Zigbee smoke detectors go offline

Hello!

I am new to Home Assistant but I am having a lot of fun so far by connecting Zigbee devices to my network. All my devices seem to work fine except of my smoke detectors. I have 3 smoke detectors from the brand “KlikAanKlikUit” and they are placed on every floor of my house. The issue I am having is that they randomly going “Unknown”, “Unavailable” or “Offline” and online again in Home Assistant. It is never the case that all 3 of them are online there is always 1 or 2 that are “Unknown”. Is there something wrong with my Zigbee network? I already added a Zigbee extender which did not make any difference. Or is there another reason why devices can have this behavior?

I added an image of my Zigbee network.

Thanks in advance.

My history tab for the logs over the weekend:

Hi David, welcome to the forum!

So you also have other zigbee devices then these smoke detectors and only the smoke detectors go offline?
What integration are you using and which coordinator/extender are you using and do you use extension cables for you coordinator, which is in a USB2.0 port?
Which smoke detectors do you use?

Hey Nick, thank you!

Yes I have 7 other Zigbee devices running without any issues. I am using the “Zigbee Home Automation” integration on a mini pc server which runs Home Assistant in docker. To the server I attached the “Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus” usb dongle into a USB3.0 port. I don’t use any other extension cables. I do have a “TRÅDFRI” signal booster from Ikea, but I don’t notice any difference with or without the booster. The smoke detectors have the same issues and the rest of my devices are still running correctly. The smoke detectors I use are from the brand “KlikAanKlikUit”.

Do they (kaku) only have 1 type of smoke detector?

USB 3.0 is a nogo and using an extension cable is advised for zigbee.

Yes they only have 1 type of smoke detector. I did not know inserting the Zigbee dongle in a 3.0 port was a bad thing. With an extension cable you mean an extension cable inserted into a USB2.0 port attached with the “Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus”? Can you explain a bit why this is better?

USB2.0 & extension cable are two of the most shouted things when having zigbee issues.

Some stuff to read:

Thanks I will read into it!

Just wanted to say that switching to an usb 2.0 extension cable fixed my issue, thank you!

1 Like

Good you got it solved that way and thanks for letting me know!
Have fun on your automation path.