Zooz Zen24 v4.0 and Open-ZWave Beta

Has anyone else tried using the new Open-ZWave Beta integration with Zooz v4.0 switches?

I switched to the new beta integration because I was about to add 25 switches to my house, and wanted to ensure I didn’t have to re-do everything when the switchover occurred.

The switches I got were still v3.0x, so I reached out to Zooz and got the firmware to upgrade them to the latest version (4.01). When I first installed them with v3.x, everything was fine. I upgraded the firmware on one switch, which was a big headache (ended up with a dead node, etc). But that one seems to work fine.

A week later, I upgraded 2 more to v4, and then the problems started. As soon as you toggle these two switches (should be the same hardware and reports the same firmware), they cause a flood of Value refreshed: Node XX, Instance 1, Label Dimming Duration and ... Label Target Value events on the network, which locks it up. I have to shut down Open-ZWave server to get it back to working again.

I’ve already been in discussion with the Zooz team, providing them as much info as I can find. I’ve done factory resets on the switches, added and removed them many times, etc. No matter what, I get that issue.

Right now those switches are off the network. I’ve got the older firmware to try downgrading, but before I do, I figure I should reach out and see if anyone else has any suggestions.

I’ve seen a lot of discussions about similar issues (if not exactly the same), such as these:

These are really old issues, that seem to be related to how Open-ZWave checks for changes in values, but nobody is merging the fix in.

The issue is related to changes for https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave/issues/1321.

Your only choices are to either install a custom version of the addon, or use build-150 of the official docker image. Build-150 is the last image that was built prior to the bad changes.

Are you saying you didn’t see any problem with the old Zooz firmware? Unless the firmware upgrade also incremented the version number of the multilevel switch command class, it should be an issue with those as well. The issue is only present for switches that support the target value.

Thank you for responding!

Yeah, for whatever reason, both my 3.06 switch and the other 4.01 switch that isn’t doing this, work as expected. I can turn them on-and-off, dim them, and even control them from within HA without issue.

The two newer switches, though, simply don’t work.

Your only choices are to either install a custom version of the addon, or use build-150 of the official docker image. Build-150 is the last image that was built prior to the bad changes.

I’m not sure I understand what to do here. I just installed the OpenZWave add-on from within the Supervisor. I don’t know how I’d change the version of this.

That’s a little odd, I would expect them to all behave the roughly same, then again for my GE switches the behavior is pretty sporadic even for the same switches.

I’m not sure I understand what to do here. I just installed the OpenZWave add-on from within the Supervisor. I don’t know how I’d change the version of this.

You can’t easily. There’s probably a way to build your own addon, but that’s not anything I know how to do. The other alternative is to install the Portainer addon (community addon?) and install the official docker image yourself.

Hmm, that’s really frustrating. If I determine that downgrading the firmware doesn’t work, it sounds like I might have to revert back to the old Z-Wave Integration then to get these switches working.

In trying to prevent a future headache, I might have given myself a different kind of headache. I appreciate your help.

I have a Zooz Zen27 Dimmer that was working fine on Firmware 3.00. I JUST upgraded to firmware 3.01 and am having the same exact issues as you are. So perhaps there was indeed a change to the new Zooz firmwares as well?

I’ve reached out to Zooz to request a downgraded firmware, and will reflash to that later today. I’ll report back with my findings to see if it resolves the issue.

The ozwcache*.xml file or the MQTT data would tell you which version of the command class it is. If the new one is Switch Multilevel V4, that has the troublesome “target” value. If the old firmware is < V4, it does not support the target value and doesn’t have the problem.

In MQTT it would be for example:
topic: OpenZWave/2/node/3/instance/1/commandclass/38/
data:

{
    "Instance": 1,
    "CommandClassId": 38,
    "CommandClass": "COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL",
    "CommandClassVersion": 2,
    "TimeStamp": 1604041767
}

Well this is just bizarre. The node that I didn’t update (18), shows a command class of 4:

{
    "CommandClassVersion": 4,
    "TimeStamp": 1603828398
}

The node that I updated (19) but for some reason still works shows a command class of 0, so it must have gotten configured incorrectly when I added it:

{
    "CommandClassVersion": 0,
    "TimeStamp": 1603828398
}

I haven’t checked the other ones because they aren’t on the network at this time.

Can we manually override the CommandClass? I don’t even know where ozwcache*.xml lives in the OZW Beta to modify it.

Thanks again for all your help so far! At least I’m narrowing this down.

You could try a “refresh node” on node 19. It’s available in the OZW Integration Configuration.

EDIT: Oh, I misread that. A version of 0 is strange, in that case OZW would treat it as version 1, I believe.

To confirm I wasn’t crazy, I finally wired up brand new switch, which has the 3.06 firmware. It’s configured as CommandClassVersion 4, and yet everything works perfectly.

I’m trying to decide between upgrading this to v4.01 to see if it breaks everything, or downgrading the other switches to 3.x and see if they work again. I’ll probably do the latter, because I don’t really need the new features (the main one being you can hold down the switch to turn on dim for “night light” mode).

Given how slow it is to upgrade the firmware, anyway, I think just reverting the 3 I upgraded to the old version is less work and less risk than upgrading the other 22 switches I have.

Unfortunately, I haven’t received the downgraded firmware for my ZEN27 from Zooz yet, otherwise, I would have given you a second opinion if it resolved the issue for me. The newest firmware that started causing the dimming issues (3.01 in my case) for me, was just released October 2020.

Interesting, that’s almost the exact same date as the 4.01 software released for the ZEN24v3 I’m using switches. The 4.0 software was released September 2020, and the 3.0 software is from March or even 2019.

What I find interesting is the release notes for 4.01 are this:

• Changed power outage behavior in smart bulb mode
  • Applied timers to status reports in smart bulb mode
  • Changed the setting for Z-Wave ramp rate to automatically match the physical ramp rate (Parameter 17 set to default value 0)
  • Applied the ramp rate settings to Z-Wave triggered brightness transitions (multilevel changes)
  • Improved single-tap and long-tap timing for scene control triggers

Note the line I marked in bold, that sounds directly related to the issues we’re having. I’ll have to follow up with Zooz about this, assuming I get confirmation that downgrading to 3.07 fixes my original issues.

1 Like

Great news! Downgrading to the older firmware appears to have fixed the “upgraded” switches.

@moto2000 I hope they get back with you quickly about the downgraded firmware. I’m going to write to them to let them know of my findings. While they can’t necessarily fix Open-ZWave, they might want to remove that feature (or make it optional?) if it means their switches no longer work with Open-ZWave!

1 Like

Finally able to confirm as well, that downgrading resolved the issue for me too. Hope either OZW or Zooz finds a solution to this quickly!

1 Like

Yesterday I went through the process of downgrading my ZEN27 dimmer switches (from 3.01 to 2.08) to fix this issue. The switches worked exactly as expected after completing the downgrade. However, I did run into a very minor hiccup when trying to perform the firmware update using the recommended “Z-Wave PC Controller” software, with a simple solution that I haven’t seen documented anywhere.

Following the official Zooz firmware update instructions ( https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/253-how-to-perform-an-ota-firmware-update-on-zooz-devices/ ) caused the update to fail with a “Status: Invalid Fragment Size=0x02” error. My solution was to decrease the “Fragment Size” field from 40 to 20.

Just got my first zooz 27 switch and having this same issue. Device completely takes down the network. Did you all have to reach out to them to get the downgraded firmware or is it hosted somewhere?

Yeah, just reach out to Zooz support explaining that you’d like the older firmware version—I don’t know specifically which version works with ZEN27, but if you tell them what’s happening and it’s related to taking down the OpenZWave network, they probably know. I’ve talked to the same 2 people every time, and they are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Downgraded FW and everything is working fine. Thanks for the help