Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

At the moment not, can you create an issue on the github page? I can help you with it.

Im trying to find a way to do this - i’m working with @danielwelch hassio addon but building locally.
Pretty sure it will be a change to the dockerfile to ADD/COPY the node_modules dir(s) required.
I did this already with a local copy of @Koenkk repo and it was building OK. Now just need to add copy of local node_modules/zigbee-shepherd-converter dir.

This is not a simple way to test changes though - rebuild of the docker image for every change is poor workflow :slight_smile:
I am considering to set up a new VM just to work on this.

Trying to install zigbee2mqtt on an RPI 3. I’m using the steps pointed out in ‘running the bridge’.

All went well until step 5. After completing this step I receive the following error.

What could cause this problem?

@doubleUS, When I had this issue, it was mostly had to do with the sniffer. If the system isn’t seeing it, will come up with that problem.

What’s the output of ls /dev/tty*?

Regards

ls -l /dev/ttyACM0

Gives the following output:

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 mei 25 18:03 /dev/ttyACM0

So, the Pi ‘sees’ the sniffer.

Hmm, looks like you’re right. After disconnected the sniffer and re-inserted it, zigbee2mqtt started again.

Thanks, @Odianosen25!

But… It’s very unstable. Every time I stop and start zigbee2mqtt, I get these errors.

Did you get your bulb working? I’m using the 980lm bulb and can’t get it to pair at all.

Sadly no. I tried all the tricks mentioned in that link but didn’t get it working.

@hijinx I recommend plugging in the USB stick in your macbook and run just zigbee2mqtt locally on mac (install using npm) for adding new converters & debugging. When all done just put in a PR (@Koenkk is really active and you’ll probably get it merged pretty soon) and then resume using on RPI.

I don’t recommend using local builds of docker as that is very slow to get stuff going and not worth the trouble.

You’re probably right.
I’m running hassio in a vm on a esxi server, so I can just spin up a new temporary vm for dev.
All I’d need to do is pass through the usb sniffer to the other vm…

Does anyone know which downloader cable / cc debugger is required for sniffer device here : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RF-TO-USB-CC2530-CC2591-RF-switch-USB-transparent-serial-data-transmission-equipment/1996354384.html

Is there anything additional required for using this stick instead of the one mentioned in the getting started guide?

Best bet would be ask in this thread:

Looks like you need a 5 pin cable, but its not clear if there is any header soldered on the board already.
@kirovilya in that thread has got it working, but I’m pretty sure that he’s made a custom cable for it.

Also it need a different firmware because of the RF frontend in this sniffer.
I added a wiki page on @Koenkk repo with the links:

@doubleUS,

Glad you got it working. Not that it is unstable, but I found out its quite easy kind of for the sniffer to be held up by an application, and if you try starting it again, it will reject it.

Like I run it in docker, and if I use simply the one given, as the other containers are still running, after a while it will not be able to start again. So one has to stop and delete the previous containers. Or ensure to use the --rm=true flag.

So looking at step 5, though I did’t use it, its possible that the previous session you used wasn’t properly stopped, and you tried to start it again as a daemon. So since it was running before or still held up, the daemon will not be able to run. Re-inserting it cleared it out.

Regards

Does your bridge pick it up at all? I get spinlock: false appear in the log when starting the pairing process for my Xiaomi devices, for these Ikea bulbs, nothing. The bulb is within 10cm of the sniffer so I don’t think it’s a proximity issue.

Can you try updating the firmware version of the bulbs to the latest version? (using the TRADFRI hub). In the end of 2017 Ikea released firmwares which makes their devices fully ZLL compliant. This is (propbably) needed in order to work with zigbee2mqtt.

@Odianosen25 I followed your approach. I installed docker on my Pi3 and it’s working flawlessly with the --rm=true flag. Thanks for pointing me out this way.

@doubleUS, glad I could help. Though this is what I use when I am done debugging
docker run -it --name zigbee2mqtt -v /home/pi/zigbee2mqtt/data:/app/data --device=/dev/ttyACM0 --restart unless-stopped koenkk/zigbee2mqtt:arm32v6

Regards

I’ve added an Aqara door sensor using the code provided on the wiki but it is not displaying the battery percentage in Home Assistant. Any one else experiencing this issue?

Would anybody be interested in buying a cc2531 already flashed? Thinking of doing a bulk buy to save people having to flash their own, it would save people buying the downloader and debugger too.

4 Likes