Zigbee2mqtt using a ZBDongle-P (Sonoff Zigbee 3.0) on Home Assistant Yellow

Hey all,

I hope this is the right place to ask, if not, please point me to the right place.

I have a HA Yellow and have been using Z2M via a ZZH! dongle. That stopped working a while ago and I think I broke it while flashing, so I got a Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB dongle in the mail today ( it says ZBDongle-P on the back…)

Before I decided to order this new dongle, I tried the internal zigbee antenna of the HA yellow, as it is at least listed as experimental in the documentation. This was my config:

{ "data_path": "/config/zigbee2mqtt", "socat": { "enabled": false, "master": "pty,raw,echo=0,link=/tmp/ttyZ2M,mode=777", "slave": "tcp-listen:8485,keepalive,nodelay,reuseaddr,keepidle=1,keepintvl=1,keepcnt=5", "options": "-d -d", "log": false }, "mqtt": { "server": "mqtt://192.XXX.XXX.XX:1883", "user": "thisisauser", "password": "thisisapassword" }, "serial": { "port": "/dev/ttyAMA1", "baudrate": 115200, "adapter": "ezsp", "rtscts": false } }

Now, plugging in the new dongle it gives me /ttyUSB0:

I am uanble to see the internal silicon labs chip from the HA yellow anymore? but I change it to

adapter: /dev/ttyUSB0 Z2M does not start. It gives me the following error:

Error: Reset error: Error: {“sequence”:-1} after 10000ms at /app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/ezsp/driver/uart.ts:299:23 at Queue.executeNext (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/utils/queue.ts:32:32)

Therefore…I am quite confused…HA Yellow sees the Sonoff dongle but I am unable to use it, only if I use my “old” config for the internal zigbee antenna I am able to start Z2M and pair devices.

I did disable ZHA in the integrations part of the settings, see here:

Any pointers maybe? I have the feeling I forgot to change something back or else, but reinstalling the add-on did not help…thanks in advance!

Can you see the adapter under HA Setup → System → Hardware → All Hardware?

Have you changed the Zigbee2MQTT configuration accordingly from link=/tmp/ttyZ2M to link=/tmp/ttyUSB0

My socat (Synology VM with HAOS and with Sonoff Dongle-P)

enabled: false
master: pty,raw,echo=0,link=/tmp/ttyUSB0,mode=777
slave: tcp-listen:8485,keepalive,nodelay,reuseaddr,keepidle=1,keepintvl=1,keepcnt=5
options: "-d -d"
log: false

Edit: You should also completely delete ZHA and then not set it up again as/for a test or something. If Discovery for ZHA recognizes the dongle again set it to be ignored.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes, I can see that.

I did not know, that I have to change something there. I did input ttyUSB0 there, but still I get the same error. ZHA is also completely deleted & ignored…

enabled: false
master: pty,raw,echo=0,link=/tmp/ttyUSB0,mode=777
slave: tcp-listen:8485,keepalive,nodelay,reuseaddr,keepidle=1,keepintvl=1,keepcnt=5
options: "-d -d"
log: false

you had it in your code with ** **; but I tried it with or without, no change here.

base_topic: zigbee2mqtt
server: mqtt://192.XXX.XXX.XX:1883
user: XXX
password: XXX
port: /dev/ttyUSB0

The error:

[18:54:22] INFO: Preparing to start...
[18:54:22] INFO: Socat not enabled
[18:54:25] INFO: Starting Zigbee2MQTT...
Zigbee2MQTT:info  2023-06-30 18:54:31: Logging to console and directory: '/config/zigbee2mqtt/log/2023-06-30.18-54-31' filename: log.txt
Zigbee2MQTT:info  2023-06-30 18:54:31: Starting Zigbee2MQTT version 1.31.2 (commit #unknown)
Zigbee2MQTT:info  2023-06-30 18:54:31: Starting zigbee-herdsman (0.14.117)
Error: Reset error: Error: {"sequence":-1} after 10000ms
    at /app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/ezsp/driver/uart.ts:299:23
    at Queue.executeNext (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/utils/queue.ts:32:32)

Kinda clueless now?

Sorry, the ** ** are from the formatting in the forum. I just corrected it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Zigbee2MQTT Version 1.31.2-1

A small difference

User = addons and no PW.
FYI: Mosquitto broker Current version: 6.2.1 and with Port 1883

The other settings

If you search Google for the error you will find some information about it. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you more about that.

Thanks for your help!

I figured it out:

Somehow changing the config in the add-on did not alter the zigbee2mqtt.yaml file in /config…not sure why. Deleting that and re-installing the add-on did the trick.

Thank you for your input! @jim_os - appreciate it.

3 Likes