Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

If i was to move the philips hue bulbs over to my (future) zigbee2mqtt docker that will hopefully be installed in my unRAID service, would those act as repeaters?

I am still trying to figure out if I should install zigbee2mqtt in my Pi that I don’t use anymore (it use to be my HA server but now that is in my unRAID box) and put it somewhere that is centered in the house but that is hard to find at the moment OR should I just put it in my server.

Current zigbee devices that are line powered are only the bulbs. Mostly i use Zwave.

Are the Tradfri bulbs and LED light any better? I have a few of these already and am tempted to try the zigbee2mqtt method.

Has anyone had any luck with Osram motion sensor? https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/devices/AC01353010G.html

I’m trying to pair it but it only halfs pair. I get three sensors that are occupancy, linkquality and temperature. But the occypancy binary_sensor never changes. There is some error when pairing about MAC transaction expired and Error: request unsuccess: 112.

Nothing changes when I remove the device and pair it again. Should the sensor react when pressing the side button?

zigbee2mqtt:warn 8/29/2019, 7:15:34 AM Failed to configure 0x000deviceid(0x000deviceid) (‘Error: AF data request fails, status code: 240. MAC transaction expired.’) (attempt #1)
zigbee2mqtt:warn 8/29/2019, 7:15:34 AM This can be ignored if the device is working properly
zigbee2mqtt:warn 8/29/2019, 7:15:43 AM Failed to configure 0x000deviceid(0x000deviceid) (‘Error: request unsuccess: 112’) (attempt #2)
zigbee2mqtt:warn 8/29/2019, 7:15:43 AM This can be ignored if the device is working properly
zigbee2mqtt:warn 8/29/2019, 7:15:55 AM Failed to configure 0x000deviceid(0x000deviceid) (‘Error: request unsuccess: 112’) (attempt #3)
zigbee2mqtt:warn 8/29/2019, 7:15:55 AM This can be ignored if the device is working properly

Yes, the Hue bulbs works as repeaters.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming this!

Hey folks, So successfully moved all my hue bulbs over to zigbee2mqtt from Hue :smiley:
I flashed the CC2531 using this guide with a pi zero

All the bulbs were discovered once removed from the Hue app (some took a moment to register in zigbee2mqtt) and the process was pretty painless.

One question though - the USB is in my under-stairs cupboard (connected to a PC via a hub to move my zwave and zigbee away from the PC and other large metal objects). I have an antenna on the stick as well - and in the room (that is above and 6 ft away - so 1 floor and 1 wall) I have a link quality of around 34-39 for 6 bulbs - they are hue ambiance used in the bathroom mirror lights). I also have 2 other bulbs nearby, but further away with a higher link quality 49.

The bulbs states are pretty inaccurate - but not all one way. Some are correct, and some are incorrect.

Will this settle down? Removing the hue hub is one less dependency, but not worth the lack of WAF!

Hello, could you add a support of Aqara curtain motor ZNGZDJ11LM?

See these instructions.

How do you add a new device to Hass.io? I cant access the docker container via ssh to edit the devices.js file.

Yes but what about unsupported devices? Ive tried to ssh in to the Hass.io container but I keep getting denied…

Wrong page, you want this one

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/how_tos/how_to_support_new_devices_on_hassio.html

Hey, over a year ago I bought a cc2531 that was already flashed with the z2m firmware. I later used a tool in Windows to update the firmware. I didn’t need a cc debugger or anything for it. Just plugging in the stick in the pc was enough and it worked. For some stupid reason I can’t remember I deleted the tool and now I can’t find it anymore. Does anyone know it’s name and know where I can download it? It made updating the firmware super easy!

Yep tried that but i cant ssh in to the container. What am I missing?

EDIT: Sorry, I just found the info needed.
https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/en/hassio_debugging.html

Its not perfect though.
Editing devices.js is one step, but you also need to edit homeassistant.js (which controls autodiscovery to HA), which is not exposed in a volume.
Hopefully the hassio addon will be enhanced to allow homeassistant.js to also be updated.
(or maybe z2m will be refactored to keep all the data in devices.js)

Did you ever have a problem where your ikea outlets seem to drop out of the zigbee network?
Im seeing an issue where these device:

• dont response to HA/Z2M requests
  • have zero link quality with surrounding repeaters/coordinator
  • switched themselves on

I can fix it by re-pairing, but it happens again.

I raised an issue for it in Z2M github, but no responses yet, so maybe its just me :frowning:

I haven’t had any problems with the outlets themselves. I do have a Xiaomi vibration sensor that sometimes completely falls out of the network and I have to pair it again. It’s very close to an outlet and I suspect it to route through the outlet.

1 Like

Hi,
I have (happily!) migrated from my Xiaomi Gateway to a CC2531 with zigbee2mqtt.
It works really well, thank you for the add-on and all the work.
It seems that the state messages are published on a regular (?) basis even if there is no change on the event.
For example, I have a few Xiaomi Door/Window sensor. With the Xiaomi Gateway, the gateway is sending the new state when the sensor move from open to close (or the opposite). It is done only once when the “real” event occurs. With the zigbee2mqtt gateway, I receive messages even if there no change in the contact state.
Is that the intended situation? How often this message are sent? Is it possible to disable this update (when no change occur) ?
Thanks,
GV

I think devices send their state every hour in case there is no change (e.g. to update battery/signal).
This is baked into the Xiaomi devices themselves, I haven’t seen any way to disable it.

I guess the Gateway just masked those updates.

Just read about a new Ikea product. A small remote for controlling music playback.
Could be interesting.

3 Likes