Hope this helps. And yes, as @jivesinger said, a short press on either up/down will toggle the light and a long press will brighten or dim.

3 Likes

KP115 $19.95 if it your first purchase through the Amazon App. Look for the small “Promotion Message”
https://www.amazon.com.au/TP-Link-Kasa-Smart-Energy-Monitoring/dp/B08SHN7S33/ref=sr_1_5?crid=26PF84OFO7TO0&keywords=tp-link+kasa+smart+wi-fi+plug&qid=1666349004&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjk4IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=Link+Kasa+Smart+Wi-F%2Caps%2C550&sr=8-5

But can we set them up locally anymore?

Yes I bought 3 for a slightly higher price just the other day…

Does you app have the ability to skip the login though? Mine disappeared and I had to make an account

yes true I foolishly updated the other day. I created an account but no problems with local control that I can see. I have an Android phone so I could side load an older version of the app I guess.

I also bought a few of the TP-Link Kasa plugs a couple weeks ago via the link here and set them up without installing the app.

I followed the tip at TP-Link Kasa Smart - Home Assistant to use the kasa Python CLI to join them to my Wi-Fi and then added them to Home Assistant.

I did something like this on my Mac to install the kasa tool:

python3 -m venv tplink
cd tplink
bin/pip install python-kasa

Then after joining the WiFi network of the new device:

# find the IP (it should be at 192.168.0.1)
bin/kasa discover
# scan for Wi-Fi networks
bin/kasa --host 192.168.0.1 wifi scan
# join your network
bin/kasa --host 192.168.0.1 wifi join my-iot-ssid

Once they’ve joined to your network, switch back to your main Wi-Fi and add them to Home Assistant using discovery. Took me about a minute to set up each one.

4 Likes