Zwave 800 Long Range Not Working

Than it is a VM problem, not a HAOS problem. You still have not said what your VM setup is, but the key here is to introduce the USB stick to your VM environment (and off from the device manager of your Windows OS).

Also, there are other ways to express frustration without resorting to cursing. You have better choices of words to articulate.

1 Like

thanks, sorry

usb pass through was my problem

2 Likes

In case someone runs into the same issue, I could not connect any of my devices, only to realize my stick is in US mode frequency. So Flash the EU firmware Zooz OTA Firmware Files - Zooz Support Center

1 Like

I would like to mention that this github issue is now closed as the 800 Series Controllers are now fully supported in Node Z-Wave JS. Unfortunately, this does not mean that long range support is available in Home Assistant.

As I understand it, this thread is for a dependency of Z-Wave JS UI, called Node Z-Wave JS. Since the dependency has now been updated, the update will trickle down to Z-Wave JS UI when the author of Z-Wave JS UI next updates it. After this, there needs to be one more trickle down from Z-Wave JS UI to the Z-Wave JS UI Addon for Home Assistant for long range support.

1 Like

Zwave long range on home assistant

2 Likes

You need to be using Z-Wave JS UI version 9.10 and higher. You must also be using a 700 or 800 series Z-Wave controller. Your devices must also support Z-Wave Long Range. You can tell if your device supports Z-Wave Long Range by looking at the logo on the device or packaging.

1. Go into the settings and generate your long range security keys
  2. Change your controller region to Z-Wave Long Range
  3. Go to the smart start page and scan your QR code.
  4. Change the inclusion mode to Long Range
  5. Make the entry on the smart start page active.
1 Like

Including a device in Long Range is done exclusively on the smart start page. You can get to the smart start page by click the QR code icon.

Thanks… I have it all working…

More difficult to install than I expected due to the dance with the existing Zwave JS. But all good now.

The inclusion process with smart start doesn’t work with scanning the QR code from the camera on the phone (perhaps IOS specific). But was able to do what I needed from a computer with a photo of the QR code.

Try cool to have this as an option with home assistant.

you need to have https setup in order to scan qr codes using your camera.

Got it… Thanks

This is great news !

Is there any plan to make Long Range inclusion work without SmartStart ?

I have 13 ZEN76 800LR hardwired switches that are already installed. I would really like to re-include them in LR mode, as some of them have reliability problems - signal not always getting through, some significant percentage of the time.

I kept a spreadsheet of the S2 PINs for all my Z-Wave devices. However, I do not have a copy of the QR code for each. I’m not even sure where it’s located on the device. But I do not want to open all those wall boxes.

I had at some point in the past saved all my devices in the SmartStart tab of Z-Wave JS UI. Unfortunately, that tab is currently completely unpopulated. Not sure if I can find an old backup that still has that data.

Is this SmartStart requirement for LR being dictated by the hardware, or it a limitation of Z-Wave JS UI ?

I was able to restore the Smartstart entries from a backup, since I don’t have access to the QR code for my hardwired devices.

I ran exclusion on my 14 ZEN76 800LR devices. Some were so far away and unreliable that exclusion failed. I had to do several factory resets and removed dead notes.

I then went to the SmartStart page.
I clicked the “Z-wave” icon to change to “Z-wave LR” for each of these devices. This was not at all obvious to figure out.
I then turned the slider on for one of my ZE76 800LR .

Now I need to fix all the automations that used these switches, sigh.
That is very hard and a lot of work. It shouldn’t have to be. I wish there was a seamless way to switch from regular Z-Wave to Z-Wave LR without changing all the entity IDs in Home Assistant …

For anyone who has their Z-Wave devices paired, but not the QR code, take a look at How to export paired devices' S2 DSK PIN? ¡ zwave-js/node-zwave-js ¡ Discussion #3910 ¡ GitHub .

This needs to be run in Advanced / Driver functions. It will output device details to the debug console, including the DSK.

1 Like