Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

Very interesting. I currently have a hue hub, xiaomi gateway and my old smartthings hub acting as a mqtt gateway for my TRADFRI bulbs (which are very inconsistent), i was inclined to buy the TRADFRI hub to update the firmware and then pair them to my Hue hub however this might be a better solution.

For me the benefit of this (and deconz) is to move the zigbee integration and device support out of HA code.
By having a docker image/hassio addon it allows easy and ā€˜asynchronous to HAā€™ updates.
By using MQTT the solution makes use of very standard, stable and well known HA integration technique.

3 Likes

Thanks, couldnā€™t describe it better myself! :smile:

Have to say Iā€™m planning my HA install at the moment, and moving stuff into MQTT connectors makes a lot of sense. So all external devices go through MQTT leaving HA as the engine, and interaction point.

1 Like

Nice project @Koenkk,

I am on the same boat as you, and it was after spending quite a sum automating my lights I figured out I could access the state of my switches from outside my home. At that moment I decided I had to get rid of the Xaiomi gateway, because obviously it was communicating with a server which I donā€™t want.

But a few things please:

• Wouldnā€™t it be easier to just put the hub on like a different network, without access to the internet, so it canā€™t communicate outside than going all hacking? Considering this option at the moment, as I want to migrate all my automation kit to a different network, giving only HA access to the internet; as I have a spare router at home with openwrt.

• Like on the present hub, can one have the battery states of the sensors also? I read how to add support for other devices, so I guess its just a matter of adding ā€˜convertersā€™ to the lib/converters/zigbee2mqtt.js for the battery state?

• What is the coverage like of this solution, and if one has multiple, is it just a matter of using the configuration.yaml to specify which devices each one should listen to?

Thanks and regards

Im using a fingbox to block all the IoT hubs and devices I have that like to talk to servers outside my network.
Using another VLAN/subnet without routing to internet also works, but I love that fingbox can flip just one hub back ā€œonā€ to the internet e.g. for firmware update etc.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a cool kit, but wow it is expensive. Like the cheap stuff :smirk:

But I think disabling internet access to these devices as you did, is a nice step. Without need of creating more hacks, as sometimes it just makes things a bit messy.

• Then you would still have the problem of having multiple hubs (for E.G. Xiaomi, Tradfri) and I would still have to use the Xiaomi app to pair new devices.

• Battery state is already supported

• You decide with which instance of zigbee2mqtt your want to pair your device with.

I bought it as a funder on indiegogo, so it was cheaper.
For 100% sure that device is not indispensable, but it is nice.
Hopefully HA will get fingbox integration for presence detection.

(Sorry for offtopic discussion :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

Though I have just Xiaomi devices, as they produce all but a single component I need. Nice project and will give it a try.

1 Like

No worries, nice to see another way to do things every time :wink:

Interested in this thread. Just keeping an eye on it.

Iā€™ve ordered the kit from china (about Ā£16).
Now need to wait a few weeks for it to arriveā€¦

Same here, looking forward to it

Starred, Watched and purchased!

Looking forward to this, as in my bedroom i have low reception to my hub, so this will allow me to have a couple of bridges where ever i need them.

Im going to try and run it off of a OrangePi Zero as i have a few in cases lying around.

cheers!

1 Like

This looks like a great project. Will this work on hassio? If not are you planning an add on at all?

2 Likes

Do you know if the firmware it will work with the CC2540 also:

Any advantages with the CC2540 instead of the CC2531?

That looks like a Bluetooth not zigbee adapter. My guess is it wonā€™t work.

There is already a multi-arch docker image created by @Koenkk
Creating a hassio addon from that should be pretty easy.

Arhhā€¦ of courseā€¦ how stupid of me - CC2531 it is thenā€¦

I went for the ā€œhigher version numberingā€ is better approach - but obviously that that wasnā€™t the caseā€¦

1 Like