Zigbee2mqtt - as an addon or standalone on a different RPI?

I’ve recently started using HA, very excited about it.

I have HA running on a RPI. Tried ZHA and realized its general-purposeness is also its curse, interested in using zigbee2mqtt instead.

I have a spare RPI and trying to figure out what is the best architecture for my case.

Should I:

1. Install zigbee2mqtt as an HA addon
  2. Install zigbee2mqtt on a docker on my HA RPI?
  3. Install zigbee2mqtt on a docker on the other RPI?
  4. Do something else entirely?

Thanks.

Such choice is personal. But myself, I have mosquitto and zigbee2mqtt installed on bare metal on a separate Pi.

Means you went through the “Linux” installation method? All of the components (Mosquittio, Zigbee2mqtt) installed directly on the OS without virtualization?
What are the advantages of this? I guess slightly performance?

Also, where does deCONZ fit into all of this? It’s also installed on your separate PI?

deConz is not necessary if using Zigbee2MQTT (and I use a CC2652). yes indeed installed directly on the OS without virtualization. No docker overhead.

Can you point me to a CC2652 stick? There’s so many and I’m not sure what to buy. Also why get it over a ConBee II?

I recommend using the ZigStar Stick v4. The stick works flawlessy with zigbee2mqtt out-of-the-box and is very powerful. And last but not least: Responsive devs and fast delivery after ordering.

For more information about Zigbee sticks look here.

I would recommend using your spare pi and just doing the bare metal install of zigbee2mqtt. Thus work best for me as I was able to move my spare pi around the house and in different configurations to see the best way to build a strong mesh between devices.

1 Like

Sadly out of stock - will keep an eye out, thanks.

Yeah I’ll go with this option, thanks.