Zooz Zen20 800 LR Working for anyone else?

Hello! I just picked up three of these:

https://www.getzooz.com/zooz-zen20-power-strip/

They are the Zooz Zen20 800LR. I have several of the non-800 versions as well, they work great. I tried to Include these into Home Assistant, and it keeps failing to successfully include. I have 800 LR working in my environment (8 800 LR devices). Z-Wave Controller is Zooz ZST39 LR (FW v1.20, SDK v7.19.3)
I am running Home Assistant 2024.7.3. HA OS 12.4. Supervisor 2024.06.2. I am running zwave-js-ui: 9.16.2. zwave-js: 13.0.2.

Two of the Zooz Zen20 are not including (I have logs), I haven’t bother to take the third one out of the box yet. Looks like there is no firmware update for Zen20 yet (ver 2 has firmware update, but this is ver 3 I think).
https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/1158-zooz-ota-firmware-files/

I have tried to include multiple times both at the final location where I want them as well as trying to include them right next to the controller.

Before I start to file bugs with Z-waveJS or engage Zooz support has anyone else gotten these to work on 800 LR yet? I haven’t tried to include them under non-800 LR, but I kinda didn’t want to do that unless I REALLY had to, which would also make me kinda grumpy to have to downgrade that way.

Thanks!

1. Every Zooz device I’ve owned has the firmware printed on the housing. I would try checking to see if yours are the same.
  2. You have to set the region on your controller to Z-Wave Long Range. If you don’t do this first nothing else will work.
  3. Did you try to exclude the devices first?
  4. To include a device in Long Range you have to use the tools on smart start page to add your device to the provisioning list. You can scan a QR code, upload a picture of the QR code, or manually enter the DSK. Once that info is added to the list just toggle the Z-Wav Long Rang option then toggle the active button. Once done it should look like this.

1 Like

Thanks @cornellrwilliams

1. Problem is zooz has no published firmware for the device yet. It is a new hardware version (supporting 800 LR) and appears too new to the market (just released this month) so no firmware has been published to their OTA firmware site yet. I have the previous hardware version of the device (which does show on their OTA firmware listing).
  2. Z-Wave Long Range is already working. Good advice for others who might follow this thread, but in my case, I have 8 other devices Included under Z-Wave Long Range and they are all working fine.
  3. When these devices didn’t include first, I did exclude them, and try again multiple times as well as factory reset them according to the manufacturers manual. I tried initially in the final location where I want the device (inclusion interview incomplete), I tried them closer to the controller (same result), I tried them right next to the controller (same result). Each time, I would exclude it (which does work) and attempt to include it again. Each time, I see the usual logs (New SmartStart Device detected, Added, beginning interview etc)

What’s interesting in the logs is the Node gets added, and it starts inclusion, but then as it is trying to complete Node Interview, the device begins to repeatedly become unavailable, and the node interview enters a repeated cycle where it can’t move further. I didn’t want to get into it technically here (typing up my troubleshooting steps, posting logs, posting diagnostics), since I’ll probably just end up doing this all over again with both Zooz support and/or with the z-wavejs github issues, was just looking for confirmation from others to see if they are including and completing interview fine for everyone else or not.

1. Again, great suggestion for others who might not have any other Z-Wave LR devices or this is their first Z-Wave LR device, but these are my 9th and 10th Z-Wave LR device, so already figured out that you add the DSK, change the protocol to Z-Wave Long Range and set to Active button, then begin inclusion. Thanks for the image!
1 Like

Update. Today Home Assistant add-ons updated Z-WaveJS UI to version v3.10.0 which includes updates to zwave-js/node-zwave-js: Z-Wave driver written entirely in JavaScript/TypeScript (github.com) now version 13.1.0 and still it will not get past the Inclusion process part:

received information for multi channel association group #1:

I have opened a support case with Zooz to see if they can shed some light on the matter.

I was able to pair the strip (S2) just fine to my 500 series controller. I can control it from HA but the strip doesn’t send any state/power/status updates back to the hub. If I manually ask for a refresh in ZWaveJS the correct values are fetched but never proactively pushed.

I just submitted a ticket to Zooz for support.

Zooz got back to me with a Beta firmware for the ZEN20 800 which has resolved the issue for me! It reports as firmware 4.12.0, if you’re having issues email Zooz support. Hopefully they just push this out as a general fix soon.

1 Like

Try using the Z-Wave PC Controller software. It will actually tell you if the device you included supports Z-Wave Long Range or not. If you see an X in the Long Range Column that means the device supports Z-Wav Long Range but is not included Long Range mode. If you don’t see anything in the LR Column that means the device doesn’t support Z-Wave Long Range.

PC Controller