Zigbee + zwave

Zigbee on one stick, Z-wave on another, both plugged into a pi3 running Hassos. I see the z-wave stick and can talk to it… zigbee, nada… Here’s what’s in my configuration.yaml, I know its something simple I’m doing wrong so someone please point to me where:

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0

zha:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM1
  database_path: /config/zigbee.db

Where did you get the device path from?

My zwave stick is a ttyACMx but my zigbee radio (HUSZBZ-1) is ttyUSBx.

where do you get the device paths from? If I pull up the System/Hardware button, I see:
serial:

• /dev/ttyAMA0
  • /dev/ttyACM0
  • /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00

I don’t use Hassio so I get my devices from the command line.

I see the Aeotec z stick listed by id. I’m assuming that the ACM0 is the same thing but not by id since the zstick is working.

but that third item in the list isn’t the same as the path you are using as the zigbee stick. So why are you using ACM1 instead of AMA0 (since that is the only other option in the hardware list)?

Am I missing something?

The only thing you were missing was my doing a duh. Changed port to ttyAMA0 and we’re talking, but talking about errors:

Sat Sep 14 2019 13:20:32 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Error setting up entry /dev/ttyACM0 for zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 190, in async_setup
    hass, self
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 107, in async_setup_entry
    await zha_gateway.async_initialize()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 124, in async_initialize
    await self.application_controller.startup(auto_form=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py", line 113, in startup
    await self.initialize()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py", line 62, in initialize
    await e.reset()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/ezsp.py", line 55, in reset
    await self._gw.reset()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/uart.py", line 208, in reset
    return await asyncio.wait_for(self._reset_future, timeout=RESET_TIMEOUT)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py", line 449, in wait_for
    raise futures.TimeoutError()
concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError

I’m gunna try a hard reboot right now just for giggles.

Addendum:
Well, at least the error message went away, but, no joy.

I remember something about the config getting saved in the .storage files somewhere- device registry maybe - when you give it a config and if you change it later it gets stuck in there so you have to edit the file manually.

Or maybe not…

Good thought, didn’t work though. I think this puppy is just not being hardware recognized, otherwise I think I would have seen it as a device popping up.
So, I’m giving up on the Chengdu Ebyte Model E18-2G4U04B that I got from Alibaba for $7US and broke down with an order just now on Amazon for a Conbee II zigbee stick.

Sounds like a good plan…

the HUSZBZ-1 is a good choice too. It’s worked good for me for two years now.

Why not the HUSBZB-1? …same family of device (nortek) but handles ZigBee and ZWave off the same controller.

oops…

I meant HUSBZB-1…not HUSZBZ-1.

Because black USB sticks are far superior to white USB sticks. :slight_smile:
Actually, because I already have a Zooz z-wave+ stick that’s functioning and I was concerned the z-wave in the HUS might interfere.

::upon having the fact pointed out to him and realizing the truth of it Jason’s gaze keeps being drawn back to the white and grey casing of his Nortek HUSBZB-01 until he finally gets up to go rummage around for the spray can of black plastic paint he’s pretty sure is still out there somewhere::

…fair enough… I’m just really happy that someone makes a ZWave AND ZigBee stick… and that it’s Nortek- even better… Nortek also makes the 2GIG line of products and my last 2 employers both… I’m a 2GIG 2G/3G Certified Installer and would like to see them do well in this market space… Maybe they’ll realize there’s a market for compatible security systems so next time I’m face-to-face with some of their people I have something to push for…

I’ve been using the Aeotec zwave stick and the HUSBZB-1 stick together for two years and have noticed anything that could be attributed to the two sticks in the same machine.

And my reasoning back then was that if my zstick broke I would already have a backup.

Just a little update for those of you watching at home:
It’s working now. Here is what my serial port hardware looks like

serial:

* /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2119532-if00
* /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00
* /dev/ttyAMA0
* /dev/ttyACM0
* /dev/ttyACM1

I found the existing zooz z-wave stick was interfering with the ConBee stick so pulled the zooz stick, the ConBee stick then could get it’s firmware updates and start discovering stuff.
It also took a bit to figure out that zha: or zigbee: doesn’t work and I needed to install and configure DeConz addon for a ConBee stick (through Integrations menu, NOT configuration.yaml), and configure it for ttyACM1 even though ttyACM1 didn’t exist. Yes, ttyACM1 DID appear in my hardware list AFTER I configured the stick to use it.

THEN plugged in the zooz stick and set that port for ttyACM0 in the configuration.yaml… and started discovering stuff.

So my assumption is: ttyACMx is the USB ports, ttyAMAx is the pi top-hat interface and ttyUSBx is what you see if you are using full Linux rather than HASSOS. Please correct me if my assumption is in error.

Bottom line: All is well