Zigbee Visualisation - What Does "Good" Look Like?

So… in my efforts to migrate zigbee bulbs from two Philips Hue hubs to a single Sonoff Zigbee Pro dongle - I now have a total of 48 devices hanging off HA. The result is the above mesh.

Most of the items are mains powered (GU10 innr / Gled spots, and the odd Sonoff temp / relay). Question is - should the visualisation look this “messy”? I’ve read that the colour scales aren’t the most intuative (grey lines worse than red) - but just curious as to whether this looks “normal”.

For bonus points - what recommendation would people have, for solving random light drop-outs towards the extents of the mesh? Would it be easier to being the USB dongle more physically central to the house? Would I be better off installing a second Sonoff Zigbee dongle?

Thoughts and feedback welcome!

If it works… Don’t over think it. The ZHA map is notoriously shy of useful information.

2 Likes

That’s the general approach so far!

I have discovered the Zigbee Groups (Binding?) and tweaked the automations to trigger the grouped entity, as opposed to the helper group entity - not sure if that helps, but like you say, it does “work”.

Just that coming from a networking background, though being new to Zigbee - was expecting something a little more “orderly”. But then I do have 25x of those devices as downlighters in a single room - and watching the Mexican wave as they spring to life is now being defined by me to the wife as a “stylistic feature”!

I moved from ZHA to Zigbee2MQTT (not saying that you should unless you feel the need !) but your ZHA map looks fine to me, in fact it’s rather neat compared to the one Z2M would spit out for you.

I too get random drop outs towards the end of the mesh. I assume you have looked at the channels you’re running 2.4 Wi-FI and Zigbee on ? - Best to be sure you’re not suffering from interference etc.
I also have a couple of IKEA Tradfri Zigbee Repeaters which can be useful to drop into any drop-out zones to ensure the mesh is solid at the edges. - If you do find what’s causing it please update here as there are many of us nursing unexplained drop-outs.

1 Like