Zigbee2mqtt broken after data partition move to usb ssd (datactl)

So first of all, I’m pretty new at this, and not familiar with all the details yet.

I’ve been using zigbee2mqtt with slae.sh CC2652RB stick for months now with great success. However, today I’ve been trying to move at least the data partition of my HA install running on RPi4B to a usb ssd.
I have tried out two ways:

1. Move entire home assistant to SSD (creating a new system on SSD and restoring a snapshot)
  2. Use the datactl command to move data partition to SSD

I have tried both of these on two different SSDs: 120GB WD green connected via startech adapter, and a 128 GB sandisk extreme pro usb stick (SSD in a usb stick kind of a deal).

I have also tried all of the above by either connecting the SSD directly to a USB3 port on the pi, and also via a powered USB3 hub.

After each trial, I get to the same point: Everything else works, except zigbee. The devices are still there, but when I try to turn off a socket (from lidl), nothing happens, and I get a timeout. If I try to turn off or on some ikea lightbulbs, I get “Data request failed with error: ‘No network route’ (205)”. I tried to reset and rejoin the network with the sockets, but I could not get any device to show up again.

After these trials, I restored a prior snapshot to the SD card, and all is fine again. Just I’m exactly where I started. As I’m pretty new to HA world, I don’t really know where or how to start debugging this kind of behavior.

Here are some errors I got from the log:

> error  `Publish
>  'set' 'state' to 'lidl_socket' failed: 'Error: Command 
> 0xbc33acfffe54acbc/1 genOnOff.off({}, 
> {"timeout":10000,"disableResponse":false,"disableRecovery":false,"disableDefaultResponse":false,"direction":0,"srcEndpoint":null,"reservedBits":0,"manufacturerCode":null,"transactionSequenceNumber":null,"writeUndiv":false})
>  failed (Data request failed with error: 'MAC channel access failure' 
> (225))'`
> 
> info  `MQTT
>  publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/log', payload '{"message":"Publish 
> 'set' 'state' to 'lidl_socket' failed: 'Error: Command 
> {\"timeout\":10000,\"disableResponse\":false,\"disableRecovery\":false,\"disableDefaultResponse\":false,\"direction\":0,\"srcEndpoint\":null,\"reservedBits\":0,\"manufacturerCode\":null,\"transactionSequenceNumber\":null,\"writeUndiv\":false})
>  failed (Data request failed with error: 'MAC channel access failure' 
> (225))'","meta":{"friendly_name":"lidl_socket"},"type":"zigbee_publish_error"}'`
> 
> warning  `Device '0xbc33acfffe54acbc' left the network`
> 
> info  `MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/event', payload '{"data":{"ieee_address":"0xbc33acfffe54acbc"},"type":"device_leave"}'`
> 
> info  `MQTT
>  publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/log', payload 
> '{"message":"left_network","meta":{"friendly_name":"0xbc33acfffe54acbc"},"type":"device_removed"}'`
> 
> 
> info  `MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/event', payload '{"data":{"ieee_address":"0xbc33acfffe54acbc"},"type":"device_leave"}'`
> 
> info  `MQTT
> '{"message":"left_network","meta":{"friendly_name":"0xbc33acfffe54acbc"},"type":"device_removed"}'`
> 
> 
> 
> info  `MQTT
> 
> error  `Publish
>  'set' 'state' to 'lidl_socket' failed: 'Error: Command 
> {"timeout":10000,"disableResponse":false,"disableRecovery":false,"disableDefaultResponse":false,"direction":0,"srcEndpoint":null,"reservedBits":0,"manufacturerCode":null,"transactionSequenceNumber":null,"writeUndiv":false})
>  failed (Data request failed with error: 'No network route' (205))'`
> 
> info  `MQTT
>  publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/log', payload '{"message":"Publish 
> 'set' 'state' to 'lidl_socket' failed: 'Error: Command 
> {\"timeout\":10000,\"disableResponse\":false,\"disableRecovery\":false,\"disableDefaultResponse\":false,\"direction\":0,\"srcEndpoint\":null,\"reservedBits\":0,\"manufacturerCode\":null,\"transactionSequenceNumber\":null,\"writeUndiv\":false})
>  failed (Data request failed with error: 'No network route' 
> (205))'","meta":{"friendly_name":"lidl_socket"},"type":"zigbee_publish_error"}'`
1 Like

I’ve got exactly the same issue

Simply : the SSD in the USB3 port creates interference with Zigbee

Solution : use an USB extension cable to get your Zigbee stick away from the SSD.