Zigbee2MQTT Devices don't show up in HomeAssistant

Hello all,

I just set up my home assistant server today and started out by connecting my IKEA Tradfri LEDs and Aquara Sensors to HA via Zigbee2MQTT with the Sonoff ZigBee Stick. While I had some issues with the initial connection to z2m, it eventually did work.
However, while all my connected devices show up in the z2m frontend, they devices are not available in Home Assistant.

I am using the Zigbee2MQTT addon on a fresh install of home assistant OS and the mosquitto addon as well. When connecting to Mostquitto via MQTT Explorer everything seems to work fine as well. I have restarted every addon and the complete host, but still no success.

Does anybody have an idea what could cause this issue? I appreciate your help!

@modev I haven’t used MQTT, but I believe you need to enable “auto-discovery” or the like for the devices from MQTT to be imported automatically into HA. Otherwise you have to define them manually in the HA configuration file so it knows about them. Perhaps that is the issue?
-David

In your zigbee2mqtt config.yaml, do you have

homeassistant: true

Zigbee2mqtt sends the discovery payload to Home assistant with that setting, so if configured right, the devices should add to homeassistant automatically.

Are you using the mosquitto addon or is mosquitto running some other way? Make sure the mqtt integration in Home Assistant is added as well and setup correctly. Here’s the documentation:

It’s enabled automatically on the home assistant mqtt integration unless the user goes into the advanced options and disables it

Are you using the mosquitto addon or is mosquitto running some other way? Make sure the mqtt integration in Home Assistant is added as well and setup correctly. Here’s the documentation:

I installed mosquitto as an add-on from the addons page and didn’t change any of the default settings. Everything is as default right now.

I installed Zigbee2Mqtt as an add-on as well using the GitHub Readme as an referencehttps://github.com/zigbee2mqtt/hassio-zigbee2mqtt#installation

Addition: I don’t have my Hue light switch modules installed yet, so it occasionally happens that the lights will loose power. Despite me living in a relatively small 70sqm apartment (so range should not be an issue), the network did not recover well and lost connection between all devices (even those who were in range of the coordinator).

I have no clue what is happening, but a re-install might be the best option, am I right?

You want to keep the devices and bulbs powered. Removing power will mess up the zigbee mesh network and it can take time to recover.

Take a look at this post to try and get zigbee2mqtt and the broker working

1 Like

Thanks everyone for helping out! Unsurprisingly, this turned out to be a user issue. While I did install the mosquitto addon, I completely forgot to configure it. So while the MQTT server was running and z2m was communicating properly, the MQTT Addon did not advertise the newly discovered devices to Home Assistant.

Dear @modev , i’m facing the sami issue. Can you clarify better what have you done?
In my case, i use an MQTT_user that i’ve created to configure this…

Solved.
Needed to remove mqtt broker from the add-ons, but also from integrations, before re-install it.

1 Like

I had the same problem.
I just did that: homeassistant true", and restart zigbee2mqtt addon and MQTT HA started to recognize zigbee devices. I had already configured MQTT HA with auto recognition.
Thanks