Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

Looks great. Out of curiosity, what do you use to map the network?

Not answering for @wixoff, but this thread has details of a method to see your network map in home assistant. Zigbee2mqtt: show the networkmap in home assistant

This looks good, thanks. I am currently fiddling with the ZHA integration. Which is working quite well at the moment. It appears this doesn’t work which ZHA, do you know of any that do?

Is it the case, that the closer you get to the 15 device limit, the more chance you get of a ‘message’ from a node being missed? I could have sworn my setup didn’t miss a beat until I started adding a few more devices and now PIR or door contact status updates sometimes don’t seem to register.

Also if I am to improve reception/range/reliability with a CC2530 router, I must admit I’m confused as to by what mechanism this helps. Is the CC2530 effectively a repeater? How are duplicate messages avoided? Presumably the CC2530 needs to be within range of the CC2531 but other than that all it needs is power? Thanks
Finally, anyone aware of any CC2530 available in Europe?

Yes, and somebody on this board is selling them, pre-flashed with a case and antenna. That’s a bit more expensive than buying them from Gearbest/AliExpress, but far more convenient.

Yes it is (the term here is router), and the same way as with any mesh network - a device will talk to a single node - either a router, or the coordinator itself.

Yes, and yes. Mine’s hanging off an old mobile phone charger plug.

1 Like

That’s me. :wave:

See my ad here:

Ad: Buy a ready2use zigbee2mqtt stick - flashed, antenna mod and printed case - Hardware - Home Assistant Community

1 Like

I’ve noticed oddities - and I don’t know if I want to say it’s a zigbee2mqtt but more of a zigbee/hue thing. Before I switched to zigbee2mqtt I would notice that HASS would report that my bedroom light was unavailable often around 3am - I would find that controlling that light directly would fail, but controlling a group that that light is in would work fine. Switched to zigbee2mqtt and I’ve noticed this seems to be continuing, for the last two nights (since installing), around 3am my zigbee map is reporting that the mesh has died and that all the devices are just connected (with very weak or non-existant signals) to the coordinator. Trying to control my bed light directly fails with no ack messages, but controlling a group it’s in works fine. An hour or so later the mesh has returned and everything is fine

What the hell could be causing this? Does anyone have any idea I’m stumped.

I’m confused about how I should go about installing a repeater. I’m all set to buy one from @h4nc but once I’ve got it, how do I tell my existing network it exists, and how do the nodes decide whether they’re talking to the new repeater or my existing coordinator? Thanks

You install a router (=repeater) the same way as pairing new enddevices.

First you turn permit_join to true and than plug in the router in a usb port near your coordinator.

The devices will find the best way by themselves. @Koenkk often told that the zigbee2mqtt maps don’t work reliable yet.

So if your maps show that a enddevice is only connected to the coordinator, it could also be connected with the new router.
So if you had problems before and they are gone with an additional router, it is most likely that the router was the problemsolver here (even if you maybe cannot see it in a map).
If I’m wrong @koenkk will correct me.

1 Like

hello.
i have firmware 20190223 installed. should i upgrade to 20190515 ?
i also seen that there are firmwares 3.0.x -> what is the difference?
thanks

See: http://zigbee2mqtt.discourse.group/t/which-firmware-to-choose-for-cc2531-z-stack-version/94/5

My CC2531 USB Routers no longer seem to be connected to the co-ordinator.
I haven’t done anything that I can think of to make them disconnect/un-pair.
If I run a graphviz map this is what i see

“0x00124b0012023169” [style=“rounded”, label="{0x00124b0012023169|Router|Custom devices (DiY) CC2530 router (CC2530.ROUTER)|offline}"];,

“0x00124b0012013c6e” [style=“rounded”, label="{0x00124b0012013c6e|Router|Custom devices (DiY) CC2530 router (CC2530.ROUTER)|offline}"];

They come up as cc2530, but they are actually cc2531. They were working fine before, I haven’t changed the firmware, although the zigbee container has probably auto-upgraded a few times. What can I do to make them reconnect / rejoin my zigbee network?

edit: was able to get them to rejoin by enabling joining in zigbee2mqtt then holding down the closest button for 5s, then repressing the button a few times. The second router took quite a few goes but eventually seems to be back online again.

Scroll down and read the section: repair

1 Like

I use zigbee2mqtt via hassio. Do I need to wait for the next upgrade of zigbee2mqtt on hassio for a device I recently added to the zigbee2mqtt project?

Can someone tell me what symptoms I should expect if I’ve hit a device limit with my zigbee network and can’t onboard any more devices?

I’ve recently had to remove a router and found that a nearby temp sensor no longer provided updates, so I’ve removed it and have been trying to rejoin but it’s just not allowing it but without feedback in the logs, even with debug. I have 24 devices plus a GBAN co-ordinator, the temp sensor would have made it 25.

Does anyone else use a Hue Dimmer Remote Switch? https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hue-Dimmer-Installation-Free-Exclusive/dp/B0167Z0P3I

If so - I’m curious - does this thing goto sleep or something? At times, I have to hit it like 2 times after we get up from bed and here’s a screenshot of the activity on it.

This is zigbee2mqtt running on a RPI 3 in the room same room with the switch less than 3 ft from the switch.

I’d really like to know how LQI reporting works.
If LQI is actually 0 then how can the device report it?
I see similar:

Im having issues with some devices disappearing and what I consider to be generally a low link quality.
I am planning to change my wifi channel (easier than repairing all my sensors) and see if it helps…

1 Like

OK - I’m pretty puzzled by this one - I posted a day or so ago on the Hue Dimmer Remote Switch and signal. This thing has been so frustrating. It works for a while then just dies off. It was working before bed last night perfectly. Then I get up in the morning and then it just gives a red light when I hit on vs a green light. If I reset it with all 4 buttons it will re-pair and work perfectly. Has anyone else seen this behavior? I don’t understand why something would pair, work for hours on end with intermittent usage, then un-pair overnight or when there are long periods of no use. I have this all setup in one room - so signal should not be an issue. The coordinator is less than 3 ft from the Hue Remote Switch and I just put a zigbee powered plug (Osram) as a router in the same room with all of this.

I do see some things like this in the log under zigbe2mqtt -
6/4/2019, 3:35:13 AM - warn: Device with modelID ‘’ is not supported.

But if I re-pair it comes in as a Hue Switch - so it’s like the remote re-pairs or checks in or something or goes to sleep and comes back unrecognized or something. I’m puzzled. Maybe firmware on the remote needs updated (and I don’t have a hue hub…).

Log of showing it properly detected in zigbe2mqtt logs:
6/2/2019, 7:58:45 PM - info: 0x0017880104ec08d6 (0x0017880104ec08d6): 324131092621 - Philips Hue dimmer switch (EndDevice)

Just looking for help/input from others who have a Hue Remote Switch working properly day in day out with zigbee2mqtt.

Thanks!

Check this out. Perhaps your problem is something similiar.

It may be - I mean when it’s working I get proper button presses etc - but it just stops working after what appears to be long times of no use (like overnight) and it un-pairs and I have to hit all 4 buttons to re-pair it with the zigbee2mqtt - and then it will work - until it un-pairs again. I’m very puzzled by this behavior. You’d think once paired, always paired.

Per this page - https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/support/dimmer-switch/top/troubleshooting-a-hue-dimmer-switch - " Your Hue dimmer switch flashes a red light when you press a button.

This indicates that the Hue dimmer switch might have lost its configuration. Try (re)connecting it to your Hue bridge or (re)connecting it to your Hue lights directly if you don’t use a Hue bridge."

This is the EXACT behavior I’m seeing after long periods (like overnight) of no usage on the remote.