Zooz ZSE11 motion sensor cannot change config parameters

I have a zooz ZSE11 motion detector and cannot get Home Assistant to report motion detection. I’ve been told by Zooz that I have to change parameter 16 (Motion Detection: Send Binary Sensor Reports). Zooz support has told me that to change parameters I need to open the config screen and change parameter 16. Then I will get a message “The parameter change has been queued, and will be updated when the device wakes up.”. Next I need to press and hold the Z-wave button on the device of 3 seconds. I’ve done that over and over and the message never disappears. And, if I close the Config window and reopen it the value has not changed.

Have you experienced this problem and found a solution?

I had a similar problem a year ago. Unfortunately I don’t remember the resolution then. Maybe just luck. But, Zooz said some users had problems using the builtin panel and that is the one I’m using. They recommended switching to Zwavjs2Mqtt (which is now Zwave_js_ui). Has anyone installed that and has it helped?

Thanks.

Here is my version info:
Home Assistant 2023.8.4
Supervisor 2023.08.1
Operating System 10.5
zwave_js - Driver Version: 11.13.1, Server Version: 1.31.0
ZSE11 Firmware: 1.9
zwave USB controller: 700 Series, by Silicon Labs, Firmware: 7.17.2

I don’t know if it will help this specific case (really JsUI is just a console on top of JS so you’re not really changing anything) but I’ll tell you it’s a very worthwhile upgrade if your system supports it. The new map and troubleshooting tools alone are worth it. So it might help you fix whatever is the actual issue.

Follow freshcoast’s guide here:

Have you tried removing the battery and reinserting? That should cause it to wake-up.

Does the node status sensor in HASS for the device ever go to awake or is it always sleeping (add it to the recorder and look at a history graph).

Finally what’s the wake-up interval set to? Perhaps set it to 60 minutes so that it wake up once an hour to get any config changes. Once it’s stable move it back to once a day. Even if you can’t force it to wake-up, if its configured wake-up interval is a day, make the config changes and look at it tomorrow.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the suggestion and the great instructions. So far no success in getting parameter 16 changed. But, I agree this is a much better control panel and well worth the effort of installing.

1 Like

Pete:
Thanks for responding and for the suggestions. I have tried changing a parameter and then while the UI says the change is queue I remove and reinsert the batteries and that doesn’t help.

The device is supposed to wake up every 4 hours and I’ve tried leaving a change queue overnight and that doesn’t help.

I’ve never seen that it is awake. I created an automation that fires if the entity sensor.front_porch_sensor_node_status changed and it has never fired.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Interesting. Sounds to me like that device may be broken. Try a factory reset and use the replace node function to rejoin it. I’d also try joining it with no security. If that doesn’t work, RMA it with Zooz.

Pete: After resetting the device several times I also think it is broken. It is supposed to wake up every 4 hours but after leaving the change queued overnight it was not applied. I have ordered a new one. Thanks for responding to my post,

The following seems to work for getting the device to wake up:
This is done using the Z-Wave JS integration.

1. Expand the ZSE11 Device info
  2. Scroll down to the Custom Configuration section and set the following parameters
  3. Parameter= 16, Size = 1, Value = 0, Format U
  4. Click set
  5. Press the z-wave 4 times
    For some unknown reason this seems to work where just changing the parameter in the Configuration section didn’t work

I have two ZSE11, powered by USB (no battery). There is no issue with updating parameters in Z-Wave JS UI. They update instantly. Batteries introduce an unnecessary point of failure, IMO. If there is any chance you can run without, you should do so. I also have two ZSE18 on USB power.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to me. I am using battery and I don’t have an outlet nearby.

Yesterday I found this article in Zooz support. I had been trying to update parameter 16 by going to the Configuration section on the device dropdown. Then I change parameter 16 from 1 to 0 and clicked the >. The rotating icon appeared. I then tried to wake the device up. No luck. In the article referenced above it said to use the “Custom configuration” section. I tried that and as soon as I tried to wake the device up a couple of messages appeared saying the device woke up and the device had been updated.

I’m away for a couple of days but plan to try that again and if it works I’ll update my post and will notify Zooz. I’ll also post an issue on the authors github issues.

Thanks again for responding.

I found that the instructions in the user manual did not work. To update the advanced settings I needed to wake up the sensor with three quick presses (same as inclusion). A single long press as stated in the manual didn’t work.

1 Like