Zooz z-wave mini sensor

I’ve been playing with one of the ZooZ 4 in 1 sensors the past week or so. It’s nice, but it’s a bit slow on motion recognition. I thought I would get one of the smaller ZooZ z-wave mini sensors 2 in 1 (Light and motion). I purchased it from Amazon and it arrived on time and in good shape. I have to say it’s a cute little thing.
https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Motion-Light-Sensor-ZC10-16085198/dp/B01M00K2XE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492828808&sr=8-2&keywords=zooz+mini

In playing with it for the past 4 hours I’ve found a few pros and a few cons so I thought I would share them.
Pros.

• It's inexpensive
  • It's about the size of a golf ball
  • The inclusion/exclusion process is the simplest I have found yet. Just a button, no needles or paperclips needed.
  • Associating with Home Assistant was very simple and worked the first time.
  • It's quicker picking up motion than its larger cousin.
  • It's fairly rugged, mine took about an 8ft drop onto a solid wood floor and dd not break. (see con about sticky tape)
Cons
  • It's a golf ball with a really big red nose that occasionally flashes like Rudolph the Red Nose Rain deer.
  • I still haven't been able to get the luminance to return and value. I've tried both standard add node and secure add node. Still no value.
  • You still have to use a template to get to the battery level information.
  • The little sticky tape option they give you for mounting it, sticks to your walls very well, but not to the back of the sensor mount.

All in all, I think I will be happy with this if I can get the luminance to report. I’m using this on in my den and I want to adjust the lighting when the TV is on to provide a certain level of lighting. So the luminance is kind of critical to my needs.

Looks like a rebranded Neo Coolcam Motion Sensor. You should be able to disable the “red nose” in the settings via OZWCP. There you can also enable the LUX readings. But I’m basing that on my experience with the Neo Coolcam one but it looks identical so will most likely also apply to this product.

Hello Turboc, how is the sensor working out for you? I got it as well, and I am having issues with motion detection. Im using state change to trigger scenes. However, it seem very delayed. It seems like its related to On Trigger Duration, and only kicks in when the trigger turns off. The trigger on duration can only be lowered to 5 sec. How did you get around that?

I don’t think you will ever get a sensor to detect lack of motion quickly. Anytime it sees motion it will trigger, but it stays triggered till the specified timeout expires without seeing motion. Doing that would kill the battery I think.

I am trying to get this sensor to work with HA and no luck. The node shows up in probe mode but no info or entities. I have rebooted the server, deleted and re-added the node and still no luck. any ideas?

Are you using hass.io or one of the other install methods?
What steps are you using to install it?

They install fine for me so I know they work.

hass.io disclaimer: I have not tried hass.io. So even though I can’t think of any reason they would not work with hass.io I have no experience there.

I’m not using hass.io. Home Assistant installed on Ubuntu server 16.04 using python virtual environment.

Ok, same as me basically. I’m running rasbian but that shouldn’t make a difference. What steps did you use to add it to HA?

Are you using one of the aeotec zsticks or something else?

I’m using Aeotec ZW090 Z-Stick Gen5 US and I have 16 working zwave nodes. I unplugged the z-stick pressed the button for pairing and then pressed the button 3 times on the Zooz mini sensor to put in discovery mode. plugged back in the z-stick and restarted hass. node 17 showed up but no entities or vendor info.

ok, you have to push the button really fast. LOL Like 3 times in under 2 seconds. I’m guessing you tried unpairing it first…

I did but will try again tonight pushing the button really fast. Who knows, maybe that will work. I’ve tried everything else.

If that doesn’t work, their support team is really good. I have a new unit that they just sent me to see if it fixed another problem, and with it, inclusion mode is only two presses on the button. Three should not be a problem if you are excluding it, but not sure what it will do if you are trying to get to inclusion mode. You might also want to try factory default (10 presses really quick). Also, what is probably a silly question here, you are pressing the paperclip button on the bottom of the unit with the case closed, not the tamper button inside the cover. Right…

If you think you might have a bad unit reach out to mailto:[email protected] . They have been awesome working with me on an issue i’ve been having getting changes in config settings to take. They are located in NJ so they are on Eastern Time.

Chip

Thanks for all the info and I’ll try again tonight when I get home.

Got it working but took blowing away my zwave controller and re-adding all my nodes. Not sure why I had such a hard time with this one. Does anyone know the values the mini sensor uses for motion? My aeotec sensor uses “0” for no motion and “8” for motion.

I think it’s 7 and 8. go to the states page and watch it as you move your hand in front of it to see how it changes.

I have alarm level, alarm type, luminance and binary sensor but no burglar. Am I missing something? I would expect burglar for motion sensing.

I have the following

binary_sensor.garage_motion_sensor,
sensor.garage_motion_alarm_level,
sensor.garage_motion_alarm_type,
sensor.garage_motion_appliance,
sensor.garage_motion_burglar,
sensor.garage_motion_clock,
sensor.garage_motion_emergency,
sensor.garage_motion_luminance,
sensor.garage_motion_relative_humidity,
sensor.garage_motion_sourcenodeid,
sensor.garage_motion_system,