[zigbee2mqtt] Tradfri bulbs disappeared, can't re-add

I have 3 GU10 Tradfri bulbs in a single light fitting, and have had them paired with zigbee2mqtt using a USB CC2531. Been working fine for over a year.

Today, all 3 bulbs had disappeared. Other zigbee devices are connected and working fine, apart from those that were connected to the now un-paired lights. No biggie, I thought; just reset and re-pair the bulbs. I enable join mode in zigebee2mqtt via the webUI and look at the logs. Then I do the on/off flick 6 times and the lights start pulsing. Usually nothing at all appears in the log, but once I did get:

Info MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/log', payload '{"message":{"friendly_name":"0x680ae2fffe138133"},"type":"entity_not_found"}'
Error Entity '0x680ae2fffe138133' is unknown 

repeated for the other 2 bulbs, with their appropriate IDs. 

I’ve rebooted HA (running hassio in docker on ESXi), disconnected any other nearby zigbee bridges, and tried the pairing process several times but now I’m out of ideas.

Has anyone else come across this issue? Thanks!

Have you completely removed those devices from Zigbee2mqtt, Mosquitto broker and Home Assistant before you tried to re-add them?

There is a good guide and thread about the latter here on how to do that properly.

Hmm, I don’t have ‘MQTT’ under dev tools. I’ve installed the MQTT Broker via the UI add-on store and have my mqtt server defined in my configuation.yaml as below:

</s> <s>mqtt:</s> <s> broker: localhost</s> <s> discovery: true</s> <s> username: mqttlocal</s> <s> password: ******</s> <s> discovery_prefix: homeassistant</s> <s>

Is there anything else I need to do? Stuck at the first hurdle!

Edit: Found it, it’s been moved. I get device not found when I try to remove it using ‘zigbee2mqtt/bridge/config/remove’ and I also don’t see them using MQTT explorer, so I assume they’ve already been removed automatically. They don’t appear in HASS. Still can’t re-add them.

I’m still unable to re-add these lights, despite them already being removed from Zigbee2mqtt and HA itself. I get nothing in the logs when I try to add them. Anybody have any further things for me to look into?

Have you installed MQTT-addon version 5.1.1? That version seems to be broken. Take a look here.

Thanks @tamsy! I’ve just downgraded to MQTT Broker 5.1 as per that thread, and can see a lot more in the logs now, but sadly still nothing regarding these bulbs.

What is zigbee2mqtt saying in its logs when you try to pair one of these bulbs?

Nothing at all sadly. Which points at an issue elsewhere, but these bulbs are in the same spot as they were when I originally set them up with zigbee2mqtt.

Maybe try (another) reset of the bulbs? From ON to OFF 6 times until they shortly blink once.
And did you make sure that zigbee2mqtt has “permit_join” set to “true” and the addon has been restarted after this was set?

I’ve been doing it from ON to ON, turning them off 6 times in between. This does result in them pulsing, and eventually (presumably timing out) and just turning on solid.

I’ve enabled permit_join but didn’t restart zigbee2mqtt in between attempts. Trying that now!

As for that setting the addon has to be restarted once for the setting to take effect. Don’t forget to do the same if you want to forbid permit_join (false) again.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I still don’t see anything in the zigbee2mqtt logs after restarting the addin. I also restarted the mqtt service and HA itself just in case.

Phew, now I have to give up.

You wrote that all 3 bulbs disapeared all of a sudden just like that. Can it be that i.e. a voltage spike or a lightning strike has happened in the neighborhood of your home which fried the zigbee chips? Maybe you can try to pair them at a different place, some friend’s or relative’s home?

Thanks so much for your help @Tamsy
I feared that this may be the issue. Unfortunately I don’t have any other GU10 fittings elsewhere in the house for testing, so I might just try getting a new bulb to test with.

You’re welcome. Please let us know how it finally works out. Very curious what the culprit is in this case.

Try unplugging the CC2531, and plugging it back in before pairing.

3 Likes

@francisp - my hero. my saviour.

I thought rebooting my container or HA would have been the same as unplugging and reconnecting this but apparently not! After doing this and attempting pairing again it worked immediately. You have no idea how long i’ve been standing in the hallway flicking these goddamn lights on and off.

Thank you so much!

1 Like