Zmodo Greet / Doorbell camera / Doorbell MQTT

Hey guys. I’m looking for a more economical doorbell camera than the Ring doorbell and came across good reviews for Zmodo Greet (https://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-Greet-Video-Doorbell-Extender/dp/B01KT0PNVQ/) . Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it does not expose a local IP camera. Has anyone gotten this to work with HASS somehow?

Moving beyond this product, does anyone know of a different option outside of the Ring doorbell which is too expensive for my budget? As a last resort, is there an off-the-shelf MQTT doorbell that is powered by the doorbell transformer and can also chime the mechanical bell?

I know this is an old topic, but I’m on the same hunt. I don’t like the Ring because of the required cloud subscription to save any videos. I’d much rather grab something like the Zmodo and access a local video stream. I haven’t been able to find if this is possible for their doorbell products though.

Has anyone looked at this or other Ring alternatives that are (a) powered by the low-voltage doorbell circuit, and (b) offer local video stream access without a cloud subscription?

I never found what I was looking for. I ended up using a Xiaomi door/window sensor near my mechanical doorbell chime to alert when the button is pressed (magnet triggers the reed switch) and set an automation that takes a still image from my outdoor camera and sends it to me via pushbullet.

I saw someone tied an old Android phone with Tasker that would start a SIP call with sound over a bluetooth shower speaker mounted outside. I have plans to try this to add the communications element but using Hangouts. It’s pretty hacky but it would fit right in with all my other kludges.

1 Like

Just this weekend I tried to do that same thing with my doorbell chime, with two different door/window sensors, and I couldn’t get either of them to trigger – even when it was literally touching the magnetic coil around the chime hammer.

Mine definitely has a sweet spot but I was able to find it after a bit of trying.

I found this on it.

using mplayer:
this option plays it with mplayer on linux

sudo echo -e ‘\x55\x55\xaa\xaa\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x50’ |netcat -w 600 localip 8080 | mplayer -fps 24.976 -demuxer h264es -

this saves it to a file, strange thing on this is you can see your ssid and encryption password in plain text. just run the command for a few seconds then read the h264 file.

echo -e ‘\x55\x55\xaa\xaa\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x50’ |netcat -w 600 localip 8000 > video.h264

idk try it out see what you can do with it, ive only tried the 2nd choice been to lazy to boot linux to a desktop and try the 1st, it didnt work for me using x11 forwarding on a ssh tunnel, ill try it sooner or later.

1 Like