ZST10-700 Firmware

I believe you’ll need to use Silicon Labs Simplicity Studio. You’ll need to create an account.

Zooz stick is North America only.

1 Like

Using Zwave-JS. Updated firmware to 7.17 on ZST10 700 series. Unfortunately after updating and putting the device back into my NUC the ZWaveJS service did not recognize the new firmware version for the controller and devices were not responsive. After uninstalling and reinstalling the ZWave-JS service all devices were recognized along with the updated firmware version for the controller but now I’m left with manually setting the name for all 91 devices. Is there any way I can avoid having to do this in the future if another firmware update is needed?

This is how I updated the FW on my stick.

1. Shutdown HA and VM
  2. Using Silicon Labs Simplicity Studio Z-Wave PC Controller (you need to install this inside SS),
  3. Using the OTW Function (Over The Wire), I selected the FW file and updated.
  4. Closed SS
  5. Restarted the HA VM and everything was done, with no connection or naming issues.

Since my Host is Windows (same machine I installed SS on), I didn’t have to move my stick to a windows machine. So that would be the only extra step if the host the stick is plugged into is not Windows.

2 Likes

You are likely using the HA Addon. I use zwavejs2mqtt direct from the original developer. On my test system I updates my Zooz 700 Series stick & zwavejs2mqtt had no issues recognizing it. I did make sure I was running their latest version first, though. The HA addons are, many times, a little behind from the latest releases.

I emailed Zooz and they tell me that their testing shows the new firmware fixes the reported issues. They send me the same (as verified by checksum) file that everyone else is passing around. They didn’t know how to update without Windows, but I found https://github.com/kpine/zwave-js-server-docker/wiki/700-series-Controller-Firmware-Updates-(Linux), and it seems to have worked as expected.

Now if I try the update process again again, the xmodem upload aborts right away. Can someone confirm these two things?

1. I assume this is because something is recognizing that it it’s already the current version?
  2. In zwave2mqtt, it shows up as version v7.17, not v7.17.1 as I was expecting. Is this normal?

And I guess a third thing, depending on the answers… is there a way to verify what’s on the stick?

Thanks!

The firmware update process won’t let you apply the same version or older, only newer. Z-Wave JS doesn’t show the minor version, so all you’ll see is 7.17. Assuming your stick was on an older version, it appears you upgraded successfully.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s good confirmation. I do wish there were a way to specifically verify, but seems good enough.

It is interesting that the upload is failed immediately rather than once complete. Must be something it can very quickly check in the header.

I’m still having issues with network traffic even after update 🤷

I’m curious how those issues manifest, so I can look for the same. Has Zooz tech support been any help?

I have a bunch of smart zigbee bulbs that are in turn controlled by zwave. There is substantial delay when trying to execute any z wave commands. I’ve got 93 devices or so on the network. I initially thought it was a zigbee delay but when I try from the app nearly everything with zigbee is instantaneous. I also have periods where they just don’t respond at all

I strongly suspect some device firmware issues too. Unless they only use Zooz devices on their network Zooz support may not be able to help.

I reached out to Zooz tech support - they just put together an official KB article on this:
https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/931-how-to-perform-an-ota-firmware-update-on-your-zst10-700-z-wave-stick/

This is honestly a terrible way to do it. That software isn’t really meant for end-users, and the whole process has a bunch of weird hoops. The process in the link above (this) might seem more geeky and intimidating if you’re not used to the Linux command line, but… it’s really a lot more straightforward and something similar is almost certainly better and easier even on Windows.

Also, um, either way this is not an OTA update. It’s just a regular in-the-field manual firmware update.

I’m not sure what your saying here but the zooz way is easy and straightforward and supported. Took all of 5 minutes to update the stick after powering off the pi, removing it and pluggng it into the pc to upgrade. The whole process took less than 10 minutes.

Also for anyone else considering the upgrade, it solved my issues completely so far. I also rediscovered each device and had 100% success now. Very pleased so far.

I agree; It was easy for me use also, and I’m slightly tech challenged.

1 Like

I wonder if I can OTA the fixed firmware using zwavejs2mqtt since it has that feature…

Thanks for sharing, so did you lose all your Z-Wave associations? I really don’t want to have to exclude/include over 30 devices back to my stick?!

Happy to report I lost nothing. When HA started back up everything was in place and worked as expected. I did back up the NV RAM before taking this on just in case but it wasn’t needed.

1 Like