Zooz 4-in-1 Sensor

I don’t have one of these, but i would suggestion looking into templates and attributes.
i suspect the battery value is an attribute that can be displayed with a template.

edit: sorry didn’t realize this was an old thread.

Ya, it’s an old thread but a relevant topic. I’ve already applied a template. The template shows up in automations and in the developer panel and in the dashboards, but it doesn’t show up as an entity nor is it associated to the device for which it is intended.

Additionally, the entities I’ve hidden in customization are not hidden.

- platform: template
  sensors:
    master_bathroom_shower_motion:
      value_template: "{{ is_state('sensor.zooz_zse40_4_in_1_sensor_burglar', '8') }}"
      friendly_name: "Master Bathroom Shower Zooz Motion"
      device_class: motion
    master_bathroom_shower_tamper:
      value_template: "{{ is_state('sensor.zooz_zse40_4_in_1_sensor_burglar', '3') }}"
      friendly_name: "Master Bathroom Shower Zooz Tamper"
      device_class: safety

What are you guys using for your Z-Wave controller @one4thedude @freshcoast I am using an old VeraPlus and it takes its sweet time to turn a light on. I went this route after reading Phil Hawthorne’s @philhawthorne excellent guide on getting HA working with a Vera in Docker on a Synology.
Just wondering if I need to “upgrade” to a dedicated Z-Wave USB stick and would that solve my speed?
I have a mix of GE/Jasco & Inovelli lights, but mainly Lutron Caseta with the Pro Hub.
Advice is greatly appreciated.
Is there any way to use VeraPlus to see how messages are routed from Vera to the device to see if that is where a bottleneck exists?

I added my Monoprice 15271 today and it added automatically in OpenZWave as a Vision Security ZP3102 PIR Motion Sensor, and it seems to have all the sensor data I’d expect from it:

• Temperature
  • Battery
  • Motion (Binary and Detected - not sure what detected is quite yet)
  • Tamper

I wish I could say the same for the Monoprice PIR. I have not had the same experience. Overall It’s been frustrating to deal with them.

I’ve been playing with both Z-wave & OpenZWave (beta) integrations with varying results. I’ve spent a bunch of time on both, and neither one feels ready to have an actual integration within H.A. (But that also could just be the nature of Z-Wave. My opinion only.)

I’ve tried 3 PIR / temp sensors and I’m using a Zooz ZST10 S2 Z-Wave Plus USB Stick as a controller on a raspberry pi.

General notes/impressions:

• I was never able to add the Z-wave integration via Configuration -> Integrations. It failed every time no matter what settings I entered. I was only able to add it by adding it into my configuration.yaml file directly and restarting.

• OpenZWave (beta) installed fine via Configuration -> Integrations just fine, however I had all kinds of issues trying to add devices.

• Z-Wave can be rather frustrating overall(!).

The 3 devices I’m using/trying to add are:

1. Monoprice 15271
    KFR-ZP3102US-5
    Z-Wave +

2. Monoprice 15271
    KFR-ZP3102US
    Z-Wave (Note: Not labeled as a “+” device. Not sure if it is or isn’t.)

3. Zooz ZSE40 4-in-1 sensor

(Which all appear to be a similar manufacturer under the hood(?))

In both integrations the Zooz ZSE40 4-in-1 sensor was the easiest to get up and working, and working correctly. Installing it via OpenZWave (beta) was by far the easiest and I had the best results from. (It’s making me want to abandon the Monoprice PIR’s and only go with the Zooz. However the pricing of the Monoprice PIR’s is much more appealing.) (In the Z-Wave integration the motion detects as either a 0 or 8. It lists much nicer in the OpenZwave (beta) integration.)

I have NOT had the same experience with the Monoprice PIR’s in either integration. I was never able to add either PIR when using OpenZWave. I spent a lot of time trying to get the nodes to connect but it always failed.

I was able to get both Monoprice PIR’s to connect when using the Z-Wave integration. But they both do not work as they should. (They both show up as a “Vision Security ZP3102 PIR Motion Sensor”).

Issues with both:

The motion detection never updates within the Lovelace card (added by simply listing out all the sensors). In the logs I see a type:Burgler event change from 8 to 255 but nothing changes within the Lovelace card. One sits at a value of 3 (older one without the “+” label) and the other sits at a value of 0.

Neither one show anything for the temperature. They both sit at a value of “0.0”. It never changes on either one.

In fact, None of the sensors (on either) appear to be updating at all.

So… where do I go from here? What is the best way to actually get the Monoprice PIR’s to work?

(It’s also the case that I’m doing this work on a test HA instance with plans to move it to a production version once I figure out how to get things working. I do NOT look forward to having to exclude and then add these nodes on a new instance since it’s been rather painful to get them up and running in the first place.)

Just to follow up on this. In case anyone is actually paying attention to this thread at all…

In order to complete a better test, I started from a fresh install (only basic configuration done) of HA and tried adding both Zwave and OpenZWave integrations. (A new HA install before installing either.) I suspect that some of my previous issues may have had something to do with installing integrations… deleting them… and installing other integrations over the top of the same HA installation.

This time I did have better luck. At least with OpenZWave (beta).

With all attempts, I did have the best luck with the Zooz 4-in1 sensors, but that may just have everything to do with using a Zooz ZST10 S2 Z-Wave Plus USB Stick. It is also much faster with it’s motion updates in comparison to the Monoprice PIRs, which are pretty slow at updating.

The regular Z-wave integration, still had issues with the Monoprice PIR’s. It always listed non usable entities that just didn’t work. Pretty much too much work to try to get the devices working. So I moved on to OpenZwave.

OpenZWave ended up working out the best. While the install is not as simple as just adding the integration (read the documentation if you are trying to install it, as there are other pieces that need to be in place first.). I was able to add All Z-Wave PIR devices but the much older Monoprice PIR. I was able to add it at one point but it never seems to work as it should. It could be a non Zwave plus device(?) or is just old enough to just be time to throw it out.

So overall, I personally found Zigbee to be much easier to work with but both do work.

Thank you for this…was going nuts expecting my Zooz 4-in-1 to toggle the “sensor” binary-sensor for motion but it wasn’t. Thought my was faulty.

Apparently I have to go build a binary-sensor for “burglar” to 8 (motion) or 0 (no motion).

Like someone else, I’m trying to control a bathroom fan on humidity…but I want the motion so I can not startle people (or make them cold sucking all the warm out) by turning it on/off only if its vacant. My alternative was going to be an Aqara motion and a separate Accurite temp+humidity but I would prefer it all in one little unit I can stick conveniently to the exhaust vent grill.