Zooz ZEN16 Binary Switch report errors (zwave 1.4)

I’m having an issue with my new Zooz ZEN16 Multirelay. I’ve got it included in my network, updated the config parameters in the zwcfg file with the latest XML data, etc. But, when I turn a relay on via HA UI, the relay closes, the switch icon in HA turns ON, but sometimes, seemingly randomly, the switch icon in HA turns back off a few seconds later, even though the relay is still closed (verified with a continuity test).

I’ve watched the zwave logs for the node, and I can see a notification report for the binary switch turning from FALSE to TRUE when the relay closes (and the icon turns ON). But, on those times when the icon turns back OFF after a few seconds, I see ANOTHER notification report in the logs that show the binary switch turning from TRUE to FALSE (and the switch icon turns OFF) even though the relay remains closed (ON).

Can anybody tell me for certain that that notification report indicates that the ZEN16 actually sent it, or is it a figment of HA’s imagination (e.g., a bug) generated in error by the zwave library or integration? I’m running zwave 1.4. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you turn on your relay via HA, then it will do normally:

• Set ON
  • Get state

If the Z-Wave device sends a report also when a “Set ON” happens, that’s strange (never seen it with Aeon/Fibaro devices).

If you have a few devices, you can try to switch to ZwaveJS, that’s looks like the future of the Z-Wave integration for HA.

BTW: It seems to be a bug in the device, with ZwaveJS it does the same:

Yeah, I’ve been waiting a bit to let the core integration get fleshed out a bit, especially a control panel and the ability to change config parameters. I’m tempted to use zwavejs2mqtt, but don’t want to go that route and end up moving to the other later on. I want to choose the best horse ONCE. I’ve got 84 zwave devices and (according to HA) 561 entities, all of which I’ve renamed. So… I only want to do this migration once.

Having said that, I’m trying to make this work with 1.4, if possible. I’ve only seen this behavior in HA when a device is offline (i.e., turn on a switch, it flips, then flips back) or sometimes when zwave is still starting up, oh, and there was this Fibaro smart plug that kept flipping back and forth, so I returned it.

This is the first Zooz product to exhibit this behavior, and I’m planning on using this relay to control heat, so it needs to work reliably. If you are interested, I can show you the logs when it works correctly and when it does not. The only difference is that very last notification that flips the state back to off. I don’t know enough about the integration to tell what’s going on or where the problem might lie. Thanks for the response, btw.

Just saw the link, will take a look.

Yep, that’s exactly it. Thanks! I’ll work it with Zooz.

Cheers!

Having a similar issue with Zen16 for garage door using reed switch. Did you ever get a resolution?

Yes. For me, all of the crazy stuff reported here was resolved with a FW update (v1.4 from vendor) and an upgrade to zwave-js via zwavejs2mqtt Add On. If you want the details, check the link provided by ualex73.