Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

Do you use the alexa Media Player custom component for that.

Could you share your configuration?

I moved my automations to node red. I can post the flow if you use node red?

I don’t. Nevermind. Thanks

I pulled up those two automations from an old backup file for when it was in HA. These were only set to trigger between 8am and 11pm:

- id: 'raining'
  alias: Raining
  trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.0x00158d0002369013
    platform: state
    to: 'on'
  condition:
  - after: '8:00'
    before: '23:00'
    condition: time
  action:
  - data:
      entity_id: media_player.echo_plus
    service: media_player.alexa_tts 

- id: 'not_raining
  alias: Not Raining
  trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.0x00158d0002369013
    platform: state
    to: 'off'
  condition:
  - after: '8:00'
    before: '23:00'
    condition: time
  action:
  - data:
      entity_id: media_player.echo_plus
    service: media_player.alexa_tts
1 Like

I see you also use the alexa media player component. I thought maybe I missed something new.

Would be cool to be able to ask Alexa if it rains.
But I think this should already be possible with routines. The downside here would be that you have to remember the exact routine name.

I could imagine it like this:
Routine: “Does it rain” that triggers an input Boolean to turn on

Automation that’s looks for that Boolean and than triggers the Mediaplayer to tell you the answer with an if that’s looks for rain/notrain.

The issue here would be to know which Alexa was asked and only push the message to that device.

Of course you could always look out of the window, but this is only an example. Ask for the washing machine to be ready could be another.

Offtopic:
What’s was the reason to change to nodered? Object based programming?

There’s a different component that provides a sensor.last_alexa which is used to respond back to the correct echo:

Regarding why nodered? Because more complex automations are 100x easier and faster to create. The screenshot below is a node red automation. If I ask Alexa, “Is the garage door open?”, alexa turns on the HA boolean. The automation then replies back to the amazon echo where I asked the question with one of four answers depending on whether one or both garage doors are open or closed. Creating this automation in HA took days and the help of more than 1 expert to get it right. I created it in node red in 10 minutes:

1 Like

Ok, I should also give nodered a try.

But for simple yes or no questions I could still do it with an automation.

Do you have that automation from before you switched to nodered in your backup?
Also how does you sensor config look like? This one?

Here is the thread for the garage doors. What a nightmare trying to automate that in HA that was. The last post in that two week struggle has the answer:

No, its this one as the other one is too slow:

I know the author of that says its no longer required and to use Keaton’s component, but Keaton’s last_alexa sensor doesn’t update quickly enough to use for most people.

Yeah, I tried that sensor and also wondered about it beeing slow.
And this way the alexa I talk with will probably not respond.
What a pitty I thought that I already have everything togehter to do this. So I have to look at the script too.

I’m wondering how automation triggers the right alexa device, because you only got the echo_plus in there.
But I’m searching for a automation that also uses that lastalexa sensor as an input for the mediaplayer.

something like

mediaplayer.{sensor.lastalexa}

Yes I have one it will work in reverse, I get dry or wet and when my garage gets water on the floor it triggers wet until it’s dry.

1 Like

What do you want to do with it? Do you want place the device completely in water?

I’m a little concerned about the security score of nodered. It’s only 2 of 6 so I think I will keep the automations in ha, but thanks for your examples.

Lol. It wouldn’t be powerful enough to do what it does if it had a high score. No need to reply as this discussion is way off topic.

Yes I wanted to submerge it in a tank at a certain level, when the water went below that level it would trigger false/dry I’m assuming then I would automated in HA based on that,

It might be better to attach an insulated wire to each of the two screw mounts on the bottom of the sensor and run the exposed ends of the wires down to the depth you need to check. I’d be afraid to submerge the whole unit. For a rain sensor, I have the unit mounted under the eave and ran two wires out into where the rain would complete the circuit.

1 Like

I also think that it is not to place it in water. Could also lower the connection quality.
But if there is a possibility to attach to wires than you can also use a water level sensor with it.

Example

@PlayedIn could you show us a photo of that connectors? I’m searching for a way to be notified when the post man opens the postbox. The reception in it is to bad for a Aqara door sensor. Maybe I could use a water sensor with a reed sensor attached to the connectors.

1 Like

3 Likes

Nice to know, with this every simple on off sensor can be added to the zigbee network

Do you keep it in a waterproof container?

I’m looking to add a router to my small network and wonder whether anyone’s got any strong feelings on whether it is worth doing “the build” of the CC2530 or whether to just flash another CC2531 with router firmware rather than coordinator? I’m looking to monitor an outdoor gate.
As a corollary, is anyone using the Xiaomi sensors outside - but suitably waterproofed? If so, what lengths have you gone to? Thanks! :slight_smile: