Zigbee Sonoff eWeLink sensors drop off after battery drop/low battery and won't reconnect

I’ve been trying to hunt down this issue for a while and finally made a few conclusions that may help others and also to ask a key question.
When my zigbee sensors drop battery level (not 0% but too low to communicate) they go “Unavailable” in HA as you’d expect. Checking their data they show something like:

Which is when their battery died. When this happens I go and replace the battery, however they never re-connect.
This particular device is a TH01 by eWeLink (Temperature and humidity sensor by Sonoff).
Leaving the battery out for 5 minutes and then back in doesn’t make a difference. It’s almost as though when they lose power they lose their pairing and you then have to delete and re-pair them all over again (but this isn’t simple as shown below).
I’ve eliminated signal strength as tested this with a sensor beside my Zigbee co-ordinator to confirm my theory.

Before the device lost power due to battery, it’s data showed up as:

IEEE: 00:12:4b:00:29:0f:85:07
Nwk: 0x4cd7
Device Type: EndDevice
LQI: 178
RSSI: Unknown
Power Source: Battery or Unknown

If I now delete the sensor, I put the device into pairing mode, go to add new in HA for Zigbee, it discovers but then it struggles to re-add. I suspect because some pairing/identification is still there so it adds the device but without any data (no temperature, etc). I have to delete and redo this quite a few times before it will work. But it comes back with different data:

IEEE: 00:12:4b:00:29:0f:85:07
NWK: 0xeb16
Device Type: EndDevice
LQI: 178
RSSI: Unknown
Power Source: Battery or Unknown

Perhaps somebody that knows Zigbee protocol/devices better could explain:

• Does the end device ‘store’ the co-ordinator/hub and so does it lose this when power is lost
  • Does the ID somehow change when battery replaced
  • Should ‘Reconfigure’ on the HA integration page work to re-establish? I’ve never had any success with this button!

UPDATE - Some of my devices (Zigbee lightbulbs) get turned off occasionally. As these act as hub/repeaters, could this be causing issues with reachability of some of these battery powered devices? I.e. is the network not re-converging when devices are disconnected possibly?

Most Zigbee devices will try to find a new route when a router becomes unavailable.

Thanks, yes I’d suspected that, but the sensor struggling appeared (on the network diagram) to be trying to communicate via an offline device. Could it be these sensors aren’t very good at recalculating a path?

Hello,
I have same problem with Sonoff devices.
Every time I replace a Battery I need to delete and re-pair the sensor.
Is very strange